Pallets and Foamie??

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Pallets and Foamie??

Postby dakippen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 am

I am in the very beginning stage of building a teardrop, in fact I don't even have plans or a trailer yet. I'm thinking through my head what I'd like for the outside and have the idea of using old pallets over the foamboard then my inside board of I'm not sure yet.

What would be the best way to secure all three layers or is this even feasible? For my interior, I'd like to eventually use maps as my "wallpaper.

Or is this just a crazy thought?

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

Debbie
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67862

Doing at almost 60 what I should have done at 20....
dakippen
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pallets and Foamie??

Postby kudzu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:44 am

First question, why do you want to use pallets with the foam? The foam alone has been shown to be quite strong enough for walls and roof, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to mount it to something else. Am just curious if you are doing it for something other than strength.

Second question, are you just meaning reclaimed pallet wood or the entire pallet? Am assuming you mean pallet wood.

It's not a crazy idea... depending on your reason for doing it. ;) But it will add a lot of weight and make construction more complex.

ETA: Pallets aren't built to be taken apart. There's a lot of manual labor involved if you start stripping the wood off. My trailer was factory built so I've already shown an inclination towards laziness but... If I were to try to incorporate pallets, I'd use those for the interior, like bed frame, cabinets, inner flooring, etc.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby dakippen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 am

I'm thinking the pallets will add character to the outside, something different. The foam I assume will act as my insulation???

Reclaimed pallet wood....and there is the thought of using the reclaimed wood as part of the interior build as well.

dakippen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lthomas987 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:47 am

Well you could just build a foamy normally. Then attach pallet wood on the outside with construction adhesive if it's the look you're after. I might resaw it to 1/4" thick to save weight. Would be an awesome vintage look

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby rruff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 am

dakippen wrote:I'm thinking the pallets will add character to the outside, something different. The foam I assume will act as my insulation???
Reclaimed pallet wood....and there is the thought of using the reclaimed wood as part of the interior build as well.

You can do pretty much anything provided you don't mind the weight. :) Pallet wood siding is going to by low strength/weight compared to most products that are used. :(

Your best strength/weight along with good insulation will be sandwich construction with thin outer layers and foam in the middle. Most in this section use a canvas and Titebond compsosite for the outer layers. It's simple, cheap, doesn't rot, and easy to work with.

If you prefer wood, I'd recommend using thin plywood for the outer layers of your foam sandwich, with a UV and waterproof veneer coating.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:06 pm

I really like building a 'rustic look' camper. My thoughts were to find an old wood fence being taken down and use the 1x6 boards vertically for the sides. Cedar boards would be very nice as they grey pretty and are light weight. The ends of the boards are cut to 4 or 5 feet, whatever the height, and to clean up damaged, worn ends. Battens are cut to seal between each board. My idea used corrugated steel roofing, easy to bend.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby dakippen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:18 pm

I would like a rustic look, but I also want to watch the weight as well. Since I haven't even started yet, I probably have time to figure out the best option. Thank you for the thoughts and ideas!

dakippen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:24 am

Tomterrific wrote:I really like building a 'rustic look' camper. My thoughts were to find an old wood fence being taken down and use the 1x6 boards vertically for the sides. Cedar boards would be very nice as they grey pretty and are light weight. The ends of the boards are cut to 4 or 5 feet, whatever the height, and to clean up damaged, worn ends. Battens are cut to seal between each board. My idea used corrugated steel roofing, easy to bend.

Tt

Something like this?

Or this?

Or perhaps this?

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby dakippen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:36 am

Absolutely!!! but that last image doesn't show... Not to mention hubby would just flip out if I suggested something like that! :frightened: :frightened: :frightened:

dakippen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Corrugated metal sure solves the roof curve bending problem ... That’s pretty STRONG stuff too ... :thumbsup: “ RAT CAMPERS “ ... They’re doing that with pickups and hot rods , so why not ? 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies