Top coating interior canvas with TB2 ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Top coating interior canvas with TB2 ?

Postby rustytoolss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

Is top coating interior canvas need ? (if so what percentage of glue to water ). What have most of you guys done after bonding your canvas to your interior surfaces ? As a note: at this point I do not plan to paint my interior walls. But may paint the interior ceiling. ghcoe said that he did not top coat his interior surfaces. And only top coated the exterior ,to prevent weather problems.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: Top coating interior canvas with TB2 ?

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am

Rusty , you can coat it with 25/75 glue/water , varnish it , prime and paint , or just paint it , or you can just leave it like it is ... Whatever You want ... Just glue the inside on , just like you did the outside ...

Hint: .... as we’ve discussed many times before , it’s easier to apply the fabric to the inside and ceiling before assembly , where the panel can be laid on a nice flat surface to work on , making things Much easier ... ;) Then glue the panels together as normal , and don’t worry, the glue to fabric joins are likely stronger than just foam to foam ... If you use enough glue ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby smit0577 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:09 pm

And sorry for digging up a flogged animal, but will gluing the canvas on the insides before the shell is built result in "cupping" of the interior walls? Every time I read about this I have to try and remember what I read in the big thread and on other build journals.

I know some folks pre-shrink the canvas. Other folks haven't done that, have glued it flat and haven't had a problem. Some folks haven't tried the flat surface cavassing..... The latest and greatest consensus is - you mileage may vary? or GO FOR IT?

Thanks
smit0577
Teardrop Builder

Postby rustytoolss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:15 pm

This was the first panel that I canvased/TB2. I did take everyone's advise, and did the interior side first, laying flat. I was very happy :D with how easy the process was. And also very happy when everything dried, and turned out great. I did not wash the HF canvas. I did remove all the stiches. I had minable shrinkage. I use a 50/50 glue to water mixture. If all the rest of my canvas work goes this good..life will be great :thumbsup:
To be honest, the whole PMF/canvas/TB2 thing had me very spooked :frightened: Building this Foamie is letting me learn new ways to do things. And that's never a bad thing. So far the worst thing I've had to do, is removing the stiches from the HF canvas :thumbdown:
As for top coating the interior canvas surfaces, I think that I will take some time to decide what I should do.. :thinking:
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Make sure you clean the foam well with alcohol and or sand. Got to get rid of the oils and dirt that may create bubbles later. :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:31 am

ghcoe wrote:Make sure you clean the foam well with alcohol and or sand. Got to get rid of the oils and dirt that may create bubbles later. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that tip :thumbsup: I did not know about using alcohol. I must have gotten lucky, no air bubbles, and everything is stuck down good. Next panel, will use alcohol
rustytoolss
500 Club

Return to Foamies