composite walls

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: composite walls

Postby hossesdad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:13 pm

KennethW: thanks. Love the solar panels and the dog.

QueticoBill: heat expansion is my anxiety, too. I need a compromise between ignoring it and overkill. I cannot quantify the force generated by a thin sheet (it is large for metals generally but different considerations apply for a thin sheet constrained in one plane). Anyway I don’t think it can be mechanically contained. Does anyone know where to find the force of expansion of thin sheet aluminium?

CharlieI; Durasips are interesting.

rruff: I will get a carpet seam roller, thanks. And I will run up a sample composite with the PL Premium and one other glue to test against epoxy, thanks for the tip. The look I am after is “expensive and well-engineered" but I am cheap and untrained. There is at this moment a certain psycho-dynamic tension in me. (DIY generates PDT like clouds generate rain, thats why people buy everything. They’re afraid. Imagine all the hard work and disappointment they are missing. People who buy everything become soft and end up in nursing homes. People who make everything are found face down in their workshops but still smiling, they were enjoying themselves right up until the explosion occurred. In New Zealand we believe anything can be self-built if you have enough mates and don’t run out of Lion Brown. In some remote districts you cannot leave school until you have built an off-road vehicle, a log splitter and an automatic rotisserie that takes 400lb pigs). (Girls included). ( If you ever come here, though, watch out Kiwis are shocking liars.)

Are sites like TNTTT in fact therapeutic encounter groups for the DIY damaged? I must ask Mike if he got the idea from his psychiatrist.

(I do hope you share my sense of humour; I suspect you do).

GPW: Love the lego and the foamstream.

Below is a picture of foam stood up in a spare room while we tried out sizes and floorplans.

hossesdad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 pm

hossesdad wrote:I cannot quantify the force generated by a thin sheet (it is large for metals generally but different considerations apply for a thin sheet constrained in one plane). Anyway I don’t think it can be mechanically contained. Does anyone know where to find the force of expansion of thin sheet aluminium?

Expansion is linear. (period) Doesn't matter if it is thin or thick. Where it goes when it expands is a factor of external forces (dissimilar expansion rates or temperature gradient) and stress.

hossesdad wrote:People who make everything are found face down in their workshops but still smiling, they were enjoying themselves right up until the explosion occurred.

Good attitude!

hossesdad wrote:In New Zealand we believe anything can be self-built if you have enough mates and don’t run out of Lion Brown. In some remote districts you cannot leave school until you have built an off-road vehicle, a log splitter and an automatic rotisserie that takes 400lb pigs). (Girls included). ( If you ever come here, though, watch out Kiwis are shocking liars.)

Lion Brown is mother's milk! Brown milk.

hossesdad wrote:Are sites like TNTTT in fact therapeutic encounter groups...?

Yes!

hossesdad wrote:I do hope you share my sense of humour; I suspect you do.

Yes!

Get tucked in, crack another beer, and keep reading. The answers are all here and your fears will be assuaged. Yes there will be differing opinions. Yes, there will be too many options to choose from, but in the end you will see that there are enough acceptable/proven methods (and/or suggestions that inspire you) that you will work your way through and end up with a perfectly acceptable build.

There are a lot of ways to do it right and just as many well documented ways to do it wrong. The trick is to read enough to learn how not to do it, pick the ways that make sense to you for your skills, available tools, familiar techniques and build environment (shop space, weather conditions, etc.), and/or experiment with the materials and methods that you are less confident in until you are confident enough to continue. Those who jump headlong in w/o doing enough research invariably make the "classic" mistakes; some even get discouraged to the point of despair and utter failure; others are able to work their way thru; while still others start over and over until they get it right.

There is a line between just building and getting it done, and perpetual design and experimentation. I have struggled with that line throughout my build, so can not offer good advice in this regard.

It's okay to make mistakes, but the sign of a true craftsman is their ability to fix them (or cover them up!).

Welcome to the forums. I look forward to following (and maybe contributing useful things) to your build!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:24 am

“ People who make everything are found face down in their workshops but still smiling, “ .... Likely my eventual fate ... :R

Like KC implies ,learn about it , enjoy it , it’s not all that difficult ... and if you get confused , find someone who worked on the Peter Jackson movies ... ( shouldn’t be difficult )

Lion Brown sounds like the local “spiritus fermenti " ... :beer: ( milk ...that’s for babies eh ? )

Just as an aside , lately we've been making Big Kumara T-shirts ... hahahaha
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rruff » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:50 pm

hossesdad wrote:3. PLYWOOD THICKNESS. I am persuaded to use no larger than ¼” plywood for the internal lining. I haven’t the courage to go to 1/8th on a structure this size (12’x’6’x7.2’). The RV manufacturers are comfortable with 2mm fibreglass on each side of the foam. The internet suggests that a ply or wood strip hull can be half the weight of fibreglass.

I suggest you take a look at the PMF builds in the "Foamies" section to see how light some people are going. Most are covering foam with nothing but a layer of 10oz canvas and Titebond2, then paint. That's a lot lighter than 1/8th plywood.

Just for fun I made a 48"x15"x1" piece of foam with 2.7mm luan glued to both sides. I can support it on the ends and jump up and down on it. It's very solid. 2" foam would be even stiffer.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby rruff » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:04 am

hossesdad wrote:The look I am after is “expensive and well-engineered" but I am cheap and untrained. There is at this moment a certain psycho-dynamic tension in me.
...Are sites like TNTTT in fact therapeutic encounter groups for the DIY damaged? I must ask Mike if he got the idea from his psychiatrist.

Oh no... expensive and well engineered! :shock: How many years (decades?) do you have? Plus a lot of this :worship: I'll settle for home made and functional... looking. If it isn't perfect, well.... :beer:
rruff
Teardrop Master

Postby greygoos » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:58 am

There is a lightweight build on this forum made with composite walls. I think it is the Little Hobo. Here is the link. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66930
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby hossesdad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:46 am

thanks Greygoose.

I have started building so have opened a build journal: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6 ... 5#p1196745
hossesdad
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Foamies