Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Postby Aguyfromohio » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am

dancam wrote:
... it resulted in this taking hundreds of hours more than I had thought it would....

:lol: Welcome to the club of People Who Did Not Know What They Were Getting Themselves Into.
When my buddy and I started we guessed it would be $4,000 each and take a summer of the weekends and the odd weekday evening to build two trailers.
Here we are at $10,000 each and 18 calendar months, we have one trailer completed as an empty shell and the second with walls up but not skinned.
We can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and have no regrets.

For encouragement, consider this. As we neared completion every piece we added made the trailer suddenly much stronger and much prettier, so our weak and ugly ducklings took a dramatic improvement at the end into strong and beautiful little trailers. You will likely find the same for yours.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am

DaddyJeep wrote:Wow... that is quite the gash. I am glad the little guy is ok. My youngest had a couple injuries similar to that when he was about that size. They bounce back quick.

He has recovered remarkably well, just took the stitches out yesterday.

Aguyfromohio wrote:
dancam wrote:
... it resulted in this taking hundreds of hours more than I had thought it would....

Welcome to the club of People Who Did Not Know What They Were Getting Themselves Into.
When my buddy and I started we guessed it would be $4,000 each and take a summer of the weekends and the odd weekday evening to build two trailers.
Here we are at $10,000 each and 18 calendar months, we have one trailer completed as an empty shell and the second with walls up but not skinned.
We can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and have no regrets.

For encouragement, consider this. As we neared completion every piece we added made the trailer suddenly much stronger and much prettier, so our weak and ugly ducklings took a dramatic improvement at the end into strong and beautiful little trailers. You will likely find the same for yours.

Yup, we sure didnt know when we started what it would turn into.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 am

Next blog post of arriving in the Yukon is up! We stopped in Jade City along the way, helped some people with car trouble and saw a brown bear. http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/07/arriving-in-yukon.html?m=1
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am

Next blog post of the day our trailer spring broke near Teslin, Yukon is up! It was the day before summer solstice, the darker photos were taken at midnight http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/07/first-day-yukon-to-teslin.html?m=1
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby DaddyJeep » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:47 am

How many times can you weld a spring back together? I'm thinking it is time for a new one. I am sure that can be a challenge where you are at.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 am

DaddyJeep wrote:How many times can you weld a spring back together? I'm thinking it is time for a new one. I am sure that can be a challenge where you are at.
I am a little behind on the blog posts so the spoiler alert is that you cant weld spring steel and have it hold. I knew that but just hoped it would be good enough to make it to whitehorse. He welded it again the next day but i only made it 60 miles before it broke again. Took 3 days to get to whitehorse and get new springs :( but i eventually got there and got them. I should have just done the 7hr drive the first day and got them replaced right the first time. Changing springs is such a pain.

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm

What a Great Adventure !!! 8) Were those springs overloaded ?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 pm

It sure is! They werent overloaded, i checked their weight rating before i left. I would have to find my paper back but iirc they were each rated at 1100 pounds. I only had 850 pounds on each tire. I think there was some defect in the spring when it was made or something. Who knows

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:12 am

After that , I think maybe "over springing” may be indicated … just for safety eh … :thinking: Good luck !!! Bon Voyage !!! (continuing)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 am

GPW wrote:After that , I think maybe "over springing” may be indicated … just for safety eh … :thinking: Good luck !!! Bon Voyage !!! (continuing)
Yeah, its definatly more than enough spring now, trailer bounces all over. I was enjoying the smooth ride before this! Now our stuff gets jostled bad, eggs get broken, stuff in our trailer gets rearranged while we drive...

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 am

Next blog post of the spring breaking again and my fix to still make it to whitehorse. Also the Teslin museums and the midnight sun in Whitehorse. http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-trailer-spring-breaks-again.html?m=1
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

How about some trailer shock absorbers ? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:15 am

GPW wrote:How about some trailer shock absorbers ? :thinking:
I looked at doing them before i left but the way my trailer frame is i couldnt see a way to mount them nicely

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am

Dan, there were some shocking diccussions in the General Section some time ago … But those never did look quite right , more a compromise … D Guess this has never really been adequately addressed , just nobody complained about the Eggs before eh … :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Alright, i could check it out later, but my frame is angle iron and i cant really remove my pmf camper to weld shock brackets on anymore :/

dancam
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies