Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Got the top half up this morning! That was really exciting. Finally got the supports made. Still dont have the tie-down hooks at the back done, but heres what it looks like up! I am 6ft tall by the way.

This is the gap by the doors:

Still dont have my fenders on :/

About a 1 inch gap to the side to let air in and 1 inch overlap to keep rain out.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Last edited by dancam on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
When will we see a nicely sized picture of the roof popped up? Did I miss it?

The post right above this! :)

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:16 pm

So saterday and today i am narrowing the tongue box. I cut 4 inches out of the middle of the box part and glued it back togeather saterday. Glued and stapled a 5inch wide strip over the floor seam.
Still have to recut front ribs and the 1/8th for the front.

I cut another rib for the lid and spaced it the distance i want to cut out and glued it in just now. When the glue is dry i will take out the spacers and use a handsaw to cut on the inside of each of those ribs. Then join them togeather and it should be the right distance narrower and hopefully still square :/

This was my solution to the no support behind where the side meets the top on the lid. Hopefully it is sufficiently strong now.

Last edited by dancam on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancam
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:13 pm

You are going to have to figure out how to get those photos smaller....Or I need a big screen TV! :thinking:

I saw a hand!!!!.... Well part of a hand. ;)
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Are my last set of photos too big for others to see as well? I had that on my first post, then people said it was fine, now with this post your saying its big again. are my previous photos too big as well or just the last set?
They all appear the same to me, sorry.

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Dan , you really need to post like EVERYBODY else does … or you need to set the size of the pictures on whatever you’re taking pictures with … as I said before , if we can’t see it , we can’t comment … and on that note , I like your metal shed … :thumbsup: ( all we can see)

If you want good results ( that we all can see) post your pictures to YOUR personal Gallery then post the gallery image to the forum ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:30 pm

GPW wrote:Dan , you really need to post like EVERYBODY else does … or you need to set the size of the pictures on whatever you’re taking pictures with … as I said before , if we can’t see it , we can’t comment … and on that note , I like your metal shed … ( all we can see)

If you want good results ( that we all can see) post your pictures to YOUR personal Gallery then post the gallery image to the forum ... ;)

How does everyone else do it then? I upload the image to imgur. Put it in an album. Copy its link and paste it here. As far as i knew thats how everyone does it.
By 'my personal gallery' you just mean imgur right? Or what?
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:38 pm

You need to ask this question in the general discussion , there are some good experts on downloading pictures …

Most of us below just use the button below “ Upload attachments” and that posts them direct to the post … or you should have a little camera icon below your name panel ( <- left) , that’s YOUR own personal Gallery to download your pics into .. There forever for people to enjoy and consult . You can see my Gallery as an example by pressing the little camera icon below my name , right next to the PM button .
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 pm

If you use the upload attachment below those pictures will still be too big and it will reject them. They need to be resized. I use Paint to do this. When you open Paint you can open the file you want and then hit resize in the upper left corner. You can then inter the percentage you want of the original size. I would say with what you post you would probably be in the 15-25% range. Then I save the picture and put a small s at the end of the file name. That way I know which one is the smaller picture for forum use.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby amandacreiglow » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:45 pm

That's the nice thing about browsing on mobile... the pictures play nice size-wise! But yeah, second (fourth?) what the others were saying about uploading rather than linking and sizing them down.

As for the pop up -- looks great! Very spacious inside. Do the supports feel solid when they're in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 pm

GPW wrote:You need to ask this question in the general discussion , there are some good experts on downloading pictures …

Most of us below just use the button below “ Upload attachments” and that posts them direct to the post … or you should have a little camera icon below your name panel ( <- left) , that’s YOUR own personal Gallery to download your pics into .. There forever for people to enjoy and consult . You can see my Gallery as an example by pressing the little camera icon below my name , right next to the PM button .

ghcoe wrote:If you use the upload attachment below those pictures will still be too big and it will reject them. They need to be resized. I use Paint to do this. When you open Paint you can open the file you want and then hit resize in the upper left corner. You can then inter the percentage you want of the original size. I would say with what you post you would probably be in the 15-25% range. Then I save the picture and put a small s at the end of the file name. That way I know which one is the smaller picture for forum use.

Alright, i thought there was a limit to how much you could upload to this site and it was small, guess im wrong if thats what everyone does.
And i dont/cant do anything with the home computer, too slow and not enought data to use with it. I try to do everything on my phone over free wifi at work or the library, department store...

amandacreiglow wrote:That's the nice thing about browsing on mobile... the pictures play nice size-wise! But yeah, second (fourth?) what the others were saying about uploading rather than linking and sizing them down.

As for the pop up -- looks great! Very spacious inside. Do the supports feel solid when they're in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, only issues are when photos are so small you cant see them.
Thanks!
The supports are solid but i need to make shims for the sides to keep the wind from rocking the top around.

How does this look? Image
dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:46 am

NICE !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:30 am

Perfect! Looks good. :thumbsup:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 am

“ The supports are solid but i need to make shims for the sides to keep the wind from rocking the top around. “ … What about some thin rubber gasket material ? … or something like that ? Just an idea . :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 am

Maybe just hook you hold down straps on diagonals to form cross bracing?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies