Foamie cabinets

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie cabinets

Postby Thelgord » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:34 pm

This is amazing. I like the idea of the fiberglass screen rather than the canvas. This gives me so many ideas!

[edit]

This should be a sticky ...

[/edit]
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby jondecker76 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:47 am

Thelgord wrote:This is amazing. I like the idea of the fiberglass screen rather than the canvas. This gives me so many ideas!

[edit]

[/edit]

If I were to build a foamie trailer, I'd use aluminum screen. I really liked using the fiberglass screen because it was so easy to work with and it made a lot of sense for cabinets, but nothing that I've tested comes close to the strength of aluminum screen! Yes, it's much harder to work with (and to hold down flat while the gripper dries), but one of my test panels supported 80lbs with almost no noticeable deflection on a 12"x24" panel supported at each end lengthwise. For comparison, the same sized test panel made from canvas/wood glue bowed about 2" with 20 lbs of weight added and failed completely at 35 lbs.

One thing that I wanted to test but never got to was multiple layers of fiberglass screen. Perhaps 2-3 layers would catch up to the aluminum in terms of strength?
jondecker76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fotooutdoors » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:40 am

I'm curious about aluminum screened foam's ability to deal with thrown road debris compared to canvas. I wonder if they would tend to delaminate more since the screen obviously doesn't have as much give perpendicular to the plane. Regardless, if I ever do pursue my crazy ideas for a gull wing ttt, I will seriously consider using it as the inner on the roof, which I want to make load bearing.

Also, really interested in the bedliner as a protective skin that is easy to clean(mainly inside). Several folks have used it with wood construction, but I haven't found anyone who uses it on foam.

Sent on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.
fotooutdoors
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Thelgord » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:15 am

jondecker76 wrote:
Thelgord wrote:This is amazing. I like the idea of the fiberglass screen rather than the canvas. This gives me so many ideas!

[edit]

[/edit]

If I were to build a foamie trailer, I'd use aluminum screen. I really liked using the fiberglass screen because it was so easy to work with and it made a lot of sense for cabinets, but nothing that I've tested comes close to the strength of aluminum screen! Yes, it's much harder to work with (and to hold down flat while the gripper dries), but one of my test panels supported 80lbs with almost no noticeable deflection on a 12"x24" panel supported at each end lengthwise. For comparison, the same sized test panel made from canvas/wood glue bowed about 2" with 20 lbs of weight added and failed completely at 35 lbs.

One thing that I wanted to test but never got to was multiple layers of fiberglass screen. Perhaps 2-3 layers would catch up to the aluminum in terms of strength?

Really? That's amazing!

So really you could use both methods. Aluminum screen for structural components and the fiberglass for items you expect less stress on. I wonder what else you could make using this method? Uber light weight roof rack? Hehehehe ...
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby jondecker76 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:49 am

fotooutdoors wrote:I'm curious about aluminum screened foam's ability to deal with thrown road debris compared to canvas. I wonder if they would tend to delaminate more since the screen obviously doesn't have as much give perpendicular to the plane. Regardless, if I ever do pursue my crazy ideas for a gull wing ttt, I will seriously consider using it as the inner on the roof, which I want to make load bearing.

Also, really interested in the bedliner as a protective skin that is easy to clean(mainly inside). Several folks have used it with wood construction, but I haven't found anyone who uses it on foam.

Sent on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.

I think the aluminum screen would hold up pretty well by the test panel I did with it. I think that it is actually harder to delaminate than canvas for sure, mainly because it doesn't like to bend away from the foam.

I still haven't had the time to test the Monstaliner due to a ton of overtime at work, but I will soon! I also want to test formica sheets, I think it would be a nice professional finish and would probably be quite strong!
jondecker76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jondecker76 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:52 am

Jed from IntoTheMystery13 recently posted another video tour of the another foam-built van I did earlier this year, as well as a video we made on covering with the brown paper bag technique. Due to the light weight construction, fully converted and loaded up it weighs about the same as the original donor conversion van

jondecker76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby andrew7 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:43 pm

I just finished a foamie camp box. Its not hard, just different than wood working. I recommend trying one just as foam practice before getting started. The videos are nice helps to get going.
andrew7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby andrew7 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 pm

finally got them resized
Attachments
IMG_2329-1-1.jpg
IMG_2329-1-1.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
IMG_2327-1-1.jpg
IMG_2327-1-1.jpg (19.7 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
IMG_2299-1-1.jpg
IMG_2299-1-1.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Last edited by andrew7 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrew7
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:23 am

A little large for convenient viewing ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jimbo69ny » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:17 pm

I am tackling this exact issue right now. I am building a 5 x 12ish trailer right now. My tongue weight is high for my car right now so I need to add weight to the rear but not go crazy because I am trying to save weight.

Subscribing for good info.

Check out my youtube page for more info on my build

http://www.youtube.com/jimbo69ny
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:29 pm

jondecker76 wrote:

[edit]

[/edit]

So on the failure with the fiberglass screen, was it a delamination failure or did the screen actually fail? If delamination maybe alternate ideas for adhering it other than paint might fix that issue and add a lot more strength. I posted on the big thread about some plastic coverings that might just work perfectly with a screen embedded in it. They were made for movies to do set building cheaply and light and yet be very durable coating foam with a water based plastic covering.
Steve
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 am

Just a thought … using screen for covering foam , It MIGHT be really great in conjunction with Vacuum bagging … The screen would become part of the foam piece … no worries of it not sticking !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rmclarke » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Has anyone done any tests with patio sail cloth? (I did a search for it on the forum but I got 'nada')
It's like fiberglass screen, (except it's poly), lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and it's bi-axial. Big downside would be it's weave coarseness but I haven't really looked into it yet, perhaps it is made in a finer weave.

Anyway, if it has been covered before, please forgive my ignorance here. I am a 'noob' when it comes to foam, but I recently acquired a pop up donor frame which would make a dandy standy :D ...so I'm doing a lot of lurking on the foamy threads.

Cheers and carry on good people!

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:21 am

Lots of things to be tried for a covering … another Test subject … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby coyote » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 am

I need to be told where I failed on this. I watched the 2nd video a couple years ago, bought fiberglass screen roll, Gripper paint and blue insulation board from big box store. Made 2- 2'X4' pieces. During warm weather, I cut blue board, cut screen, rolled Gripper paint on the board, laid screen over it, pressed in place, rolled Gripper over it, allowed drying time, repainted with roller. During the I was building (2 years plus/minus a bit) it delaminated. I have 2 pieces of white screen and 1 foam board, in each case. I tried to "etch" (rough sand) the surface of the blue board and try again....I think it sounds great, and I have updates I would use this on if I could make it work. Seemed too well done, to be a hoax (and why?) and seems other peeps have done this. Does anyone have suggestions/ideas to help me correct? Thanks, Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies