Medieval Tudor House Foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Medieval Tudor House Foamie

Postby joyofweaving » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Husband doesn't want to build a standie unless it's on the 24' trailer frame from a derelict trailer we have on our property, which is fine with me. He'll need to hire someone to strip it though (we're just not capable anymore).

I told him that I still want to make one on the small utility trailer. I'll make it a single person standie. Even if we never tow it anywhere, it will be good for a spare bedroom if someone wants to visit and/or we can just use it to store all the SCA stuff. He's OK with that.

In the meantime, to get used to working with this material, we decided to take a practice run by making a chicken coop and it's going to be a castle. It will have stones carved into it and have a papier-mâché shell. Crenelations will be added on top. It will have handles coming out the ends so that we can pick it up and move it around the yard. Will be nice to have a coop we will never again have to clean out! The handles will go the entire length of the thing so that they're also the roosts. We won't be putting nest boxes in it cos for some reason they like the cardboard boxes by our front door. :roll:

The bottom will be chicken wire with a skirting so that nothing can dig under it.

It took me 2 days but I managed to get a layer of papier-mâché on the corners before it started raining the other day and today I managed to get 2 windows and 2 arrow slits cut out before it started raining. Weather is supposed to clear up by tomorrow and be nice for a few days after that.

Eventually my little standie foamie will be similar. I was going to go Tudor with it but after doing the carved stones, I decided to go Gothic.

foamie castle chicken coop.jpg
foamie castle chicken coop.jpg (48.54 KiB) Viewed 1637 times

foamie stone wall.jpg
foamie stone wall.jpg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 1637 times

This is a test piece I did with the stones. Husband liked it so much he was asking for the entire coop to be done this way too. I said that I'd love to!

Update: We got all the cutting done and the roost/handles installed. Looking forward to better weather starting tomorrow.

19074043_1414145558621413_985162970_n.jpg
19074043_1414145558621413_985162970_n.jpg (132.14 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
You have to be warped to weave.
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan242 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 am

Stones look great!
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:08 am

So I'm guessing you sleep across the trailer, since you're only 5'2", and he sleeps on the lower bunk lengthwise, since he's 6'?

I like the looks of this one too! :D

It must be nice to have all that time to make all those designs! :R

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby joyofweaving » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:39 pm

mikeschn wrote:
It must be nice to have all that time to make all those designs! :R

Mike...

hahaha yes and no. Time I have...but due to disability. :( haha yeah for the 2 person version, I'd sleep the short side.

I finally came up with a design that I love and even the old man likes it. It's a single person design. Will be perfect for day-tripping SCA events or spare bedroom for visitors. It's designed to sit right on top of the 4x8 footprint of the utility trailer. Trying to keep things as simple as I can.

joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:56 am

That looks good. I'd split the door under the sink so you can open it when the bed is made! :)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:44 am

Crosswinds ??? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:27 am

GPW wrote:Crosswinds ??? :roll:

Good point. While I think it would be fine for a guest room in the backyard, I'm not sure I'd want to tow something that tall, that light, even with 500 pounds of ballast. I wonder if they drink ballast at their Medieval gatherings??? :?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby joyofweaving » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:27 am

It's 6'6" tall at the highest point. It's 5' 6" at the low end of the roof. I can drop the low end of the roof some more if I have to. Would that still be a problem with crosswinds?
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby joyofweaving » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:40 am

mikeschn wrote:That looks good. I'd split the door under the sink so you can open it when the bed is made! :)

Mike...

Argh. I didn't notice that. I'll shrink the width of the door a bit. That's where the port-a potty goes. I will definitely have to be able to access that during the middle of the night! (#oldpeopleproblems)
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:33 pm

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby joyofweaving » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:17 pm

mikeschn wrote:Look what happened to Catherine
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=973812#p973812

You're not invited to any of my parties.
:R

:lol:

Well, I guess I'll make it just to have it in the yard for a storage shed and a guest bedroom. Then strip down the 24' camper trailer (the entire front end is rotted beyond repair). Which is a big box too. I think it's a Fleetwood Wilderness. How come that never blew over? Heavier?
joyofweaving
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:55 am

If you read Catherine's post, her trailer was very light. Remember she made it out of foam. And she said the side walls were like a sail, which the cross draft caught.

You are talking about making it tall and also out of foam. So you can logically assume that a similar cross draft will also flip your trailer over.

To build out of foam, you have to have special features to combat the sail/cross draft situation.

For my foamie I chose to build only 4' high. I also keep all my weight down low, and add ballast during the trip.

Glenn, on the other hand chose to do a rounded over roof on his Foam Stream.

Another option would be to reduce the height of the side wall by building something like a compact camper.

Still another option would be to curve or angle your sidewall out, with a parting line in the middle.

So from that perspective, this design is better than your latest design... because it breaks up the sidewall...

Yet, another option is to build a popup like Rae did. Even though her's is not a foamie...
http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/wagon.htm

Hope that helps.

Mike...

joyofweaving wrote:
mikeschn wrote:Look what happened to Catherine
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=973812#p973812

You're not invited to any of my parties.
:R

:lol:

Well, I guess I'll make it just to have it in the yard for a storage shed and a guest bedroom. Then strip down the 24' camper trailer (the entire front end is rotted beyond repair). Which is a big box too. I think it's a Fleetwood Wilderness. How come that never blew over? Heavier?
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:07 am

... as per one of those drawings …. now if you could build it on a utility trailer , better a tandem , then there would be less likelyhood of trouble …The trailer being inherently HEAVY and the Foam being comparatively Light… as the sketch shows a shelf to fit over the UT sides adding width … and stability … ( it’s all a compromise ) And how about a “Mansard” roof somewhat like a squared off round roof ? … and if you look at old medieval buildings , such as churches ,Pubs , and such ,there is always a “punch out" in the back that ties in with the building …that could be the front end and streamline the whole 12th Century ... 8)

I guess we’re going to need a drawing … :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:53 am

Something similar but not exactly like this but along the same lines of trying to decrease Drag … :thinking: The more rounded roof would decrease the likelyhood of a blowover, uet still give a bit of headroom inside and be easy to make … just crumbs for thought …

Decorative elements could be simulated in Paint … rather than trying to capture every detail … ;)
Attachments
daub and battle .jpeg
daub and battle .jpeg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Nice Glen,

You cranked out that sketch pretty quick!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies