DIY Foamie' Super Cooler ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

DIY Foamie' Super Cooler ...

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:26 pm

We’ve all seen those really Expensive Super Coolers , that are supposed to be bear proof and keep ice for weeks ... Well I don’t need that ( No Bears ) ...And not for several hundred dollars ... I’m Not out to impress anybody with my Beer cooler ... :roll:

Aside from the handles and latches and roto moulded ( NBD ) plastic outers , the only real thing of importance is the amount of foam insulation that’s present . That’s what keeps the drinks Cold !!! Nothing else . And Being diligent Foamlings’ we know Foam (insulation ) is CHEAP ... so we can only assume at this point we could pop together a Super Foamie cooler of our own ... And for a pittance ... Something that will keep the drinks cold for many days ... :thinking:

We first found a Foam box a while back ( 11” X 12” X 9”H ) and covered it with a bits of very thin fabric we had laying around ... Just that bit made a Much stronger exterior , and that was really Nothing as we could have used a heavier fabric or several layers of fabric for an extremely strong dense exterior shell ... The box has a wall thickness of 1.5” Respectable , as most “coolers” have less... But it’s too small to hold more than a couple brewskis ... :frightened:

And then we found a Bigger box ... ( 21” X 21” X 18” H ) :D With 2” thick walls , and enough room on the inside to easily add another 2" of Foam (Thinking recycling those scraps from the last build) ... Plus the addition of an Aluminum foil radiant barrier between the foam layers ... :o And still have enough room left over for a a “case" and lots of ice , although we’re thinking Block ice would last longer than cubes... (thermal density) ... Here’s the pics , it ain’t a Yeti... All it is is a Foamie cooler ... No bragging rights other than we recycled it , finished it , and it will keep beer cold for a month :beer: :roll: ( "every good story deserves embellishment! “ - Gandalf ) :R :lol:

We’re looking for a nice heavy ( and inexpensive) Plaid material for the outside ... a “Scotsman’s “ cooler ... Thrifty aye !!! :thumbsup: 8)
Could we just go buy a Yeti Cooler , why sure we could.... But that wouldn’t be any Fun eh ??? :beer:
Attachments
DSCF0012.jpg
DSCF0012.jpg (226.79 KiB) Viewed 885 times
DSCF0011.jpg
DSCF0011.jpg (165.27 KiB) Viewed 885 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: DIY Foamie' Super Cooler ...

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:32 pm

If you used dry ice to keep brewski's cold, I bet it wood last a month!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why aren't you building custom coolers from scraps?

You could also use custom cnc framing like you did on your foamie!

Hey, that lip is almost like the lip I have on the back of the Generic Foamie design...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:43 pm

20 years ago I’d have been off manufacturing things like this ... But today this is just another representation of “ The Fine Art of Salvage “ ( or, How we got started with this Foamie camper business in the first place ;) ) ... Taking “found” objects that would only fill up a landfill and making them serve useful purpose ... It’s a “ Game of Thrifty” that I play for my own amusement (retired) , and others are happily allowed to share in ... :D
Bottom line , drawn in the sand ... There are Many ways to make a cooler ... and for a lot less than $300.00 ... :duh: ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dry Ice ... :o Good Idea !!! :thumbsup:

Re: Lip ... The only difference is these lips aren’t gonna’ be flying down the highway @ 85 mph in the Rain ... :o :frightened: :NC ....... The Cooler ( with the Liquid Gold) will be INSIDE , nice and dry ... :thumbsup: ;) :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fyddler » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Now I'm thinking about building a teardrop shapped foamie' icechest... Maybe with wheels.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Disclaimer: I was going to put this in “Thrifty Alternatives" , but nobody reads that Monster anymore eh ??? :roll:

FYD , with the ease of Foamie constructiion , it might be a great way of making a nice Ice chest /cooler and a miniature of your Trailer build as a proof of concept with a cold celebration at the end ... :beer: :dancing
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:01 pm

FLASH !!! Idea just in !!! ..... Howz’ about a Miniature Foamie camper / Ice Chest , that fits conveniently on a “ little Red Wagon” ( The "Harbor Freight” trailer equivalent of Beer cooler wagons :R ) .... ( and can be pulled around. ) Although a Beer cooler for the Band would require a trailer the size of a Radio Flyer... :o :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fyddler » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:25 pm

I was just about to dust off my trailer Skechup drawing and scale it down. Some wood reinforcements for handle and hinges, Poorman fiberglass, some paint...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:32 pm

Already got a Cool paint job too !!! 8) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:19 am

If I remember correctly, this subject was discussed quite some time ago.

I'm thinking of using the pour foam mix http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html between a thin (1/4") plywood box around one of those molded plastic storage containers found in many stores (HD, Lowes, Target, Wally World, ...). The size depends on how big you want and available room. The foam isn't too pricey. Another pour for the lid. Suitable foam seal material can be found at the Borgs.

The plastic container would provide reasonably sturdy protection for the foam on the inside and the plywood on the outside. A short length of PVC pipe and rubber stopper to drain the melt water.

Someone pointed out that they had tried this but had a devil of a time keeping the plastic container from floating to the top of the foam. I plan on doing this inverted with only an initial 3-4" pour to lock in the container and then subsequent layered pours after the first cures.

The only "disadvantage" with this plan is you don't have bragging rights for spending a lot of money :D
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:40 am

QUOTE: “ you don't have bragging rights for spending a lot of money “ ....T’ ... Around here we brag when we SAVE money .... We’re no Fools !! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm

I have built many trailers and coolers for the food service industry and we have done lots of research in the field. I agree that Yeti is top of the line, however if you take an everyday cooler build a box around it, fill the void with spray foam and or styrofoam you have an A #1 piece of equipment for a fraction of the cost. I am sure with the way you guys can build this would be a snap. You can also freeze your food and plastic bottle beverages, which keeps the temp down in the box. Here is an idea along the same lines. Basic but you will get the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFDnwzJ8dhQ
Last edited by greygoos on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Build the cooler into your camper, so the 2" wall of the camper is the wall of your cooler at least on 2 sides. then 2 sides are the other sides and put a cushion on top for even more insulation, and you got a bench or a bed or????
You could have front opening but that lets out a lot of cold air when you open it. Better to be top opening. Ice packs should be solid not cubbed and on top of the food if possible, and freeze as much of the food as possible.

I wonder if shiny aluminum outside to refect heat out would help, defintely do not paint black :?
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:21 am

Goos, Load ... Wonderful ideas and tips ... Thanks guys !!!! :thumbsup: 8) :beer:

Kinda makes you think about a BIG block of foam , with a cooler size hole cut out ... Like R200 :o

In our solar ovens , a metal layer is suggested as a “Radiant barrier “ to reflect the heat back inside . So we “assume” (?) that works on coolers too ... , just the reverse , reflecting the COOL back inside ... ( likely not really necessary) Seems like just the MORE insulation , the better at keeping things cold ... We’re thinking 4” thickness should give us a respectable R20 . Styrofoam is about R5 per inch of thickness... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:54 am

Paint the outside bright white. A white roof coating is really white. In the direct sun the surface of my bright white camper barely gets warm while anything around it is too hot to touch.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:37 am

T’ ... Yes !!! Agreed !!! We found out our dark colored camo paint job ( F#1) generated enough heat to “Heal” foam ... :o Wonder what coating (s) would work on the outside ... Fiberglass, PMF (likely what were going with ) metal , plastic , styro spray , that spray sealer we see on TV ??? Or just paint ? :roll: :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies