I think it's time to build another one...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: I think it's time to build another one...

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm

gizmotron wrote:So let me guess. The back swings up automatically and that's where you put the garbage?...Still, that so called "ugly trailer" looks extremely good as some kind of utilitarian form of craftsmanship. It's possibly a great example of form following function.
That's what I keep telling myself...
Oscar Wilde wrote:The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:29 pm

First pass... pretty crude, but simple enough... didn't add the typical chamfer on the table yet, but pretend it's there!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Potty next to the bed ... :o and Galley ? :shock: We vote for a separate door for potty removal directly outside ... Do you really need the booth/table thingies , that’s strictly “RV” and takes up a lot of space :roll: ... that and we were never comfortable sittng in that situation for very long ... I favor comfortable seating and a folding TV tray ... Just some thoughts ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:19 am

Looks like a good start Mike. I'd say that's 12' long more if it's a queen size bed. Only question is why is the bed on the floor instead of on a platform with storage under neath. It would be more comfortable that way.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:06 am

Gary on our trailer , the bed can be a place to sleep at night , and a rudimentary (but Comfortable) sofa by day ... a day sofa is nice for lounging, reading , crosswords, I-pad , adult coloring book ( inclement weather) ... Might as well make that bed and floor space dual purpose ... that way you only need half the space ... The open areas leave much room for “storage” ... we have everything in those plastic milk crates ... Keep them stored in the house , for quck transfer to the trailer if needed. AC too ... ( AC’s that lived outside always attracted wasps around here... grrr!!! )

Mike , Having had the standard stove top sink cabinet arrangement in our ”RV” , really convinced me that wasn’t the way to go ... so we came up with the "Mini galley" out of necessity ... which took up way less space but was also lots of storage too and an ice chest underneath .. Our “ sink “ is a common bucket , which also doubles as storage space for other things , when not used as a sink ... I have to get out my twin bucket ... two buckets in one , or as some might call a “double wide” ... ;)

And the Mini Galley cabinet goes from floor to ceiling adding reinforcement to any wall , where as the stove cab does not... as much ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:37 am

Here is a couple of 14' trailers I was playing with when I thought I was going to get a free boat trailer but the trailer deal fell though but they look close to what Mike was thinking about.
This is basicly my WW as a standy with a separate potti room.
This has a rear potti room and closet but I never liked the table in front of the bed.

Both of these would need to be a little over 6' so my question for the experienced foam people is can foam span that far and not sag or does it need inside support?

Gary
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 am

I agree with you GPW our WW bed folds up to a couch and we use home made wooden boxes for storage, designed for max use of space and easily carried inside for restocking. :thumbsup:

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:16 pm

Well, I was thinking of two different options for the bed. The first was a futon style bed, with the back the pulled up into a couch. Kinda like Gary had in his WW. The other option was a pull out section that would change the width of the bed from 30" to 60". A gaucho!

Regarding the table, I need pics Glen. How did you do it?

And for the kitchen, did you not have a stove at all?

Mike...

P.S. And just for fun, does anyone remember this?

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Here’s a fold down table ...
Attachments
DSCF0180.JPG
DSCF0180.JPG (153.77 KiB) Viewed 459 times
DSCF0179.JPG
DSCF0179.JPG (206.78 KiB) Viewed 461 times
fstable parts .JPG
fstable parts .JPG (234.66 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Last edited by GPW on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:47 pm

...and the money shot ... and pics of the bed vs sofa possibilities .. We got a bunch of outdoor furniture cushions at a really good price when Wal Mart had a clearance , we can stack them in a number of different ways , and we have lots of pillows to fill in to make it comfortable ... and versatile ...
Attachments
DSCF0011.jpg
DSCF0011.jpg (231.48 KiB) Viewed 457 times
DSCF0107x.JPG
DSCF0107x.JPG (208.44 KiB) Viewed 457 times
DSCF0112.JPG
DSCF0112.JPG (175.15 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Last edited by GPW on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Vair's build looks all the more interesting now too!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Glen,

The table and chairs look good.

But if I understand correctly, the bed has to be made up every night, and you can't use the table while the person nearest the table is sleeping?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:13 pm

That’s only the one table ... The plan is to eventually have a pull out mini galley countertop , a small corner computer desk , and a shelf in front for a flat screen TV ...
Yes , being an old Navy man , we make up our bed every day ... ;) My bed isn’t going to be like a MOTEL or Home , just a heavy a quilt with a blanket and lots of pillows thrown over those cushions ... no “fitted sheets” , sleep number , magic memory foam, or embroidered pillow cases with little Ducks on them .... It’s for “Camping" ... :roll:
And actually rather than fill the trailer from the start, we created the space and will let it Evolve as to what we really “need” ... ;) The less we add , the lighter we can keep it , the better it will tow ... and a lot of the crates, AC, etc. will be carried in the back of the pickup (topper) ...keeping the FS just floating along behind ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:24 pm

mikeschn wrote:Image

The linear actuators on that hatch could lift my whole camper off the ground to where I could (probably) walk right under it!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Letting it evolve works good. That's what I did with the last foamie I did. It's working out well. I did have a basic idea where I wanted to end up, only the details changed...

My next challenge is going to be finding a 5 x 16' trailer.

And the boss doesn't want me to start it until next year...

So knows! I like to design... So she's giving me a year to design... and design... and design! :lol:

Meanwhile I'm ready to go camping...

Mike...

GPW wrote:That’s only the one table ... The plan is to eventually have a pull out mini galley countertop , a small corner computer desk , and a shelf in front for a flat screen TV ...
Yes , being an old Navy man , we make up our bed every day ... ;) My bed isn’t going to be like a MOTEL or Home , just a heavy a quilt with a blanket and lots of pillows thrown over those cushions ... no “fitted sheets” , sleep number , magic memory foam, or embroidered pillow cases with little Ducks on them .... It’s for “Camping" ... :roll:
And actually rather than fill the trailer from the start, we created the space and will let it Evolve as to what we really “need” ... ;) The less we add , the lighter we can keep it , the better it will tow ... and a lot of the crates, AC, etc. will be carried in the back of the pickup (topper) ...keeping the FS just floating along behind ... :D
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies