A new Polyether adhesive, anyone knows or uses it?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

A new Polyether adhesive, anyone knows or uses it?

Postby OP827 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 pm

Dear foamie friends,

I just came accross this adhesive http://www.chemlink.com/m-1. I can buy it in my area, it is comparable to PL in cost, local wholesale construction distributor carries it, but does not carry PL, which was a surprise to me. It seems like Polyether adhesive could be replacing PL Premium in construction. It is 100% solids, 400psi strength(similar to PL), moisture cured but with no bubbling like PL does, practically no VOCs.

What do you think or know about it? I am thinking of using it to glue foam to metal beading, for example, instead of GS or GG that do bubble.
OP827
Donating Member

Re: A new Polyether adhesive, anyone knows or uses it?

Postby MtnDon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:51 am

Never heard of it but as well as being foam friendly what I find attractive is that is remains elastic after curing making it a structural adhesive. That has some advantages; failure is not a sudden catastrophic failure where one moment everything is fine and the next it breaks. However in home and commercial construction, the elasticity also means that it needs a mechanical connector. Using it to glue foam to foam might need some testing to see if the elasticity is a problem or not. The specs state it has "nearly 400 psi shear strength". Check and see how that compares to the shear strength of foam.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Sounds similar to PL300 (blue)? :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:30 pm

KCStudly wrote:Sounds similar to PL300 (blue)? :thinking:

KC, I don't think so. I looked at the MSDS and PDS for both. PL 300 is water based and soluble, needs at least one of the surfaces be porous to be able to air dry and evaporate, it is not 100% solids. Chemlink M-1 is chemically different, it is Polyether based, non-water soluble, 100% solids(like epoxy for example). It is a moisture cure adhesive, similar to PL premium or other polyurethane glues (GS,GG etc.), but it will not bubble like polyurethane if there is more moisture added. I am inclined to buy a tube and experiment with it when I have some time. I am looking for economical and safer way (no epoxy) to make sandwich panels and glued structures with metal, xps foam, FRP. I think if I spread this adhesive on metal or FRP and then moisturise the other gluing surface (foam, wood etc.) with water, the bond should work. It is way cheaper and safer than epoxy and has long enough working time.

MtnDon wrote:..Check and see how that compares to the shear strength of foam.

MtnDon, 400psi is about 10x higher than XPS foam compressive strength. XPS Foamular C300 will deform 10% at 30psi.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:49 pm

I should have been clearer. I meant that the 'somewhat flexible when cured' part sounded like PL300, which is very much like latex or silicon caulk when cured... rubbery. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Oh, ok, yes, I think M-1 adhesive is somewhat rubbery, which I think is good for trailer structure being subject to vibration and shaking. I wonder if I can make a 1.5" light gauge galvanized steel stud/track, foam and frp light weight panel structure with it..
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:33 pm

I bought one tube of M-1 and tried it. Yes, it is rubbery when cured, maybe somewhat weaker bond and strenght than PLP. Easier to handle and apply than PL, it is sort of like a soft butter consistency when out of tube, easy to spread. Downside is I found it not such of a strong bond comparing to polyurethanes. Upside: it will probably work great as a sealant between metal beading and foam, aluminum and FG etc., but not for large panels lamination due to difficulties with air moisture curing, 2C polyurethane glues are probably the best for that purpose, never used them though.., I am back to epoxy again.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Kaz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:43 pm

I use the chemlink m1 as much as i can. It can be messy to work with but it makes a great plyable seal. It remains flexible and is actually a adhesive as well. I get it for free so it works even better.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Kaz wrote:I use the chemlink m1 as much as i can. It can be messy to work with but it makes a great plyable seal. It remains flexible and is actually a adhesive as well. I get it for free so it works even better.

Where in a trailer build are you using it?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:34 pm

I got some Inox stuff that sounds similar to that last week to glue aluminium to aluminium and its strong as an ox.
Its a clearish silvery colour and stays fairly flexable when cured
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Kaz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:28 am

OP827 wrote:
Kaz wrote:I use the chemlink m1 as much as i can. It can be messy to work with but it makes a great plyable seal. It remains flexible and is actually a adhesive as well. I get it for free so it works even better.

Where in a trailer build are you using it?[/quote

I use it under all my exterior trim and body and any where I want a watertight seal
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for the information, Kaz.
OP827
Donating Member

Return to Foamies