question about body flexing, and twisting

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

question about body flexing, and twisting

Postby rustytoolss » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Just wondering about if anyone has had any issues with there foamie when the trailer twists or body flexing. Just wondering if flexing has caused foam to crack. Or does the PMF keep the body rigid enough to help prevent any effects of flexing/twisting ? I have not done any PMF on the foam of my trailer as of yet. My TTT will be 6' wide x 6' tall x 9'long cabin sizes. 2" xps . And is built on a pop up frame.
Last edited by rustytoolss on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: question about Foamie and twisting

Postby lthomas987 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:08 pm

rustytoolss wrote:Just wondering about if anyone has had any issues with there foamie when the trailer twists or body flexing. Just wondering if flexing has caused foam to crack. Or does the PMF keep the body rigid enough to help prevent any effects of flexing/twisting ? I have not done any PMF on the foam of my trailer as of yet.

My trailer felt more flexible before the PMF. It stiffened up a great deal after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Re: question about body flexing, and twisting

Postby ghcoe » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:34 pm

My 5x8x4 is solid. Lots of interior support though with shelves and bulkhead.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Mine too is solid. My neighbor and I lifted the entire cab onto the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:13 pm

I wondered about the twisting aspect too, and mine is a little bigger than yours. It is pretty rigid, no signs of cracks or anything.

It is definitely worth keeping that in mind as you build though. Since mine is so big I used 3/4" ply for the floor, screwed with adhesive to the frame. And all the cabinets that are attached to the floor are fastened with many screws and "L' brackets, then the cabinets are glued and screwed into anchors in the foam. I think all the cabinets, seats and bed framing helps stiffen things up.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby rustytoolss » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Don L. wrote:I wondered about the twisting aspect too, and mine is a little bigger than yours. It is pretty rigid, no signs of cracks or anything.

It is definitely worth keeping that in mind as you build though. Since mine is so big I used 3/4" ply for the floor, screwed with adhesive to the frame. And all the cabinets that are attached to the floor are fastened with many screws and "L' brackets, then the cabinets are glued and screwed into anchors in the foam. I think all the cabinets, seats and bed framing helps stiffen things up.

I used 5/8" plywood for floor material. And have several cabinets mounted to the floor. One that extends to the ceiling. And two that are mounted to the walls and ceiling. Also will be having shelving on three walls.
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby tac422 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:21 pm

The Big Pink hasn't had any problems with Flexing or twisting.
tac422
500 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks Guys, :)
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby Don L. » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Something that helps reduce the stresses on the walls is to build the lower cabinets with 3/4" ply and the upper ones with 1/4" plywood wherever it can be worked in. Keeping it lightweight up high so there is little inertia or torque on the walls. I think that's how you would say it, makes sense I hope?
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Quote: "Keeping it lightweight up high so there is little inertia or torque on the walls. I think that's how you would say it, makes sense I hope? “ ... Acceleration is mass times speed ... less weght , less inertia ...
Our Foamie trailers are Flexible to a degree and bends rather than breaks ... Watching a British driving show , they were towing several different trailers across some ridiculously rough terrain, and the first thing to go was a plywood trailer which didn’t flex ( you could see it ) and it just collapsed under the strain , another more unibody trailer did OK ( survived ) ... We bounced the Foamstream off a curb first trip out , and there was no problem , and with low mass didn’t rebound , just came quickly back to it’s stable state on the road ... no damage , it just flexed ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Correct. Just keep in mind when you build something flexable, then add something stiff(brittle) the stiff part will either break or tear out of the flexable part. So if you add rigid stuff like wood or metal remember it either has to have enough flex to flex or enough rigidity to stay rigid in what your doing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Don L. » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 pm

I see what you mean Dancam.

FWIW, something I noticed on my standie is if you are standing next to it and push on a wall or corner, there is'nt much flex, the whole thing will rock, it's pretty stiff.
Only if you push on a section of wall with nothing behind it like a cabinet or window or ledger then you'll see some give.

I think having only 2 wheels and a hitch (3 points) of support on the frame it can't really put any torque or twist on the frame.
My camper has 4 jacks welded to the frame (old car jacks) that stabilize it when camping (or else it would tip backwards badly when unhitched). That makes 4 points of support and if I were to crank one up real high that would put some torque on the frame (which transfers to the walls) , so I try to be aware of that when I am leveling it.
I could test it by supporting the camper on 2 opposing diagonal jacks mostly, but not sure I want to stress it needlessly.
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Don L. wrote:but not sure I want to stress it needlessly.

You dont, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby wagondude » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 am

Don L. wrote:I think having only 2 wheels and a hitch (3 points) of support on the frame it can't really put any torque or twist on the frame.
My camper has 4 jacks welded to the frame (old car jacks) that stabilize it when camping (or else it would tip backwards badly when unhitched). That makes 4 points of support and if I were to crank one up real high that would put some torque on the frame (which transfers to the walls) , so I try to be aware of that when I am leveling it.
I could test it by supporting the camper on 2 opposing diagonal jacks mostly, but not sure I want to stress it needlessly.

You should not use the jacks to "level" any trailer (even production trailers). They are intended to stabilize. Levelling should be done at the wheels with the weight on the suspension to avoid stressing the frame. The misconception of levelling with the jacks is why you find so many popups with failed lifting mechanisms.
Last edited by wagondude on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Don L. » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:00 pm

You're right Bill, that's a good thing to point out.
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Foamies