A Question @ Floors...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

A Question @ Floors...

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:52 pm

I am uncertain as to whether I am going to do any late season camping, *50 degrees, maybe. Should I insulate if I think I will be camping as late as October/November? or just go without? This is only about the floor. The rest is hybrid

ScottE's build is something similar to what I should end up with. vinyl/ 3/4" ply floor. Or, I can go 1/2' ply/foam/ply...

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=64860

as always, thx for the input.
Hell will still be burning when you get there
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A Question @ Floors...

Postby rowerwet » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:30 pm

you will already be sleeping on a few inches of insulation, I just added a layer of those interlocking foam flooring squares like they sell for work rooms or play rooms. It keeps the mattress out of any water that may condense and run, and keeps us from bottoming out when kneeling on the mattress.
If you are going to be in the teardrop long term in cool to cold weather, you will find the bottom of the mattress gets damp from condensation. This will lead to mold unless you peel up the matress during the day and let it dry.
The easiest solution to the problem would be to put a vent under the center of the mattress and have channels routed into the layer under the mattress, that flow incoming air out to the walls, and allow any condensation to drain. For a few nights at a time, just check under the mattress each morning, and add a layer of the foam squares as they won't soak up water like a foam mattress will.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:17 pm

I thought about some sort of breathable material under the mattress. I trimmed a 5 x 8 indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's for $18. But still need to get the air under there!!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:14 pm

I will be camping as late as October/November?

In Idaho or in Arizona?

Here's my two-bits. If you are building a teardrop, my answer is no––just go with a minimum of 5" of foam for a mattress (ours is seven with the topper). A standy? I'd insulate it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:20 pm

I put 1 inch of blue foam in mine. If I had it to do over I would have skipped it. The coldest I have slept in it was 20 degrees when I went to bed and 12 when I got up. Cold coming up through the floor was not a problem and at that time I had some to soft of foam that compressed until I was sleeping on the floor. That has been remedied

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Pwfyrcat1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:44 pm

I've been mulling this over for a couple of days. I was thinking that I can always put down a rug. I don't imagine me camping in any temperature less than 40. ;)
Hell will still be burning when you get there
Pwfyrcat1
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Foamies