Lots of Foamie Questions

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Lots of Foamie Questions

Postby SagetheWanderer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Hey guys I just want to preface this by quickly saying, yes I have been trying to read all of the long posts on foamies and
any other types of posts on construction tips but there is just way too much info and not enough time to go through it. I
am going through as fast as possible but I only have so many hours to read and start building.

Also I have read about 4 or 5 full construction walk throughs for woodies so I have a general understanding of how they
go together.

That said here are some questions that are dogging me:
1. Is there a complete tutorial on foamie construction? I saw a benroy, and many other types that walk you through the
build but is there a complete one other then the defunct instructable I have found?

2. How do you usually construct your hatch so that it still has a bend? Ribs? Some other form or framing?

3. How do you hinge the hatch? Hurricane or piano hinges? Some crazy cut foamie Magic? What supports are required to
keep the foam from tearing? Is there a issue with the wind ripping the hatch off?

4. Any suggestions on the door construction to keep critters from crawling in? Weatherstripping to keep out the rain? Locks?

5. Any difference when creating a more traditional galley between the foamie techniques and the woodie techniques?

6. I'm using 1" foam for the roof. Saw in a post that someone had used this before but are there any issues you guys can think
of now? BTW the walls will be 2".

7. Suggestions on paint type? I know outdoor but latex or oil or acrylic?

8. Pause to catch breath. :?

I'm sure I have more questions but I am going to take a break so I can go buy my materials soon. Thanks guys!
SagetheWanderer
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Lots of Foamie Questions

Postby Stargazer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Good evening SagetheWanderer ... I am also pretty new here but from my reading over the last six months I suggest you take a look at the thread titled #1 in the Foamies forum. I think you will find answers to most of your questions there.

Good Luck with your build ... Stargazer
Stargazer
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Lots of Foamie Questions

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:18 pm

My advice is to not be in such a rush. You will get a better result if you take the time to do the research, plan the details, and build to the plan than if you rush, assume, and end up having to make (even more) changes (there will be enough of them as it is even with thorough planning).

There are many ways to build and variations on top of that. For door hardware and hatch hinges it is very common to include wood framework built into the foam (my build is considered a hybrid with more wood than most typical "pure" foamies, others use a minimal amount of wood, or even alternate methods for solid attachments like ghcoe's #1).

I used nice deep section wooden ribs for my hatch, but Laura used only kerfed foam for her's (I think she also commented that she might have preferred a little more stability after the fact). Study more builds more thoroughly and decide what is right for you.

On door seals, plan for proper water seals and that should keep the bugs out. There is no magic here, foamies aren't that different from traditional builds; all of the basic rules still apply... build light, build solid, seal it well, organize your design for good ingress/egress and utilization of the small space (multi tasking components and design elements where possible... i.e. cabinets as structure, etc.).

You say 1 inch roof and 2 inch walls; what will the make up of those be? If you are using wood at the door frames and hatch hinge will you be able to rip custom wood pieces? I selected 1-1/2 inch foam (with some 3/4 inch in the bulkhead and under galley counter divider) so that it would match better with dimensional 2x and 1x lumber sizes, but by the time you add whatever skins you decide on the overall thickness will change, so plan on that in advance.

Keep reading and keep asking questions. It is better to find answers in advance than after you spend time and money building something that isn't quite what you expected. (On the other hand, some people are perfectly content to build two or three times just to get it right the forth time, and they may even get it done before I finish mine. :o :? )
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Lots of Foamie Questions

Postby Ned B » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:33 am

Hi Sage... Thought I'd point you to the summary thread for foamie construction... Guys, who didn't think of this earlier?... Rowerwet took the time to make an index to the 6 yr project that is the Big thrifty Thread

Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs Summary thread

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

And let's not forget :

Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies