DIY Foamie' Super Cooler ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: DIY Foamie' Super Cooler ...

Postby mvankanan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:26 pm

I want to build a cooler with 2" XPS. I want to cover it with fabric of some kind, on the outside. Anyone do this from scratch?

I don't know how or where to end the fabric, just cut it, and glue it flat? Would the seam want to come up, or would the combination of the glue and fabric keep it down? Maybe band it some way? That could protect the edge and provide attachment points for handles and some system to keep the lid on tight, Velcro perhaps.

I thought I could maybe explore using food grade silicone to hold the foam together? And no fabric on the inside?

I had thought about layering ISO foam and XPS for the little extra R value and the radiance of the foil. Anyone know if that would be worth it? Some combination of XPS,ISO,XPS?

I have a supposedly 5 day cooler, doesn't really do the job very well.

Appreciate any help, or advice, Mike
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:09 am

MV, we have a “supposed “ 5 day , that isn’t really ...
Yes you could have just bare foam .... the Foam is the INSULATOR , and the fabric just keeps it in better shape for normal use ... and makes it look nice ... On mine , we’re planning on using fabric on the bottom and top , then wrap more around the sides , overlaping top and bottom fabric ... And it really doesn’t have to be Pretty , just has to keep things COLD for a long long time ..... and not cost $350.00 ... :R :lol: .... :roll:

Making a box from 2” foam is pretty easy , lots easier than wood ... and you don’t need any exotic glue ... anything waterproof (glue) will do fine ...

Foil backed foam probably would work ... (although we don’t know about it’s Toxicity) :NC
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:12 am

I have used old rv water tanks as the liner. Cut off the top and plug all the fixtures but one. Use that fixture as a drain. You can also use square buckets as a liner. Bakeries throw them out by the dozen and they have lids. You can set them in place inside the foam box and then fill the void with a can of foam.
Attachments
square bucket.jpg
square bucket.jpg (4.21 KiB) Viewed 350 times
21-gallon1.jpg
21-gallon1.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 351 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:33 am

That’s a Super Bucket idea for a liner ... :thumbsup: I wonder how many “cold ones" you could fit in a bucket , and a block of ice too ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mvankanan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:07 pm

GPW wrote:MV, we have a “supposed “ 5 day , that isn’t really ...
Yes you could have just bare foam .... the Foam is the INSULATOR , and the fabric just keeps it in better shape for normal use ... and makes it look nice ... On mine , we’re planning on using fabric on the bottom and top , then wrap more around the sides , overlaping top and bottom fabric ...

So the fabric wont lift up there? Do you use pinking shears?

Making a box from 2” foam is pretty easy , lots easier than wood ... and you don’t need any exotic glue ... anything waterproof (glue) will do fine ...

Well Toxicity is the reason I was thinking of using food grade silicone, and not gluing fabric to the inside. I have several salvaged white coolers, of the kind you pictured at the beginning of this tread. I believe they are just a harder beadboard, but still the same basic material as XPS (?), so I'm assuming that XPS is reasonable inert? Is there a food grade paint or coating that might stick to XPS, offer some degree off protection to the inside, maybe make it easier to clean. I'm a bit of a fanatic about any liquid in my cooler bottom other then condensation, so I wont do a drain.

Foil backed foam probably would work ... (although we don’t know about it’s Toxicity) :NC

I think the foil/ISO is a bit of over think on my part. It was supposed to be part of a sandwich to take advantage of the increased R value of the ISO, and also the radiant advantage of the foil. I think you need a air space to really get full benefit from the foil? I'd also lose the structural benefit of 2" of XPS. Not shore if the R value benefit would be worth it? Plus nothing glues to it?

How should I build it? It would be strongest if the bottom was dado'ed? I'm thinking that the fabric wrap will be so strong it wont matter? How about the sides, if the fabric works like I think it works, tension(?) should the sides be 45's. It's only a little bit of cutting and if the foam cut's like you all say, I can do it on a table saw, could even spline it.

My biggest worry is the edges of the top and bottom get beat up and leak air. Some kind of harder edge would be nice, I asked before how Fiber Reinforced Plastic(FRP) glued to foam, never got an answer. Is FRP the same as Corroplast?

Thanks Mike
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mvankanan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Well I butchered that reply, hope it makes some kind of sense :(

Mike
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mvankanan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm

greygoos wrote:I have used old rv water tanks as the liner. Cut off the top and plug all the fixtures but one. Use that fixture as a drain. You can also use square buckets as a liner. Bakeries throw them out by the dozen and they have lids. You can set them in place inside the foam box and then fill the void with a can of foam.

I've been looking around for a liner of some kind. Two great ideas 8) My cooler is 10.5 x 24.5 x 14 " inside, that works great with the 2.5 gal off the shelf water jugs that are so common, freezing one of those is my preferred way to go. I would love to find a liner that size. I think I will try to make this cooler a little higher.

I'll have to take a look at those buckets, are they all one size? I'm looking for something to hold both cubed and block ice on the road. Sure wish they would standardize ice blocks, and make it mandatory that you carry them if you sell any ice :twisted:

Mike
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:28 pm

The square buckets are usually 5 gallon. As far as ice goes we made ice tubes out of PVC according to the size of the cooler we were making. Here is a pic of commercial tubes that are being sold now. If you are going to use ice cubes in your cooler mix in Kosher salt and the cubes will stay longer.
Attachments
DIY-Reusable-Ice-Packs-for-Coolers-3-230x187.jpg
DIY-Reusable-Ice-Packs-for-Coolers-3-230x187.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 332 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 pm

" I'm thinking that the fabric wrap will be so strong it wont matter? “ ...... EXACTLY !!! :thumbsup: ;)

Why not cut a liner out of a commercial ice chest and sink it in the foam ... liner for the top too (fitted) ... :thinking: Cleanest way to do it ... Foil ??? How about this ... Wrap the Ice in the Foil ... :o :roll: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby seanc » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:20 pm

I think I'm going to tackle the foamie cooler project for my camper. I'm going with 2" XPS. From what I've read, keeping a good seal around the lid is much more important than pushing past R10 insulation. I'd really like to have the cooler double as a seat, so I'm going to line the top and bottom with wood, and probably the hinge/clasp mounting points as well. We'll see how it turns out!
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:33 am

The Old coolers were wood with metal inner liners (galvanized) and cork insulation ... and that worked ... :thinking:

Yes about the sealing , even a small crack adds up to a good size area ...Good “fitting “ of the parts is the answer...Having a top with a protruding area acting as a “plug” also helps ...
(see sketch)

We’re planning on a more “stationary” cooler that won’t be moved around when it’s full. ( easily moved when empty ) So won’t need handles or any exotic strength ... much like the cheap 99 cent foam coolers we’ve all used for years ...
Also with cheap digital technology , it will now be possible for a few bucks to build a probe into the inner chamber which will monitor inner temperature , And likely the digital readout could be mounted (velcro) in a recess built right in to the top... How cool would that be ??? Yeti don’t have that :R .... yet ..... :thinking: 8) :thumbsup: :D
Attachments
cooler .png
cooler .png (11.58 KiB) Viewed 259 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby seanc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 pm

GPW - I know the "plug" top is the way to go, but I don't want to lose 2" off the interior height of the cooler.... I'm thinking about using epmd rubber or foam weather stripping to seal the two.

The exterior dimensions are 21L x 18W x 15H

IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG (133.9 KiB) Viewed 240 times
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Make sure you use some kind of strap around the finished unit like a bungie cord. The tighter the seal the better it will work.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:15 am

Guys , when given a choice between complex and Simple , I always gravitate to SIMPLE ... I’m referring to those 99cent foam coolers we see EVERYWHERE :o :shock: They are really pretty effective and without a lot of extra additions ... The lid is close fitting which seems to work fine ... And if you’re going to sit on it ... ( “ I'd really like to have the cooler double as a seat, “ ) That should keep the lid on eh ? :thumbsup: ( see: Newton)

One little point :roll: ... I don’t think (JMHO) a Foamie cooler is gonna’ be suitable for off road banging around ... Much as your kitchen refrigerator ... There’s specialized coolers for that ( Big bucks ) ... I’m thinking something that lives in the trailer and is for long term food storage . ( or Beer eh !!! :beer: ) All based on the idea that the more foam you have , the better the insulation ( Plus that sealing business) and the longer your goods stay cold ... :snowstorm: :snow SIMPLE !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:56 am

So...
I like this idea, and I've got a few scraps of the Big Pink just layin' around. :thinking:

Presenting:

the start of "Lil' Pink " :lol:

tac422
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies