PMF bed sheets Flannel ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

PMF bed sheets Flannel ?

Postby rustytoolss » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Might be able to get some flannel bed sheets. What do you think of using flannel sheet for PMF. just asking (sure this will get shot down) :oops: :roll: :NC
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: PMF bed sheets Flannel ?

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Cotton flannel? :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:26 am

You need to TEST a piece ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 am

Except for a cosmetic project, I'd use canvass. I've thought about scrap materials but the labor is so intensive to cover a camper that the small amount of extra cost of tough proven canvas is well worth the small added cost for a perfect job.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 am

pchast wrote:Cotton flannel? :thinking:

I would think so ...not sure. :NC
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:00 am

Tomterrific wrote:Except for a cosmetic project, I'd use canvass. I've thought about scrap materials but the labor is so intensive to cover a camper that the small amount of extra cost of tough proven canvas is well worth the small added cost for a perfect job.

T

I understand what you are saying. But this is a true budget project. Was thinking of using the flannel sheets to strengthen the interior walls.
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:37 am

I have also thought to use bed sheets (two layers) as a base outer covering. Then use canvas as my final top coat final layer.
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:45 am

For one who trys to stay open minded about Foamies ... :roll: ... There are a LOT of suitable fabrics available to cover a foamie in ... Many even stronger than canvas, but not necessarily the SLICK automotive APPEARANCE most folks are looking for ... And Cotton is not the strongest , or most Lasting of fibers... :roll:

Remember in our superficially programmed society , appearances are everything , not quality or durability , nor practicallity .... A Foamie trailer is an ALTERNATIVE to those things we know do NOT work .... ( but look so nice ) :R The “Thinking man’s trailer” !!! That’s what we do here eh ??? We THINK ,discuss the possibilities,test new methods and materials , and then build and compare experiences to the benefit of everyone ... All rather “scientific” ... :thumbsup: And if you recall, nobody has been complaining about their Foamie being overweight , expensive , or rotting ... Now this Foamling group has travelled hundreds of thousands of miles , with only one tip over (Strong NM crosswind) , and one HF trailer weld failure... That’s really Not bad at all , especially if you read of the experiences of those who choose the other route... :frightened:

We personally have been trying to connect up locally with someone who can provide inexpensive JUTE coffee bean bags ( widely imported here) , extremely durable material ( they make Rope out of it ) but a bit Coarse weave... but perhaps that would be an interesting textural finish on the outside ... It sure would be strong enough , and a couple layers would add a tough durable finish even over Foam ... :thinking: And the idea is we would get them for FREE ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:51 am

Rusty , give it a try ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:10 pm

I was just using flannel for something else friday. I do not believe it would work. Not a tough enough materiel to provide any strength. 2 layers of bedsheets would be better, visit a hospital and see if you can get free used ones. however the cost of the extra glue doing 2 layers may offset the savings from not buying canvass.
dancam
500 Club

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:09 pm

I did a test with a hospital blanket and found it to be thinnish.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67007

And while it is on the thin side, I was thinking about laying another layer with the weave going in the opposite direction
to see if it would give better coverage and strength .

I would agree that it would double the work, but still free... Nothing beats a try except a failure
Hell will still be burning when you get there
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lthomas987 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:07 am

Depends a lot on the flannel but most of it is really short staple (aka tears easily) Once it's fixed that might not matter much though. But also a lot of it has polyester in it and won't glue well. I used linen myself, so there are alternatives to the tarps. One nice thing about something like flanel would be it would absorb less glue.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Return to Foamies