First timer build and questions

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: First timer build and questions

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:08 am

Question .... are CA dollars more than US ... Different exchange rate ? Is there a Canadian equivalent of T2 ??? Aliphatic , waterproof ???

We Used EPS on the FoamStream , and about a gazillion RC plane wings ... If you have the denser EPS ( 2#/cu.ft.) You’ll be fine , it glues and skins just fine , and if you’re worried about Strength , just do as we do and double the thickness... It’s very Strong that way ( Foamstream is 3,5” thick foam ...)

Ps . it may glue even better ...since there are small spaces between the beads ... space for thinned glue to wick in, much as water does if immersed ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:18 am

Earlier you were talking about carrying 3 days supply of water. Here are some ways to reduce usage.
1. Look into sawdust toilets, easy diy project.
2. do the navy shower, 2 bottle filled with water. I like the type we get with some sports drinks where when I squeeze them the water squrts out, 695ml each, so I shower with only 1.4 litres. 1st bottle is to wet your body, then shampoo, 2nd is for rinse.
3. Don't let the kids & wife drink anything and you will not have to stop as often! :lol: :lol: :FNP
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby loaderman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 am

gpw - the canadian dollar is less then the US dollar, it varies. right now a canadian dollar is only worth .78 Us. so something you pay a dollar for would cost us 1.29, plus prices seem higher here as well. Then again so are wages generally.

Yes we can get T2 in Canada, [/url]Amazon.ca[/url] has it, as well http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Painting-Supplies/Tape-Glue-Adhesive/Adhesives-Glues/Carpenter-Wood/3-78L-Titebond-II-Premium-Wood-Glue/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I2020005?Ntt=titebond you can order online and pick up in store.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:46 am

So let me get this straight ... If T2 here was $10, then you’d pay $13 CAN... so the product is the same Value , but the money value is different .... Not like you’re paying More (value wise eh ??? ) :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:00 pm

On amazon.ca (canadian) for a galon titebond 2 is $46.90 canadian
On Amazon.com (american) a galon of titebond 2 is $16.69 ( so 21.59 canadian, the exchange rate changes constantly so this would vary)

So just doing the exchange rate on the dollar does not work. it depends on duties, the phase of the moon, what someone ate for breakfast etc. :D

Also I understand our wages are typically higher. As a carpenter I could make about 22-25 dollars an hour, driving forklift I make about $32 an hour. So i switched carriers and now drive forklift! 8)
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby dancam » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:55 am

GPW wrote:Question .... are CA dollars more than US ... Different exchange rate ? Is there a Canadian equivalent of T2 ??? Aliphatic , waterproof ???

We Used EPS on the FoamStream , and about a gazillion RC plane wings ... If you have the denser EPS ( 2#/cu.ft.) You’ll be fine , it glues and skins just fine , and if you’re worried about Strength , just do as we do and double the thickness... It’s very Strong that way ( Foamstream is 3,5” thick foam ...)

Ps . it may glue even better ...since there are small spaces between the beads ... space for thinned glue to wick in, much as water does if immersed ... :thinking:

I have not found another equivilant to tb2 other than tb3.
I don't know if i need to be worried about the strength of 1.5in, thats why I asked. I don't want to go any thicker, as it is im not sure a double air mattress will fit in there... I was thinking it would glue better as well as long as they bond, so thats good to hear.

loaderman wrote:Earlier you were talking about carrying 3 days supply of water. Here are some ways to reduce usage.
1. Look into sawdust toilets, easy diy project.
2. do the navy shower, 2 bottle filled with water. I like the type we get with some sports drinks where when I squeeze them the water squrts out, 695ml each, so I shower with only 1.4 litres. 1st bottle is to wet your body, then shampoo, 2nd is for rinse.
3. Don't let the kids & wife drink anything and you will not have to stop as often! :lol: :lol: :FNP

Thanks, I will look into that. I was planning to only use gas station bathrooms, campsite bathrooms and the bush, but I may have to discuss that with my wife :) Probably not at the same time as the other 2 suggestions though. The 3 days of water was drinking and dish/hand washing only, shower water would be gotten and used immediately. And theres no way my wife would go for that kind of shower, Im not sure she can wash her hair in under 5 minutes... :/

loaderman wrote:gpw - the canadian dollar is less then the US dollar, it varies. right now a canadian dollar is only worth .78 Us. so something you pay a dollar for would cost us 1.29, plus prices seem higher here as well. Then again so are wages generally.

Yes we can get T2 in Canada, [/url]Amazon.ca[/url] has it, as well http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Painting-Supplies/Tape-Glue-Adhesive/Adhesives-Glues/Carpenter-Wood/3-78L-Titebond-II-Premium-Wood-Glue/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I2020005?Ntt=titebond you can order online and pick up in store.

Prices here are higher but from what I have seen wages are the same in dollar/hr wise. I havent seen everything though. :) Thanks for the home hardware link! I wasn't aware it was available online.

loaderman wrote:On amazon.ca (canadian) for a galon titebond 2 is $46.90 canadian
On Amazon.com (american) a galon of titebond 2 is $16.69 ( so 21.59 canadian, the exchange rate changes constantly so this would vary)

So just doing the exchange rate on the dollar does not work. it depends on duties, the phase of the moon, what someone ate for breakfast etc. :D

Also I understand our wages are typically higher. As a carpenter I could make about 22-25 dollars an hour, driving forklift I make about $32 an hour. So i switched carriers and now drive forklift! 8)

yes, things are usually more here, and to order from the states quite often isnt worth it as people want a bajillion dollars for shipping...

I found some 1/2in 5x5 baltic birch! :) that made me happy. I will get that for the floor.
Canadian tire has armor coat porch and floor paint interior/exterior acrylic latex enamel on sale for $24/gallon. Thats the same as the mistints of other exterior paint. Would that be durable, or is a dedicated exterior paint better? For on the canvas.
This stuff except white: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/armor-coat-3-7-l-grey-latex-porch-and-floor-paint-0489706p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:33 pm

So I tried searching the forum but didnt find anything. Im sure people have done it but I just can't seem to find it on the site. What alternatives are there to the warner 250 wallpaper removal tool or the silverline as far as poking holes in your foam for better adhesion? I have been to or phoned 8 or so stores and no one seems to have them or anything similar. Online I can order a silverline for $55 but it wouldn't be here until july 15, which is a little late, I was hoping to start sooner. So, what have other people used?
I found some xps foam on a classified ad, going to drive 3 hours thursday to go get it and save myself $400 over going to home depo... Hopefully its in good shape.
Found canvass at canadian tire, baltic birch and tb2 at a lumber store. Havent decided on what paint yet. How well do light mistints cover over with white after? Am i better off going all white?
I plan to cover the entire floor (baltic birch with 1 seam) with canvass and glue. It looks like this curves the wood a bunch as the glue dries, can it be bent back or do I have to ensure it stays perfectly flat? Thinking of using stick on vynel flooring on the inside. Any thoughts on that?
I am making my way through the thrifty thread. Got quite a bit read, but 450 pages is a lot... :p
Thanks guys
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:42 am

You can make a rudimentary wall piercer with a block of scrap wood and some protruding nails ... It’s an option , not a necessity ... especially with the beaded EPS . :thinking:

Probably don’t need the canvas on the floor , especially underneath ... A good coat of black roofing cement is all you need ( as used by many here)

Whatever paint you use , make sure it’s all the same ... White is good ... but shows everything (dirt)

Good luck , keep reading ... :thumbsup: 8) ;) :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:33 pm

loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:06 pm

GPW wrote:You can make a rudimentary wall piercer with a block of scrap wood and some protruding nails ... It’s an option , not a necessity ... especially with the beaded EPS . :thinking:

Probably don’t need the canvas on the floor , especially underneath ... A good coat of black roofing cement is all you need ( as used by many here)

Whatever paint you use , make sure it’s all the same ... White is good ... but shows everything (dirt)

Good luck , keep reading ... :thumbsup: 8) ;) :applause:

I went and bought extruded foam. Got 27 2ftx8ftx1.5in sheets for $135. Was a classified ad 2 hours away, no pictures. I asked the guy if they were in good shape and he assured me they were. Got there and they were pretty beat up. They came out of a demo of a hockey arena. I picked the 27 best out of the 100 or so he had. I think I will be doing a lot of filling... :/
My co-worker told me to do that with 1ftx1ft plywood and strap them to my feet and walk all over it :)
I am thinking of it more for strength than waterproofing, but have decided to get the plywood and set it on my trailer to see how bendy it is before deciding for sure.
Alright, I hadn't thought of how much dirt white would show... :/ But i think it staying cool is more important. Ill try and get a high gloss paint so it washes easier.
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:10 pm

loaderman wrote:https://www.amazon.ca/Stanley-Orbital-Wallpaper-Scorer-4-26-452/dp/B0001IWE4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466656712&sr=8-1&keywords=wallpaper+scorer

Or

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Wallcoverings-Accessories/Wallcoverings-Acc/Tools/Tiger-Single-Wallpaper-Remover/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I1676172?Ntt=wallpaper+remover

Ok, I have seen the home hardware one around lots, but to me it looks like the pokey bits are teeny compared to the warner tool. Is that the case or just the way it looks? It looks to me like they pierce about the thickness of a sheet of paper. I could buy the homehardware one, looks like it would take forever, but if it will make the proper sized holes then Ill do that. The amazon one looks way cooler though :) Thanks a lot for those links!
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Actually it was found out long ago that white paint wasn’t the best because it didn’t help dry the moisture away .... It was found baby Blue ( very light blue worked the best and was the most durable of all the colors .... ( that was on Cars , some time ago ) ... just sayin’ ... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:13 pm

How close can you have pmf to trailer brakes? Has anyone even built a foamie on a trailer with brakes? :/ i just realized that my trailer is not as wide as i thought, its 1/2 in narrower. so to build it the way i planned i would not be able to use a double/full air mattress an would have to go down to a twin :( However i can put the upper half of my foamie on the outside of the angle iron and then have more room. Problem then is that the very bottom of the foam would be maybe 1/2in away from the top of the brake drum. Is that too close? I need to go back to the store and get better measurements of the axle and drum though, i haven't bought it yet.

GPW wrote:Actually it was found out long ago that white paint wasn’t the best because it didn’t help dry the moisture away .... It was found baby Blue ( very light blue worked the best and was the most durable of all the colors .... ( that was on Cars , some time ago ) ... just sayin’ ... :beer:

Thanks, i decided to go with white anyway, partly because i like how a gloss white looks and partly because white hides way more than pigments :) I got 6 gallons of porch and floor paint and we will see how far it goes. I bought used extruded foam for $5/2ftx8ft sheet. Lots of dents to repair but thats better than $24/sheet at lowes. i cut my trailer apart and started testing glues and practising with foam, had a bit of a delay because i had to work on the vehicle that will tow this. Ill start an actual build thread in a bit and keep this one for all my dumb questions.
Spent 5 hours with an angle grinder and a sledgehammer and my Trailer went from 607 pounds to 270 :) my 1/2in baltic birch floor is 86 pounds though and the axle with brakes will be heavier. But ill be starting at like 400 pounds, not 600.
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Hey, i have a question for you guys. I have my trailer in the shop where i work and have to have it done and out by tuesday, been working till midnight on it every night and havent had time to read much. I did some test samples and just checked them now. The tb2 did not seem to adhere very well at all to the foam just by itself. I bought a whole bunch of alkyd gloss enamel paint and it seems to have softened the glue and melted through the foam where i used it. So i have to find other paint tonight. Is the gripper primer good enough to finish with or does it need an actual paint topcoat? What types of paint work? I have seen it said that latex is what to use but does anything else work?
Also where i just rolled tb2 onto the foam then stuck canvass on and didnt paint it peels off real easy 3 days later now. Is that normal? Does it need the paint to stick? I wiped the extruded foam with alcohol, sanded it and poked holes in it with a wallpaper tool. Thinned tb2 5%.
It stuck real well to plywood and pulls of wood, but not the foam.
Thanks for your help. Sorry to ask and not look, but i have to start framing this otherwise ill never get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:10 pm

The answer is, "it depends". If you are grabbing a free edge of canvas and pulling it up in a peeling action, then yes, it might seem like it is easy to pull it up; but if you try to shear the joint by pulling the canvas parallel to the glue joint, or bend the foam and the canvas doesn't delaminate, then you are seeing what should be expected.

When you peeled the canvas up was there a very thin film of foam stuck to the back of it, almost like a peach fuzz? If so that is the foam failing before the glue, and that's all you can expect. The strength of the panels comes from the tensile strength of the canvas in the direction of the threads as stabilized by the foam, not the tensile strength of the glue joint.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies