And, we're off, sort of.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

And, we're off, sort of.

Postby Ceiii2000 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 pm

So I am starting a foamie hybrid toy hauler. Think converted cargo trailer only I am starting with an HF frame that I am heavily modifying. I got a dexter 2200# axle and 13 inch wheels with better tires to start. I have the trailer disassembled and am learning to weld so I can make it into a 5x10. The finished trailer should be 6wx10Lx6H. I do however have a plan for a slide out that will use the rear ramp door as the floor. All weighing in at less than 1600# with my 2013 650 Vstrom in it.

Ok so here is the first thing I would like some input on. Anybody have an idea how I can build a ramp door out of foam that will take approx. 800#? What should I laminate it with? Epoxy and fiberglass? Would PMF hold up? Maybe some kind of stack? The walls and ceiling will be 2" foam. The floor will be 1/2" plywood with 2" foam glued to it, the frame plywood and foam will all be covered with PMF. I would like the ramp door to be insulated the same amount. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Or should I just weld a steel frame and encase it in foam/laminate/canvas? I would rather not use the steel frame just for weight savings. Although some steel at the bottom may be needed to weld hinges to it.
Ceiii2000
Teardrop Inspector

Re: And, we're off, sort of.

Postby John61CT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:47 am

Totally freethinking here, experiment away!

High-density (400, 600?) 2" XPS core, great compressive PSI. Laminated to both sides insect screening for tensile, make a bonded sandwich; ideally steel, but aluminum, or even pet-proof plastic "superscreen".

Glue/paint likely epoxy, key will be those first bonding layers XPS to embed the screening.

Inspiration from the Mystery13 van tour vdo's
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: And, we're off, sort of.

Postby Gator417 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:30 am

I've been mulling over a very similar type of build for my Goldwing. The most likely scenario I've come up with is a fairly standard build, but with a door in the center rear to roll Nora in & out. Your VStrom is a lot more narrow than a GL (about 28" at the motor) so you'd have a bit more usable space on either side. Also thought about using a stand for the rear, like they use for race bikes, with built in tie-downs, so I wouldn't have to lean it over. She takes up most of my 5'w trailer when she's leaned over so she has to ride upright. My trailer is a tilt trailer, so I won't need a ramp, but my Nora is 600# so it isn't easy. I do plan on making a model of everything first. I don't want to get way in to it & find out its a no go.
Let us know what you come up with. If you're any good at Sketch up or something similar you should definitely mock it up that way first.
Good luck,
Gator
"Aluminum skinning is to cover rotting prone crappy plywood"
linuxmanxxx
Gator417
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies