Attaching walls to plywood floor base ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Attaching walls to plywood floor base ?

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Yes, Thanks Don !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:24 pm

By the way, that drip edge made a difference on my camper. Before I put it on I was getting a small leak (usually front but a little at back) from water wicking up the canvas somehow at the bottom and going under the 2x at the bottom of the wall, between the floor and the 2x, and running across the floor. Not a huge amount but certainly enough to cause problems.

Also, now that the camper is done the leak would not be easily detectable unless I pulled a drawer out and lifted the foam insulation in the storage compartments on each side , under the dinette benches.

Fortunately I was able to screw the drip edge into the 2x wooden plate at the bottom of the wall. Used adhesive and screws.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:32 pm

This is totally out of left field ... but how about pocket screws with fender washers? Using a fender washer would help distribute the load and not crush the foam. It's certainly not a structural joint, but it might securely clamp the wall to the floor while the glue dries.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:This is totally out of left field ... but how about pocket screws with fender washers? Using a fender washer would help distribute the load and not crush the foam. It's certainly not a structural joint, but it might securely clamp the wall to the floor while the glue dries.

Hi Andrew, I used some scrap pieces of 1/4 bb plywood and/or strips of soft wood, they worked fine as washers for me to do various foam glue-ups, and they can be made bigger than fender washers so that no indent is left after removing them. Below are some examples of my build's glue-ups of foam panels and curved plywood lamination to foam.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Well I got my two main wall installed today. Feel like I'm making some real progress. I used OP827's idea , using plywood strips as washers, and drywall screw to pull everything tight. I had no idea how strong GG was :shock: . And how fast I would set up. I was going to try to reposition my wall a touch ( did not think the GG would have set up yet). I could not move the wall.... in fact I could make the trailer suspension flex as I pulled straight up on the wall !!!! That is some strong glue
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:21 pm

For big glue-ups I do not use GG or TB2, but epoxy or PLP as they allow more working time.
OP827
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies