Foamie roof ? snow load

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie roof ? snow load

Postby dancam » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Camp4Life wrote:Sorry to be sort of off-topic here, but what OP827 said about standing on the roof shocked me a bit... Can you actually stand on the roofs of the foamies? Are they that strong??

I think i could stand on my foamie roof but i wont try it, dont want to dent it or risk cracking it. Its 1.5 thick 5x12 and i think it could handle it, their pretty strong.
But for snow load here its 22 pounds per square foot minimum. Everything ive built in construction was built for more than that, i think every engineer does here anyway, and roofs still collapse on newer buildings every few years when we get a big snowfall. 2 years ago there were over 20 barn roofs collapsed just in the county i grew up in. But anyway, if you stand on the roof its more like 150 pounds (or whatever you weigh) in the square foot you stand on, but 22 psf means the whole roof, which for my trailer means 1320 pounds total spread out over the whole roof. So im putting vertical supports up to the spars for the winter, lol.
dancam
500 Club

Re: Foamie roof ? snow load

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:43 am

I have no doubt that I could stand on my roof, but being of hybrid construction it is not representative of most foamies! :D Still pretty light weight, tho. 8)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies