First timer build and questions

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: First timer build and questions

Postby dancam » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:31 pm

So how do you guys canvass a ceiling? I tried searching here and didn,t find what i was looking for. Any threads where its explained? any tips or tricks? Thanks. This is what mine looks like so far, just wondering how to canvass the ceiling inside once i get it done. Image
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:38 am

It was mentioned before you could canvas the foam pieces before gluing them together , the canvas between the glue joint shouldn’t affect the bond .
That or flip it on a side or upside down( these foam structures are pretty light .) Overhead canvasing work seems to be the most difficult , but can be done with unthinned T2, patience , and a few “pins” ... we used blow gun darts as big pins to hold the fabric till it “grabbed” ... Accurate measuring and cutting is important and just less to wrestle onto the ceiling ...
From now on , we’re going to pre canvas the foam panels before assembly ... Working flat on a big table is so easy ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:36 pm

I am working on that problem right for about 2 weeks now. I think I have it figured out (without rolling trailer on side or top). I agree though, next build inside panels will be canvased before assembly.

I hope to put my plan into action next weekend, if all goes well. I will post if it works or is a no go...
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Nice to see that on the trailer! I'm in the same boat as you, nowhere heated to work indoors. I was also thinking of getting one of those popup car shelters. Looks like we're not gonna see anything over 10 degrees next week in Edmonton.... :thumbdown:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks guys. I could possibly have built a flat surface and glued the whole roof together and canvassed it, then tried to stick the whole 12ft thing in at once, but it would have been pretty difficult and time consuming with just the 2 of us. I also didnt ask until i had already put almost half the roof in... :/
The only way i can think of doing it now is to lay the trailer on its side. However the side that ends up down will most likely get damaged because we will have to stand in it to canvass the ceiling and we only have a very bumpy lawn that isnt level.
So im not sure what to do. Hoping to canvass this saterday. Where do you buy blow gun darts? Their probably illegal in Canada, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 am

Bamboo skewers work, too, but sometimes the glue grabs them and they aren't easy to pull out. If that happens just trim flush (or below flush and fill) and abandon them in place.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby fotooutdoors » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Could you lay the trailer down on a sheet of OSB? Not free, but better than denting up all your hard work.

Sent on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.
fotooutdoors
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:49 pm

Camp4Life wrote:Nice to see that on the trailer! I'm in the same boat as you, nowhere heated to work indoors. I was also thinking of getting one of those popup car shelters. Looks like we're not gonna see anything over 10 degrees next week in Edmonton.... :thumbdown:

I am also in Edmonton,hi there ;) . I built panels flat and laminated them flat before assembly in my build.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:11 pm

It says not to use below 55f or 13c on the jug of titebond 2. Has anyone tried it when colder? What will happen in theory? Forecast for the next 14 days here does not have even one day at +13 or higher and i did hope to canvass this.

KCStudly wrote:Bamboo skewers work, too, but sometimes the glue grabs them and they aren't easy to pull out. If that happens just trim flush (or below flush and fill) and abandon them in place.

Thanks! We have a bunch of those, i could try it. Do you think 5/8in long staples would hold canvass up or would they just pull out?
fotooutdoors wrote:Could you lay the trailer down on a sheet of OSB? Not free, but better than denting up all your hard work.

Sent on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.

If im going to lay it on its side thats what i will do. Osb or drywall on the ground as well as on the inside where we kneel. Ill be up late tonight reading on this site to see if another plan of mine will work so i dont have to get a neighbour to help me move it. Gonna see if theres a glue i can use to glue a 5x10 frp panel to the ceiling
OP827 wrote:
Camp4Life wrote:Nice to see that on the trailer! I'm in the same boat as you, nowhere heated to work indoors. I was also thinking of getting one of those popup car shelters. Looks like we're not gonna see anything over 10 degrees next week in Edmonton.... :thumbdown:

I am also in Edmonton,hi there ;) . I built panels flat and laminated them flat before assembly in my build.

Cool :) you should check it out when its done. I think if i were to do this again i would laminate them before assembly, but too late now.
dancam
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:15 pm

For wood to wood where the joints were backed up by Kreg pocket screws, I've gone as low as 45 deg F (7.2 C) using TB2, but the buzz on the interwebs sez that it will be a weaker joint. When you snap a test joint if it looks white and chalky and doesn't break any wood away, it was too cold. On a good joint the glue will look almost like semi-clear plastic and should take at least some small slivers of wood with it when broken, in my experience. Not very scientific, but these were my observations on the few chances that I observed.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:24 pm

dancam wrote:Thanks guys. I could possibly have built a flat surface and glued the whole roof together and canvassed it, then tried to stick the whole 12ft thing in at once, but it would have been pretty difficult and time consuming with just the 2 of us. I also didnt ask until i had already put almost half the roof in... :/
The only way i can think of doing it now is to lay the trailer on its side. However the side that ends up down will most likely get damaged because we will have to stand in it to canvass the ceiling and we only have a very bumpy lawn that isnt level.
So im not sure what to do. Hoping to canvass this saterday. Where do you buy blow gun darts? Their probably illegal in Canada, lol.

FYI, George has just posted how he's successfully done canvas glueing overhead in his build - http://tnttt.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9914
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks for the help guys, ill reply to these later, ive been up till at least midnight, often later for a while every night trying to get this done. It snowed and it looks like it wont melt, winter is here. So i took it to where i work to canvass and paint but its super in the way. I canvassed up to the inside corners and cut it there planning to do a foot wide strip (6in on each side) over that to cover the seam. I did that on 2 of the biggest corners and its super ugly. I think i will just use calking on the inside corners to hide where the 2 pieces of canvass dont quite meet. I think i will run a bead of calking where the roof edge meets the outer wall canvass as well to hide that joint before i paint. So what calking works? What will last on the outside of a trailer and not have the paint flake off or peel off itself? The 2 i tried so far melt the foam. I was hoping to call it tonight so i can paint friday night and saterday :/
Thanks

dancam
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 pm

I use DAP Alex Plus caulk. Here is a picture of me applying it exactly as you want, on the inside corners.

DSCF4708.JPG
Caulk
DSCF4708.JPG (167.51 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Camp4Life » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:16 am

OP827 wrote:

Awesome! Never realized there were so many Edmontonians on here! :thumbsup: Makes me wonder why there isn't an Alberta section in the forum, only Ontario Quebec and BC...
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:10 am

KCStudly wrote:Bamboo skewers work, too, but sometimes the glue grabs them and they aren't easy to pull out. If that happens just trim flush (or below flush and fill) and abandon them in place.

KCStudly wrote:For wood to wood where the joints were backed up by Kreg pocket screws, I've gone as low as 45 deg F (7.2 C) using TB2, but the buzz on the interwebs sez that it will be a weaker joint. When you snap a test joint if it looks white and chalky and doesn't break any wood away, it was too cold. On a good joint the glue will look almost like semi-clear plastic and should take at least some small slivers of wood with it when broken, in my experience. Not very scientific, but these were my observations on the few chances that I observed.

The bamboo skewer idea worked great! Thanks for that!
I decided it would be way too cold to do it outside and took it back to work. Ended up being below freezing and snowing while i canvassed and painted, i put a few photos of that in my build thread. Im glad i didnt try it outside :p
OP827 wrote:
dancam wrote:Thanks guys. I could possibly have built a flat surface and glued the whole roof together and canvassed it, then tried to stick the whole 12ft thing in at once, but it would have been pretty difficult and time consuming with just the 2 of us. I also didnt ask until i had already put almost half the roof in... :/

FYI, George has just posted how he's successfully done canvas glueing overhead in his build - http://tnttt.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9914

Thanks!
ghcoe wrote:I use DAP Alex Plus caulk. Here is a picture of me applying it exactly as you want, on the inside corners.

DSCF4708.JPG

Thanks! You posted this a little after i had already bought the caulking i went with but thats good info to have.
Camp4Life wrote:
OP827 wrote:

Awesome! Never realized there were so many Edmontonians on here! :thumbsup: Makes me wonder why there isn't an Alberta section in the forum, only Ontario Quebec and BC...

Might be an idea :)

Sorry for the late and short replies everyone, but i updated the build thread a bit, not completely yet, but hopefully i can finish updating this weekend.
dancam
500 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies