Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:22 am

Think about it this way … Primers go on the inside of a coat of paint so are on the Interior … Saying that , we just went through a year of bare exposed primer ( Gripper) on top the FoamStream , exposed to Everything …. No problem … so much for that ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby amandacreiglow » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm

dancam wrote:So, my door latches like these should be arriving tomorrow. Image

I cut 2 doorframes for each door out of 1/2in plywood, each a different grain direction. Glued and nailed em togeather. Very strong like that.
Will cut 1/8th baltic birch for each side, 1inch foam in the middle.
Bent some 18 gauge metal for the latch area. Have to wait till i have the latch before cutting the hole. I bent the first one wrong so i got to buy some more tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Wow, your doors are looking great so far. Much better than the monstrosities I'm struggling with... I was wondering, though, how they're going to fit with the openings you have at the back? It looks like your top half is quite a bit wider than your lower half, and they won't be connected, so are you just doing two differently size doors, and you have to open both when you want to go in or out? Or what are you planning with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:46 pm

amandacreiglow wrote:
Wow, your doors are looking great so far. Much better than the monstrosities I'm struggling with... I was wondering, though, how they're going to fit with the openings you have at the back? It looks like your top half is quite a bit wider than your lower half, and they won't be connected, so are you just doing two differently size doors, and you have to open both when you want to go in or out? Or what are you planning with that?

Thanks!
Ya you have to open both each time... i couldnt come up with a better idea. Its a bit late now, but if you have one let me know.
When the top is down you just go in to quickly get something or to lift up the top. The trailer isnt meant to be used really with the top down.

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Well i got the door latches and the one missing measurement off the diagram was nowhere near what i thought it would be. Never seen an rv latch before and have no idea why you would build it like they are but whatever. I had to buy a 1/4in sheet of baltic birch, cut out the frame shapes and glue it onto my door. Cut the skins out of 1/8th and cut styrofoam to fit. Glued one door togeather and cut out the hole for the latch in the metal. Have to make it a little bigger but im done for tonight.

1/4in shim on top.

Latch installed

The other door.

I put one fender on today.

Set the tongue box on a bit ago but have to cut shims since the tongue slopes down an inch over the distance of the tongue box.

Got the latches put on and the seal but the handles i bought wont work so i need to get different ones.

Got the battery box in, battery installed and some wires run. Wires are run from car to battery, but not secured down since i still need to remove the box to install the shims. I did get the brake wire run and the taillight wires mostly run today. Bought the double insulated 4 wire stuff and put it in conduit from the front of the trsiler to the rear. Installing the conduit was a chore.

Conduit runs front to back. Image

We tried to redo the flooring with contact cement but just have a bigger mess to clean up now.
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:05 am

Looking GOOD !!! :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:12 pm

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Got the secomd door glued, cut the square hole and drilled the screw holes in the right spot first try this time!
Countersunk the holes and filed things nice after that photo. Then smoothed everything out and gave them a coat of 'the mix'. Hopefully the glue is fully dried against the foam... how long does that take in cooler temps? Or how long do you guys typically wait after gluing large areas of wood to foam before applying the mix?
Ill try and weigh the doors tonight.

dancam
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Great work! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:14 am

“ Or how long do you guys typically wait after gluing large areas of wood to foam before applying the mix ? ”

:thinking: Good question . Gluing foam to wood , the wood ( like a 1” X 2”) would absorb the TB2 glue's moisture , so should dry OK . The larger the area , say foam to a sheet of plywood , that could take longer ( schmaybe” ) . Around here parts don’t get used for a couple weeks , allowing everything more than ample drying time . And you can always apply the mix later if you’re in a rush to leave … “ Winter is Coming ! “

Novel idea , what does the bottle say … and local relative humidity may be a factor . :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 pm

I have been working real late on it every night, hope to take it home friday. Then i will update this more. But here is a quick video of my wiring in the front and a second one of my lights.
https://youtu.be/toeSKTJXhNQ
[URL]https://youtu.be/HLctT-TlVmY[ /URL]

GPW wrote:“ Or how long do you guys typically wait after gluing large areas of wood to foam before applying the mix ? ”

:thinking: Good question . Gluing foam to wood , the wood ( like a 1” X 2”) would absorb the TB2 glue's moisture , so should dry OK . The larger the area , say foam to a sheet of plywood , that could take longer ( schmaybe” ) . Around here parts don’t get used for a couple weeks , allowing everything more than ample drying time . And you can always apply the mix later if you’re in a rush to leave … “ Winter is Coming ! “

Novel idea , what does the bottle say … and local relative humidity may be a factor . :roll:

Tb2 just says do not stress joints for 24hrs. Doesnt say when its chemical resistant. What i did seems to have worked so far, time will tell :)

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 am

Dan , it looks SUPER on the Video ^ … :applause:

You are going to do a little undercoating on the frame after all eh ??? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm

What looks better, one handle or 2? It would work as well either way. With 1 handle i can just grab it from behind.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

GPW wrote:Dan , it looks SUPER on the Video ^ … :applause:

You are going to do a little undercoating on the frame after all eh ??? :thinking:

Thanks! Wasnt planning to but it sure is rusting fast and i should...

dancam
500 Club

Postby Nodrog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Hey Dan, that is a really impressive looking build! I was looking back a couple of pages and saw a little discussion on the shellac primer, I just looked at a can and it said only spot prime exterior surfaces, good reminder to read the label, huh? I'm curious will your battery box be sealed or open to the tongue box? I've got a 4' tongue and might want to do a box, too. Also, is your rust from salt on the roads there? We are lucky, no salt here!
Anyway, you're doing great work! Thanks for all your updates! Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:58 pm

:applause:

My vote goes for one handle, though it's looking great either way.

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:35 pm

How about two handles. Except instead on front and rear like shown, how about centered right and left?
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies