Removable

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Removable

Postby greaper007 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi, I'm starting my foamie build. I was trying to figure out a way that I could build the trailer so that I could remove the foamie section and still use my utility trailer to haul mulch a few times a year. So far I've come up with the idea of either having hard points in the ceiling to lift it up or perhaps eye bolts in each of the four corners. Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
greaper007
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Removable

Postby smit0577 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I've read that a lot of people start with this idea, but give it up due to the complexity - at least compared to just renting, borrowing, or buying another bolt-together trailer for that once in a blue moon use. I think, though, there are quite a few options. I found a few on the forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67555

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12208

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61318

I'll be interested to read what other responses you get.

Scott
smit0577
Teardrop Builder

Postby edgeau » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:45 am

I have a frame that I slide in 2 bars to jack up.
More details in my build thread.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=67490

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Gator417 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Greaper,
I'm going to do the same thing with my build. I use my trailer for utility work 2-3 times a month & doubt I'll ever get to camp that often. I'm fortunate enough to be using a tilt trailer, but if you don't have a tilt its still possible. Don't make it harder than it is. Put the camper on and take it off just like you do with everything else. Slide it on and lock it down. Right now I'm planning on putting some heavy duty plastic runners on the bottom so it will slide on & off without ruining the camper bottom. I've also thought about using a couple of those little furniture dollies to roll the camper up and then pull out the dollies. Too easy. You don't necessarily need a set of jacks or a hoist to take it off.
Good luck & let us all know what you come up with.
Gator
"Aluminum skinning is to cover rotting prone crappy plywood"
linuxmanxxx
Gator417
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:33 am

Something to consider with a tilting trailer is that their axles are typically located further forward and would not be easily moved rearward without impacting the tilt feature. This can be a compromise issue that affects weight balance and towing characteristics; especially given the tendencies for TD's to be tail heavy.

My tilting "Charcoal Briquette" UT has the axle slightly ahead of center deck and is especially sensitive to sway; it is barely towable at highway speeds when empty and really only settles down when a load is placed at the far front. This might not be the case with other Mfg's versions, just saying, TD's like to have their axles set further back.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Gator417 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:29 am

KC,
Thanks for the heads-up. I think my axle is about centered, so it may be a problem. I'll see what I can do, design wise, to mitigate that. I can't live without that feature for all my other uses, so I just have to work around it.
Gator
"Aluminum skinning is to cover rotting prone crappy plywood"
linuxmanxxx
Gator417
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies