Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Postby dancam » Tue May 01, 2018 1:02 am

Nodrog wrote:Hey Dan- saw your post on my thread, am hoping you get things finished enough to do your trip! Sounds like you are not doing too much complex stuff on the inside? So, you can get enough done if the tow vehicle is ready? Really hoping you can do your epic trip, maybe with a few things unfinished, then finish it and do another big trip later!! Darn weather is hard to deal with there, I think! Let us know how things are going, ok? Later....Nodrog

Sorry i never got back to you. Working real hard on it but there is so much to do... having some issues with my doors, building a pnumatic lift system for the upper half, trying to buy everything so i can make the dividers inside.... getting there but it will be a hard push. May have to take off work a few days early before our trip to finish but i hope not.
Inside isnt too bad but the lift system, screen, doors and wiring will be a bit of work.
I got mad at myself on saterday. Working in a cramped spot instead of just rolling it out i was drilling a hole in the frame and the bit snapped and i punched a hole in the canvass.... that sucked.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue May 01, 2018 4:57 am

You can squirt a little latex caulk in there … easy fix … :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Tue May 01, 2018 11:49 am

gone
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sun May 06, 2018 5:58 pm

GPW wrote:You can squirt a little latex caulk in there … easy fix …

I glued the flap back down with tb2 and painted over it. Looks ok now.

Nodrog wrote:Hey Dancam- Not to worry, I don't think anybody answers every post! Besides, I figure you are very busy! Apparently so, from your list of tasks! We are all pulling for you, you will soon be making a famous quest through the wilds of Canada. I can picture you doing that with your trailer, it's a very happy thought!! So, you are doing good work, it will soon pay off, and you will post pics of your travels, how fun....!!
Check in here when you can...don't work yourself (quite) to death!! Later, Nodrog

Working real late every day on it. The pnumatic lift cylinders were a huge failure on saterday. Not sure exactly how to fix them since i glued the tops on. The wall thickness isnt even enough inside the abs pipe. The o-rings dont seal well in quite a few spots on 2 of them, fairly good on 2 others but not perfect. ImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sun May 06, 2018 6:02 pm

I did get my mud flaps done though. Version 2 seems to work. I didnt take good enough photos though. Hope you can see what i did well enough. I couldnt weld to the frame because of the pmf and my water tank but i bolted them to the old spring hanger (i moved the axle) and they shouldnt moveImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby Nodrog » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 am

delete
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sun May 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Nodrog wrote:Hey Dancam!! Looks like you're getting stuff done, I am sorry to see you having problems with the pneumatic lift. That seems like a tough problem to me, did you lube inside the tubes to help the o-rings seal? Or ( and I realize I might be not helping at all) how about a plan B? I have seen some things posted on here before about lifting roofs, how about running a center strip under the roof and lifting from one balance point? With a ratchet jack https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Ratchetin ... B018LFQCT8

or a screw like this trailer uses http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/benja ... /index.htm

Just wondering if this type of center lift might do the trick, the top half of the trailer can't be really heavy? You'll get Something to work, I know! Good night.....Nodrog
Thanks! Yes, i used a lot of piston lube. Thanks for those suggestions. I still dont have it working yet but have a plan for monday! It had better work, lol

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 pm

We hope to leave in a week! Still a ton to do on the trailer and car but we did a test trip last week which went fairly well. We made a blog for our trip and it has an entry for the test trip with lots of photos and a video with a walk through of the trailer. Please check it out! http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.ca/?m=1
We also made an introductory post with our planned route, if any of you are in Canada please check it out, would love to show you guys our trailer and see yours if your along our route!
Sorry i havent been updating this, so much to do and so little timeImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby Zomby Woof » Mon May 28, 2018 6:14 am

I'll be watching!
Zomby Woof
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon May 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Looks Good Dan !!! Nice Family too !!! Bon Voyage !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Mon May 28, 2018 4:07 pm

nothing
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Mon May 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Looks great! Wonderful job!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Dancam, did you manage to make your lifting system work? You could also use a winch, steel cables/ropes and pulleys for 4 point lifting from lower walls. Here is an example: http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/vardo03.html . Good luck with your build and trip! If you are going to be around Saugeen Shores in Ontario, you are welcome to check my build with lifting roof.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Nodrog wrote:Good afternoon! Well, a great trial trip, looks like fun! I am, I must confess, thinking a lot about the lift system situation. I wish we were closer, I would love to help in some way! I was thinking though, if you have seen the pump on a coleman stove or lantern, there has to be a pretty low tech way to get them to work. A piston could be made of a stout dowel,say @15mm, with a round piece of leather formed into a cup ( wetted to form then dried and oiled) . Leather is a wonderful material, look at how well cows hold air....? This would be sandwiched between 2 washers, then this would be screwed to the end of the dowel. The piston goes thru a threaded on end cap with a hole for the piston in the center. Threaded so piston can be removed to be oiled...Look at a Coleman stove or maybe an old bike pump for an idea....These darned things hold air real well and are simple!! I think you could even mess with this on the trip....bring a little junk for parts, an old boot....
Anyhow, keep posting pics of the trip! Very nice! Have a good time with the family, those boys are something, aren't they! And your patient and lovely wife is a real trooper! Later.....Nodrog

Thanks for the ideas! We got it working though, seems to be alright now.

OP827 wrote:Dancam, did you manage to make your lifting system work? You could also use a winch, steel cables/ropes and pulleys for 4 point lifting from lower walls. Here is an example: http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/vardo03.html . Good luck with your build and trip! If you are going to be around Saugeen Shores in Ontario, you are welcome to check my build with lifting roof.

We did! Doesnt work perfect but it goes up! I looked at your link and i dont quite understand how it works but i wish i did, that sure would be a lot easier to set up.
Just looked at where Saugeen Shores is and we dont plan to be out that way, if plans change i will let you know though, thanks for that! We are sort of doing thunder bay to guelph to niagra falls and then up to quebec.

dancam
500 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:57 pm

dancam wrote:...
OP827 wrote:Dancam, did you manage to make your lifting system work? You could also use a winch, steel cables/ropes and pulleys for 4 point lifting from lower walls. Here is an example: http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/vardo03.html . Good luck with your build and trip! If you are going to be around Saugeen Shores in Ontario, you are welcome to check my build with lifting roof.

We did! Doesnt work perfect but it goes up! I looked at your link and i dont quite understand how it works but i wish i did, that sure would be a lot easier to set up.
Just looked at where Saugeen Shores is and we dont plan to be out that way, if plans change i will let you know though, thanks for that! We are sort of doing thunder bay to guelph to niagra falls and then up to quebec.

I did a very quick sketch to show the idea of cable/rope system to lift the upper part. Lower part serves as supports for lifting pulleys and cables. Cables can be routed as you need to accommodate the design, under floor or inside, just add more pulleys on various turns. Lifting action can be by anything - winch, actuator(electric/air), acme drive screw by hand, drill etc.. Let me know if you have further questions.

OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies