I think it's time to build another one...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: I think it's time to build another one...

Postby alchemist77 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Why a side door? Like GPWs escape vehicle it seems like the best option is the door on the back. Opening to galley, bathroom, upright storage, half bed,bench on each side.

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:55 pm

I've done many back door designs... And they work well... Here's one with both a backdoor and side doors! :lol:

Mike...

alchemist77 wrote:Why a side door? Like GPWs escape vehicle it seems like the best option is the door on the back. Opening to galley, bathroom, upright storage, half bed,bench on each side.

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Ok Mike I just thought of a big question. This new trailer is 78" by 16' and over the wheels but I'm not seeing any wheel wells in your floor plans. Are you going with the body high over the frame like the fifth wheels do it? Or is the wheels back under the seats for the table? Just a thought.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Gary,

The wheel wells will be under the cabinets. I just haven't had time to draw them in yet!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Speaking of cabinets , what do you have to store in the cabinets ? Lots of “stuff” huh? ... Might be fun to toss all that stuff on a scale ands see what the weight is ... We remember in the old Kustom Van days , sometimes the “cool" interiors we installed would put the GVW over that which was recommended for a 1/2 ton van ... and that was without you, passengers or anything else you brought along ... :o

Mike we put our cabin above the wheels , and it’s nice not to have wheel wells , but now i need a small step ladder to get in ... :roll: Next one will be different ... Lowrider .. 8) I’m still planning the next one , just acquiring materials , and looking around for that “Just right” trailer , for a decent price ... or we’ll have to add to one of the ones in the back yard ... or chop up one and weld it to the other ... Hmmm? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:00 pm

The chest of drawers will be for clothes... remember we want to live in it for 6 weeks at a time.

Everything else will be pretty much just as it is in the teardrop, pots, pans, dishes, etc...

I found a really nice chair, but it's probably too heavy. And I'd have to buy 4 chairs and a table, just to get 2 chairs... nah, I'll keep looking...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby alchemist77 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:24 pm

GPW, do you have the design specs, or drawing for the interior frames available? I would like to get a copy if possible. Thanks.

David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:32 pm

6 weeks !!! ... That’s like what we spent on Katrina evac ... so our plans are similar ( time wise) , only thing is , I have the benefit of a pickup truck with paw paw camper top on the back ( great for carrying all those extras, boat , kiddie pool, trampoline , and my gym bag of clothes ... and the wife will be bringing her car too ... so her clothes collection , shoes and extensive cosmetics will have a separate vehicle ... and need it too ... :o 6 weeks means you’ll have to make a long list of things you really don’t need ... or do like my wife does , soon as we arrive somewhere, announces ... “ I need to do some SHOPPING “ ... :frightened:
Mike , any chair for me needs to Fold ... I like those Cloud 9 recliners , but they don’t come big enough ( we'll have to shop in the Big and Tall folding recliner store )

Al, I might be able to get you the Rhino CNC files ... but it’s basically a half circle 3’ radius, with interlocking “legs" to make it the height you want ... Going over to New Orleans Guitar Co. on Thursday ( my part time consulting job) , and will root around for those files for you ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby alchemist77 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
David Campbell
KF7SFU
RaDAR
SOTA
alchemist77
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Another floor plan for more design inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWIUBrr6-k
OP827
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Very nice. There's some good ideas in there! ;)

Mike...

OP827 wrote:Another floor plan for more design inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWIUBrr6-k
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:21 pm

David , We talked to my buddy Vincent today and he has the Rhino CNC flies for the FS ribs , and would be willing to share with whoever wants them ... [email protected] contact him ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Well there ya go David, free CAD files for a foamstream.

If it's not exactly what you want you'll have to buy a cad program, and learn how to use it, and learn how to do CNC and and and... but I digress

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:17 am

Now it is possible to make “ribs” , by hand cutting with a jigsaw ... Just takes a little longer ... No reason for “lightening holes” , they didn’t save that much weight , but are handy for hooking things up like lights, cargo nets, and running wiring through to keep things neet ... which you can add later if you need it anyway .

Mike , Just an idea , why not build the empty space and actually live in it a few days ( you’re adventurous ! ) , really testing the ideas of what you need , and don’t ... I found all those RV’s were just an attempt to replicate a small home ... according to some “decorator’s idea “... who had probably spent little time ever camping in their designs . That or it was merely a copy of trailers made 75 years ago . ( according to what some old decorator thought )
You’ve got a little time huh ? Might be Fun actually working it out ( testing) what you want , rather than be influenced by previous efforts or what others want ...

Apologies , I can’t seem to think past the idea of camping ( or extended camping) in an adaptable space... we got to camp out in our “RV" trailer for a few days hurricane evec , and although it was so “cute” with the little curtains , and tables, bunks , appliances etc. But in practicality , it was hideously Uncomfortable ... The seating hurt my butt if we sat on it for more than a few minutes ( like say , while eating) , The beds were comparable to my Navy “rack” , and too short for my large frame . The kitchen looked like a home kitchen but all that space and there was only a third of the cabinet available for storage , and that was so poorly designed , it became an eyesore the more we looked at it ... and it was pretty useless as a kitchen for anything other than eggs and toast ... ( see pic) So many things I wanted to change ... :thinking:

Be great to work it all out in the backyard , then on the road you’d be much more relaxed having everything functioning as you lke it, with exactly everything you need ...
Sorta’ build the inside as you go ... You’re going to build a fairly good size trailer for all you want , start making it a home and you‘ll need a dually to tow it .... just sayin’ ... It’s all the little stuff that adds the weight ... ten little things make a BIg thing ... I have much experience at making overweight vehicles ... :duh:

And then there’s somethings you can’t get around not having , place to sleep , cooler(food) , potty ... Beds don’t really need to be elevated , cause' if you use all the storage underneath it you’d already be overweight ...unless Carefully planned for , but then there’s still the framing weight ( even with foam ) ... little things ...

As you know the FoamStream is really still wide open except for the mini-galley in the back drivers side , I’ve been tempted to build it up inside sorta like this ( * see drawing below) but hesitate until we actually get to live in it a few days ... My main goal is always to make the wife comfortable , because her idea of “camping” is going shopping in another state... :roll:

Attachments
jayco sink.jpg
jayco sink.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 371 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:34 am

Oh, and Mike ... the FoamStream ribs are straight on the bottom (legs) so can be cut off any length to make it the height wanted... The top center rib can be split and added to in between for wider ... “adaptable “ ... There’s really no way of getting nicer ribs ( and quickly too) than with a CNC machine , but we found learning programming a bit daunting for my Old brain , so chose to watch my friend do it ... :thumbsup:

Here’s a video of the rib cutting , be sure to turn the sound down , bit annoying really ... ( ear protection) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwZXeTYweE
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies