Custom foam door

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Custom foam door

Postby Tempest » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Those that have built a custom foam door instead of buying a manufactured TD door. Are you happy with the function of the door since you've got time and use on it? Still haven't decided whether to buy a manufactured or build a door.
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Re: Custom foam door

Postby pchast » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:50 am

Mine work. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:50 am

Sure !!! :thumbsup: The secret is getting your measurements right and then being very careful to build exact to those ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 am

My doors turned out pretty good. There are a few things to be aware of though.

My first issue is that I did not allow enough space for a thicker gasket in the threshold width. I figured on a gasket, just not a thick enough gasket to be able to seal against all the irregularities with the door and door frame. The thin gasket does not have enough reach to seal properly and a thicker gasket pushes the door out too far. I am thinking, in my case, I may have to make two new doors that are 1/4"-1/2" thinner to allow for a thicker gasket. The other option is to rebuild the threshold, but that would be a lot more work. Doors are easy.

The second issue is heat expansion. I installed my first door in the morning. I allowed a 1/8" clearance for the threshold clearance. Worked great until the sun came out and warmed everything up! Once warm the door catches on the lower bottom of the threshold. Not real bad, but enough to make me want to make another door to fix the problem. If the doors where not so thick (2") I think this would not be a issue. When I installed the second door I allowed for 1/4" clearance for the threshold. No problems there yet. I would recommend when installing your doors that you make your cuts and measurements when everything is nice and warm. That way expansion is nearly maxed out and you do not need to worry about whether you allowed enough clearances.
Attachments
DSCF4360.JPG
Door
DSCF4360.JPG (168.89 KiB) Viewed 505 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tempest » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Good to know on the clearances! Right now I'm thinking 2" walls and taking two pcs of 3/4" rigid foam one being about an inch larger on the outer dimensions and gluing them on top of each other. That way there will be a cpl steps for better seal and a half inch for the real door seal. I am a bit worried about the wrapping of the PMF around the steps of the door though. Also I plan on using long hinges so the door shuts more parallel to the walls so the seal is sandwiched instead of pinched on the hinge side. My thoughts are also gluing wood pcs into the foam for the door and wall to attach the hinge to for sturdier build.
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies