Gluing wall panel together (no open floor space)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Gluing wall panel together (no open floor space)

Postby rustytoolss » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Soon I will be gluing my wall panels together. Each wall has three foam sections. A 4x8, 2x8, 18"x6. The 4x8 will be on it's side/ the 2x8 will go on top of the 4x8, and the 18"x6 is added to the front of the other sections. End result is a 6'x9'6" wall panel.

The problem I have is the lack of floor space (22x24 garage/ my 46 pickup fills one side, and my 6x9 trailer fills the other side). So my only option is to stand the panels on the floor and stack them together with a tape hinge joint . Then gluing the 4x8 & 2x8 first, the add the 18"x6 to the front. I will be using GG.
I'm sure it would be better to have the panels flat on the floor, but that's not an option.
I was thinking of using Duct tape for my Tape hinge. (that may be over kill ???)
I'm open to suggestions on how best to glue my panels together in a vertical manor resting on the garage floor and against the garage door.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: Gluing wall panel together (no open floor space)

Postby ghcoe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Packing tape works great for gluing. You can get a good deal on it at Harbor Freight. I used it a lot on my build. I would also, clamp some of 2"x4" on each end and in the middle to hold the panels straight while the glue dries.

DSCF1993 small.jpg
Packing tape
DSCF1993 small.jpg (184.81 KiB) Viewed 758 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Packing tape works great for gluing. You can get a good deal on it at Harbor Freight. I used it a lot on my build. I would also, clamp some of 2"x4" on each end and in the middle to hold the panels straight while the glue dries.
Attachments
DSCF1993 small.jpg
DSCF1993 small.jpg (184.81 KiB) Viewed 757 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:20 am

Some people build their cabin floor first, either on or off the trailer, and then use that as a flat work surface to build the walls on. I built my trailer first and then moved it out of the shop to get it out of the way; built my floor and attached it to a temporary cradle set on saw horses so that I could work at a comfortable height and not be encumbered by the tongue, tires or axle getting in the way. Plus, once the walls went up I could remove the horses and be at a comfortable height to build the roof. The cradle may not even be needed in most cases, but makes moving the unit around, and jacking to tilt for better access or off vertical operations much easier.

Despite building flat, one of my walls still managed to have a large sweeping dip in it (but I think that was due to other influences). I can't imagine getting better results juggling stuff in midair.

Another option that comes to mind is building a panel support, similar to a work bench top tilted close to vertical (picture the panel saw at your local big box lumber store). Strong back a piece of ply with a frame made out of straight 2x3's, attach a cleat along the bottom edge and lean it up against one of the walls of your garage at about a 10-15 deg angle.

But why not just roll the trailer out of the way? If it is a kit trailer and you are worried about weather exposure (...my trailer will more than likely live outside, so who cares?...), take it back apart and store it so that you have the build space you need.
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:26 am

Get some plastic for the floor and glue it up in the house. You can get it done it just a couple of days with some planning.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:47 pm

I guess I had just not thought this through completely. My floor is already attached to the frame. I do have one prebuilt cabinet that is already glued to the floor. And my other cabinet structures are still removable . So I guess I can cover up the floor aith some tarps and or plastic. And roll it outside.... :oops:
I was just trying to avoid put it out in the weather. Some of my cabinets have been clamped down for so long, I forgot I can still remove them :oops:
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby lthomas987 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:19 pm

May I suggest tacking it together with either really long drywall screws or bamboo bbq skewers. If you go through the seams on an angle it will help keep the panels aligned while they dry. You can pull them out when you're done.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Just found out that the garage temps are to low for GG to setup correctly. :(
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby lthomas987 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Indoors? It only takes an hour or three flat. Then you can stand them to finish curing

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Return to Foamies