Faomie floor

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Faomie floor

Postby Tempest » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Been reading massive amounts of info but mostly in the Foamie section as that is what I'm looking to build (I think!) Question: Why is no one using treated plywood for the flooring? At least I haven't seen it yet. Seems would cost about the same once treating regular plywood. Does treated plywood have disadvantages that I should be aware of?
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Re: Faomie floor

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:34 am

Perhaps a Health disadvantage with conventional PT lumber products ... ??? We’ve strived to “treat” our own plywood ( all wood really ) with something less Toxic ... “ The Mix “
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:10 pm

GPW wrote:Perhaps a Health disadvantage with conventional PT lumber products ... ??? We’ve strived to “treat” our own plywood ( all wood really ) with something less Toxic ... “ The Mix “

That above and perhaps also the fact that all the Alkaline copper quaternary(ACQ) treatments accelerate corrosion of metal fasteners and thus trailer frame relative to ACQ untreated wood.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Tempest » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:21 pm

Thank you for the replies. My plans currently are for 1/2" treated plywood bottom with 1 1/2" foam inside with 1/4" or 1/2" luan and maybe linoleum flooring. I want to make sure I have some insulation in the floor also. Hoping this camper will go from pu flatbed to trailer to skis so the plan is to have some kind of UHMW runners attached to the bottom of the treated just for a bit of wear protection for the treated plywood while being moved around a bit.
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:48 am

If I understand correctly, you are planning a small shelter cabin that will be transported on a flatbed, a trailer and a sledge built on a steel angle platform?

Consider .050" or .063" sheet aluminum riveted to the angle with the extruded polystyrene insulation & vinyl flooring laid on top.

It may be lighter & certainty a more durable floor than plywood for your application. See design below for ideas.

Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tempest » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 am

You are correct AT. Your pics are very nice! We are in a very tax happy county so don't want another dedicated trailer or 3 different campers! Hoping one will satisfy most needs.
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies