foamie wall to floor attachment options ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: foamie wall to floor attachment options ?

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:24 am

KCStudly wrote:One more thing that may or may not have made the wall to floor joint stronger and less prone to splitting the cedar; I staggered the row of screws. Rather than putting them all in a straight line down the center of my 2x2 sill board, I staggered every other screw in or out about 1/2 inch so as to broaden the footprint of the clamping effect and lengthen any potential interruption between individual wood fibers. IIRC I spaced the screws every 6 to 8 inches or so along the length of the wall; probably a little overkill but it made for a nice solid joint that pulled the PLP down nicely.

Glad to hear somebody else does this :) I also staggered my screws to keep the wall cleat (sill board) from trying to pivot about its axis when torqued by the wall. I didn't do any math to figure out how effective it was ... but in theory, it's a good idea. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:31 pm

KCStudly wrote:
Andrew Herrick wrote:...did you experience any splitting with the cedar?

None that I can recall, and none for sure at the floor to wall joints. I did do a dry fit; pilot drilled all of the screws with a countersinking pilot bit up thru from underneath; and then opened the holes thru the floor up for the shanks of the coated deck screws.

For the floor and bulkhead internal frames, door surrounds and door frames I mostly used plate (biscuit) joinery, but wherever I did screw I pilot drilled. Anywhere critical that I felt I might be doing multiple assembly/disassembly cycles during dry fits, specifically with the small #6 screws, after pulling the screw out I put a drop of CA glue in the hole and let that soak in to strengthen the "wooden threads". There weren't too many spots where I felt this was needed, but it is a good trick to know for soft woods.

CA glue. ??
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Cyanoacrylate, same as crazy glue.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies