I think it's time to build another one...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: I think it's time to build another one...

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 am

The 5 x 16 trailer frame will probably have to be a custom build Mike. I just got curious and did a search and the closest I could find is 6.4 by 16 and that had rails and a drop ramp. The guys on the corner could probably build you one. On second thought you might find a boat trailer close to that size. Can't wait to see what you're gona put in a trailer that size.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Hey Gary,

This is 16' long by roughly 78" wide (built out over a 5' wide trailer!)

Mike...

RAYVILLIAN wrote: Can't wait to see what you're gona put in a trailer that size.

GAry
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Ok I can see that being 16 ft long with a side door. Cool

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm

You probably already said what would be going on the curb side, but from that last model it looks like a whole bunch of space. If the door and potty together are about as wide as the galley counter, perhaps flip the potty to the near side and shorten the whole thing up a foot or two? Can probably squeeze a wardrobe in for a few hanging items like Michael/Atomic is doing with his galley pullout shelf.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:15 am

The weight is in the sum of the parts ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:25 pm

KCStudly wrote:You probably already said what would be going on the curb side, but from that last model it looks like a whole bunch of space. If the door and potty together are about as wide as the galley counter, perhaps flip the potty to the near side and shorten the whole thing up a foot or two? Can probably squeeze a wardrobe in for a few hanging items like Michael/Atomic is doing with his galley pullout shelf.

That's a good idea actually!!! So that would make the trailer about 14' long. I'll have to try that this weekend, and see what kind of room that leaves us...

I do need to leave enough room for a chest of drawers...

I wonder, if I build all the furniture out of foam...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Okay, so I moved the porta potty to the other side, and added a chest of drawers... That wasn't working out well.

So I tried re-arranging things, XL style...

That's working out a little bit better... It looks like I might have about an extra foot of length to play with... but it's kinda tight in the bathroom area. I've only got 10" between the bathroom wall and the table. :(

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 am

That’s still a lot of furniture (weight) ... :o Our potty just has a privacy curtain around it ... minimum space taken ... probably not the best solution for people with bathroom issues .. :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Seems like with all that foam, it would still be light...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:24 am

Mike , my problem is being “Large” ( 6’3”, 240# ) so places that fit “normal" people are always a bit cramped for me ... those Booths , even the RV beds we had ... never that comfortable for any length of time, tough to squeeze our large bulk into ... so our preference is for a space to stretch out ...( rather, just fit )
And on that note , why not run the cabinets. chest of drawers ( many drawers ) all the way to the top and tie it all in which would seriously reinforce the whole structure ... :thinking:

Here's some pics expressing the above ideas ... sorta’ ..
Attachments
DSCF0013.JPG
DSCF0013.JPG (142.2 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
image-4.jpg
image-4.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:36 am

Glen,

I understand your point, and I might consider some comfortable chairs rather than a booth for the kitchen. But for now this is a place holder for the chairs and table.

Definitely planning on running everything up to the roof. I haven't modeled the roof yet, so I didn't want to make the walls and cabinets too high!

So far I am liking the XL layout... but I still have 11 months to design. What am I going to do? :thinking:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:26 am

How about a 1”-1’ scale model ... ? where you can move stuff around ... Dollar Tree foam sheets works great for that and is cheap , and the paper coverings simulate the fabric skins ... hot glue to tack things together ... You can even make a scale size figure of yourself and the wife( and the dogs) to put in various positions .... in the camper... Great for visualizing where you’ll fit ... or not ... Actually seeing it in reality , even small, really puts things into perspective ... :thinking:

Ps. cereal box cardboard really is a good model substitute for plywood ... takes paint nice too ( airbrush recommended for the scale look )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:11 am

mikeschn wrote:Okay, so I moved the porta potty to the other side, and added a chest of drawers... That wasn't working out well.

So I tried re-arranging things, XL style...

That's working out a little bit better... It looks like I might have about an extra foot of length to play with... but it's kinda tight in the bathroom area. I've only got 10" between the bathroom wall and the table. :(

Mike...

Mike, I could be missing something, but if the street side chest of drawers is moved towards the bed, then would you not have enough space for table and bathroom wall? Or there is a reason you left that gap between the bed and the drawer chest?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:38 am

That whole bathroom wall business could be easily replaced by a privacy curtain adding much room to access the booth ... Maybe “potty Cozy” of some sort to disguise the unit in the "en suite" ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:18 pm

GPW wrote:That whole bathroom wall business could be easily replaced by a privacy curtain adding much room to access the booth ... Maybe “potty Cozy” of some sort to disguise the unit in the "en suite" ...

Angib's space saving idea of bathroom comes to mind if curtain(which of course will work) is not a personal preference.
Just turn it 90 degrees to adapt to this XL floor plan. That way there will be more space.
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies