Bluebird

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Bluebird

Postby Don L. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:45 pm

No problems with rain, driving in it or just camping. It hasn't come open on the road, I think it stays secure.

Here's a link to the exact magnetic retriever thingy I used, I got it at Home Depot but this link is Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Magne ... 6/21270930

I tried hinges that were spring loaded at first and even a lot of them would only raise it open a couple of inches, so I still used the hinges but attached the arm thingy to raise it. Only trick is getting some flat screws and nuts that won't interfere with the hinge and cause it to bind. I ended up morticing the jamb to receive the hinge to get room for the nuts but many different arrangements and hinges could work.

I just put some weatherstripping in the other day, it had no water issues even before that.

I used a crummy little screw to go through the window into the arm, when/if it fails I'll get a nicer one.
As you can see throughout I just need things to work well and look reasonably good. I spent a lot of time working on it this year and really want to get away and fish or golf or hike, bike, kayak, stare at a fire, I don't really care what!
Attachments
Camper window detail 1.jpg
Camper window detail 1.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
camper window detail 2.jpg
camper window detail 2.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
camper window detail 3.jpg
camper window detail 3.jpg (82.72 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Don L. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:51 pm

When I canvassed the window opening I cut it a little bigger than my window Jamb/frame that I had built and wrapped the canvas around the corner into the opening. The frame covers the canvas edges. I attached it by screwing two 4" screws into the wall on each end and the caulked the frame in place with bathroom adhesive caulk.
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you very much Don for taking your time and sharing your expereince with these windows design and build. I have a similar idea for my build, except I am guilty of trying to perfect its design by making it double pane, nice looking, etc., but I now tend to agree with you on just making it work and then going out and spending time camping in it. Most importantly you have proven with your experience that this simple swing out top hinge window design is working. Thanks again and I wish you good travels with your nice camper! You did a great job with it and you must be proud of your achievement!
:thumbsup: :applause:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Don, I just saw on the other homemade caravan how similar awning homemade window is being fixed open by using a small mono or tripod telescoping leg, see the picture linked from that build site:

I think I would use the idea for my build, but slightly modified. :thinking:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Belated thanks for all the kind words OP827!

Is the picture you just posted yours or someone else's?

I wish I could have found a mechanism that would extend the window while a screen is in place but I just couldn't find anything, (well, cheap at least).

Today I did see one in this video at about 1:30 into the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8tTybJowg
I don't know where he got it but it looks good.
I like the awning type because you get so much airflow compared to sliding or double hungs.

I would like to see how yours turns out and I'm sure other should too, keep us updated please.
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Don,
The above picture is from a homemade caravan website - https://jasman.home.xs4all.nl/. The author has built a great ligth and tiny camping trailer with lifting roof and slide out. And then he built a toy camper and the picture is from that build.
As for the awning window in a teardrop, I think I saw that type of window before on someones built here, but cannot recall. It looks like a typical crank mechanism. It is probably possible to adapt the mechanism from homedepot, but they are not cheap, actually comparable in price to what you can buy on ebay. Having a bug screen complicates the solution. The window that you saw on youtube can be bought on ebay, here is one of them -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Teardrop-Trailer-Cargo-Horse-Trailer-Crank-Out-Awning-Window-18-x15/381331987516?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39823%26meid%3D2bb4aa05504141928fb0ace402d82c69%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D262387308693

Cheers,
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Don, I do not know if you saw this discussion topic on the forum, but anyways, what do you think of angib design that allows screen be in place - http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51897#p957807
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:34 pm

Yeah, I like that design a lot. Ya just have to make some of the parts but not too difficult. Had I seen that I might have done that.

Thanks!
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Don, I just watched this tour to factory by a member of this forum, Cosmo, and I saw similar details of these awning windows, I like them, because they can be made of various shapes - https://youtu.be/TcT0fCrwRoY?t=63. More food for thought.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Mobilesport » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Don
How did you get your rigid foam roof panel to bend like that ?
Also ,,, have you ever thought about going over the final product with fiberglass?
Thanks
Mobilesport
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Don L. » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 pm

I kerfed the inside of the curve using my table saw. On the tight bends i had 2 blades on the saw, different diameter blades so the deep cut was thin and the shallow part of the cut wider. I probably didn't need the 2 blades. I realized after the fact that when the kerf is cut, the inside corner of the cut compresses easily against the other side of the kerf, so a thinner kerf would have been better. Less foam coming out of the kerf, having to be trimmed when dry and less filling later.

It's time consuming but predictable. I ran a few strips of packing tape on the outside bend (perpendicular to the kerfs) to keep the foam in compression and not risk breaking there.
Just before I attached the pieces I squirted a little foam into the kerfs to help fill and glue it more solid. Even after it was glued in place I was filling some hollow places in the kerfs which took a little time.

With fiberglass being a harder surface I would have been tempted to make a flawless surface, which I can do, but then it's more time, mixing, sanding, smoothing, it's toxic too. How would I paint it?
The PMF is a pretty forgiving process. I went quickly and got me out camping, I camped about 30 days in its first year! The first few times it was just coated with primer. Already dented it with my tailgate backing up, pretty easy to patch. I like it!
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Don L. » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Maybe I misread your question, do you mean clear fiberglass over the painted canvas? I never thought that. Brush a clear coat on?
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Mobilesport » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:52 am

Like rolling the resin over the paint, laying more material and then more resin is what I was thinking , , where I live in Iowa we get pretty strong storms and I would like to try and make it a little stronger .
Mobilesport
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:01 am

The harder the surface , the more brittle it will be and harder to repair …. PMF works beautifully , repairs easily …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fiddlin'Billy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Were you at Clifftop this year? I swear I saw a little camper with your paint job there...
Fiddlin'Billy
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies