Foamie shower

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie shower

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:44 am

Question: If one was to build an inside cabinet with the same 2" foam used for the structure and cover the inside cabinet with the same processes as the outside using canvas and TBII, would the coverings work in a shower environment?? Basically wet down, lather, rinse. Very low water use. I would use a shower pan but the walls would be canvas and TBII. Actual rv shower components are not cheap! I have no choice. My foamie WILL have a spit shower!
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Re: Foamie shower

Postby lthomas987 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:49 am

I don't see why it wouldn't. A shower isn't much different from a rain shower. Just use paint meant for moisture exposure. I used 1" foam for all my internal cabinets and framing, and finished my outside and inside just the same (save for paint color).
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:34 pm

It would probably be hard to keep clean with the texture. I am thinking of a shower too, and though that FRP wall panels glued right to the foam would work great. Simple shower pan or similar product to catch water in the bottom and you are set. :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tempest » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 pm

The 1" foam with canvas applied to both sides would be strong enough??? What is FRP wall panels?? My thoughts also on a simple floor pan for the shower.
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Postby dancam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 pm

Frp bonds well to foam using pl premium, i tried it. You could get a cheap new or second hand shower enclosure and glue it to the foam. Or there is a waterproofing materiel you can get. Very tough stuff. Lay fibreglass mat down on the foam and then brush it on. Doesnt have to be thick. Its like $100 a gallon though. I can find out the name of it if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby lthomas987 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Tempest wrote:The 1" foam with canvas applied to both sides would be strong enough??? What is FRP wall panels?? My thoughts also on a simple floor pan for the shower.

Well time will tell about 1" foam with canvas and paint on both sides but that's all my internal structure is made of. Seems fine so far. I don't put anything heavy in the over foot cabinets but mostly I had them in mind for things like clothes and small electronics anyhow, so that works fine. I don't know that it would hold up if I tried to break it. Possibly it might be weak over a tall vertical span.

FRP is fiberglass reinforced plastic. It comes in sheets 4'x8' sheets that are like 0.090" thick. Hereis a link from the big orange store. It is the sort of stuff they put up in the walls of public bathrooms. It's waterproof, pebbled, I am using it on some headboard bits on my trailer. I hadn't found a good adhesive so hooray for finding that PL Premium is the one to go with.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:31 pm

lthomas987 wrote:
Tempest wrote:The 1" foam with canvas applied to both sides would be strong enough??? What is FRP wall panels?? My thoughts also on a simple floor pan for the shower.

Well time will tell about 1" foam with canvas and paint on both sides but that's all my internal structure is made of. Seems fine so far. I don't put anything heavy in the over foot cabinets but mostly I had them in mind for things like clothes and small electronics anyhow, so that works fine. I don't know that it would hold up if I tried to break it. Possibly it might be weak over a tall vertical span.

FRP is fiberglass reinforced plastic. It comes in sheets 4'x8' sheets that are like 0.090" thick. Hereis a link from the big orange store. It is the sort of stuff they put up in the walls of public bathrooms. It's waterproof, pebbled, I am using it on some headboard bits on my trailer. I hadn't found a good adhesive so hooray for finding that PL Premium is the one to go with.

There is a store local to me that also sells frp in 4x10 and 4x12. I wanted 5x10 for my ceiling but no luck. I took a sample 5x8 inch or so piece of frp, glued it to foam and then immediately suspended it so the frp was hanging. Did not fall off while the glue was still wet and was stuck quite well in my opinion when dry. I however did not do a full sheet on my trailer as i couldnt get 5ft wide sheets.
dancam
500 Club

Return to Foamies