Folding fabric corners

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Folding fabric corners

Postby mvankanan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:39 am

I was wondering if there's a thread on that. Yesterday I spent hours folding four corners on a roughly 4x4 piec of foam. The piece had a lip on one end, which will fit over a piece of 3/4" plywood. The other end has a piece that is carved to fit the bottom of the car,( kinda) and then sloped on one edge, (could of got a better angle there). This piece was then glued to the end of a panel.It will over lap the other end of the plywood, and hopefully the carved piece will seal the front edge and prevent water from getting in. I glued the canvas to the top first, then I glued the sides, and then dealt with the ends. The top was already on, so the hours where spent doing the sides and ends.

I don't think any of the corners are the same :thinking: . Like me wishing to know a pattern maker to shape to the car, someone could do this lickety split, Just a couple of tricks, leading to oh yeah that's how, would do me good. So I thought there might be a good thread on this. I don't have a lot of time to research this now, but maybe an upholsterer? tent maker? I learned a lot though, still having fun 8)

I got a bit of a mess, I have to get on the road by Fri, Sat at the latest, and I got this thing going on my trailer hitch, that was supposed to connect and support a new roof carrier, and also a new rear door since the hatch is off. Why :thinking: Musta been a reason at one time!

I lost almost a full day yesterday, and I also made a real dumb mistake the day before, I got a work around for that, might not even lose that much time, but like last year on my slug, it's just adding wood, and weight. Still optimistic about getting on the road on time, have to fix a couple of wires that broke removing the wiring harness from the hatch, I intend to hook up the car license plate light and two other lights that were in the hatch, have to build some kind of box for that. If that goes smoothly I should be able to get the rear closed in? And then I can throw the old hamburger box, the same box that got me going on this whole sleeping on the roof trip, trip in the first place, on the roof and go.

Mike
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Folding fabric corners

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:46 am

:thumbsup: ;) 8)

Folding corners .... ever make up a bed ? Same thing ... Was that your question?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mvankanan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:05 am

Well the folds weren't simple like that. I just thought someone has knowledge to do it better, maybe someone did a thread about it, like the bending thread. Maybe Origami? :)

Thanks Mike
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 am

On my doors I glued the canvas to the face of the door all away around and then let the glue dry. Then I took a razor blade and cut the canvas off on three edges. Then I glued the remaining flap along the top and bottom and let it dry. Then I cut off the excess canvas at the edge of the 3 edges I had already cut. I then applied a bit extra TBII along the cut edges. Turned out great.

Kind of hard to explain so Hope this make sense.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies