coldest you have camped in a foamie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: coldest you have camped in a foamie?

Postby KennethW » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Do you have a link to that thread? This could be ideal if the tank could be kept warm.
KennethW wrote:
For the hot water heater system would a person use something like this.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eccotemp-1-5 ... lsrc=aw.ds
Antifreeze a very small pump and 4 runs of copper pipe on the ceiling with reflectors(for radiant heat).

Not really, that vents right where it is, you would want one that could be vented outside so you dont die :)

The water heated is place outside. not inside. On the outside of the front wall so when not in use it can go into the hitch box.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

coldest you have camped in a foamie?

Postby dancam » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:26 pm

KennethW wrote:Do you have a link to that thread? This could be ideal if the tank could be kept warm.
KennethW wrote:
Antifreeze a very small pump and 4 runs of copper pipe on the ceiling with reflectors(for radiant heat).

Not really, that vents right where it is, you would want one that could be vented outside so you dont die :)

The water heated is place outside. not inside. On the outside of the front wall so when not in use it can go into the hitch box.

Ok, I started reading the thread but hadnt gotten very far yet. Its on my list of ones to read when i start planing this trip more.
Probably if you did a few wraps of the tubing around the propane bottle as it returns to the heater and had a way to remotely control it then it would work well.
I hadn't thought about that earlier, only that it would have to be inside to control.
I like how much info there is on this site :) thanks for sharing the links with me.
dancam
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:08 pm

dancam wrote:
KennethW wrote:Do you have a link to that thread? This could be ideal if the tank could be kept warm.
KennethW wrote:

Ok, I started reading the thread but hadnt gotten very far yet. Its on my list of ones to read when i start planing this trip more.
Probably if you did a few wraps of the tubing around the propane bottle as it returns to the heater and had a way to remotely control it then it would work well.
I hadn't thought about that earlier, only that it would have to be inside to control.
I like how much info there is on this site :) thanks for sharing the links with me.

The way that heater works, it turns on when it senses water flow. So a thermostat could be inside that would start the pump and that would start the heater. Those heaters though are damaged if the water in them freezes, so that might be risky if you are in temps well below freezing. A water heater with a tank would be safer for that
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Socal Tom wrote:The way that heater works, it turns on when it senses water flow. So a thermostat could be inside that would start the pump and that would start the heater. Those heaters though are damaged if the water in them freezes, so that might be risky if you are in temps well below freezing. A water heater with a tank would be safer for that
Tom

One would want to use it only for heating and run antifreeze. Like Peak Sierra that is propylene glycol and nontoxic. http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/4 ... aQody2AFVQ
If One used snap couplers It could be drain and used in the summer for non-potable hot water.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lthomas987 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:47 am

What we need is a couple people to make up some foamy samples and leave them out in the winter and see how it goes. If I hadn't just given all my leftover foam away I'd make one up. If somebody has foam and wants to make me a panel I can leave it out all winter. I live in Minnesota and we regularly spend weeks below freezing and go below 0 F sometimes for days at a time. My trailer spends the winter tucked up in the garage, where it freezes solid but doesn't get THAT COLD.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby robhwashington » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Me and my son slept in the Brown teardrop the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year. It was 10 degrees F. We heated it up at 10 pm and then pulled the heater out and slept till 6 am and it was still about 55 or 60 inside the trailer with just our body heat. I have 4" thick foam on the sealing and the floor and walls are 2"
Attachments
20151219_162258-640x360.jpg
20151219_162258-640x360.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
robhwashington
Teardrop Builder

Postby dancam » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:41 am

Socal Tom wrote:
dancam wrote:
KennethW wrote:

The way that heater works, it turns on when it senses water flow. So a thermostat could be inside that would start the pump and that would start the heater. Those heaters though are damaged if the water in them freezes, so that might be risky if you are in temps well below freezing. A water heater with a tank would be safer for that
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, nice! I didnt realize they were that fancy. Thats sounds fairly simple.

lthomas987 wrote:What we need is a couple people to make up some foamy samples and leave them out in the winter and see how it goes. If I hadn't just given all my leftover foam away I'd make one up. If somebody has foam and wants to make me a panel I can leave it out all winter. I live in Minnesota and we regularly spend weeks below freezing and go below 0 F sometimes for days at a time. My trailer spends the winter tucked up in the garage, where it freezes solid but doesn't get THAT COLD.

Yes, if someone had some spare samples and could leave them out in the cold and then see if they snap or delaminate easy when stressed that would be awesome!

robhwashington wrote:Me and my son slept in the Brown teardrop the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year. It was 10 degrees F. We heated it up at 10 pm and then pulled the heater out and slept till 6 am and it was still about 55 or 60 inside the trailer with just our body heat. I have 4" thick foam on the sealing and the floor and walls are 2"

4inch thick foam? Wow! What made you decide to use that to build? Thats pretty good heat retention! How big is your build?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby robhwashington » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:50 pm

I put 4" of foam on the ceiling to give it more strength as there is no wood framing in the brown trailer. Also I camp year round here in central washington and it gets pretty cold in the winter. Originally it was 2" and after it was built I put another 2" on the inside. It heats quickly and stays that way. Another reason I added more insulation is I couldn't figure how to safely heat it in the winter, as I very seldom camp where there is power available. It is a 5 foot by 8 foot trailer and has plenty of room with the extra foam. Also I have a decent sleeping bag that I curl up in till it heats up. Still learning and trying to figure it out, loads of fun though!
robhwashington
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mary C » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:30 pm

in the middle of Jan started out at 38 F ended up about 27 F no heater just me and my little dog under a blanket and a down topper. I had on a tobbogin and 2 pair soxs did great! I had a great time in my Barn.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby razorback » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 pm

I have camped at 24F with the unit in the link below. It is approximately 18" by 24". It is a very soft radiant heat panel. It is on the wall that seperates the cabin and galley. It does not get hot enough to combust anything. I use the plug-in thermostat in the second link. Just set the temp at what is comfortable and it will keep the TD toasty.
https://www.wayfair.com/Cozy-Heater-LLC ... e=hotdeals
Thermostat link.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lux-5-2-Day- ... /204356315
I have used by unit since fall of 2007. It does not dry out the air in the TD. My wife when we first get in will put her socks directly on the panel to quickly warm her feet.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dancam » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks guys. Anyone have a chance to test the strength of pmf in the cold? I dont have any extra good pmf. It was down to -25f last month and i had some canvass glued and painted to wood. It seemed to still be bonded well. I broke some chunks of 1.5in blue foam and it semed much more brittle than when warm, but i kinda broke all the good chunks and didnt test any warm to do a direct comparison. Just going off memory there.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 am

razorback wrote:I have camped at 24F with the unit in the link below. It is approximately 18" by 24". It is a very soft radiant heat panel. It is on the wall that seperates the cabin and galley. It does not get hot enough to combust anything. I use the plug-in thermostat in the second link. Just set the temp at what is comfortable and it will keep the TD toasty.
https://www.wayfair.com/Cozy-Heater-LLC ... e=hotdeals
Thermostat link.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lux-5-2-Day- ... /204356315
I have used by unit since fall of 2007. It does not dry out the air in the TD. My wife when we first get in will put her socks directly on the panel to quickly warm her feet.
Larry

Would it be better to mount the panel on the ceiling and heat the top on the bedding? Or would it be like a tanning bed? :shock: I would guess that you would not be venting as much heat out in that you would not be heating air but heating the bed? Radiant is nice heat. ;) With the low wattage a person could use a small quiet generator when off grid. At the low wattage the generator might stay on idle.(really quiet) :thumbsup:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm

At that point you might as well just get a heating blanket.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies