radiusing the edge of foam walls ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: radiusing the edge of foam walls ?

Postby Don L. » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:07 am

I used router bit one time and after the bit warmed up it started melting the foam which stuck to the bit, heating more foam which melted into a glob which caused not the bit to cut the foam but the spinning hot glob of foam cut (if you can call it that) to wander wherever it happened to go. :?

I used a band saw, jigsaw and table saw a lot, but it is probably more dangerous cutting foam than wood because, again the foam wanted to melt with any friction with the blade and then it would want to stick to the blade. The table saw was the most useful, but also most dangerous. end of ramble......
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Re: radiusing the edge of foam walls ?

Postby Redneck Packrat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:13 pm

I just cut mine with one of those really sharp snap-blade knives, the larger size one, extended all the way. Trimmed it to rough shape I wanted, which is easy enough to do if you don't get too aggressive or impatient, then used one of those little rasp pocket plane things to smooth it out. Makes some pink snow, which is why I'm so glad that Peter Sellers wasn't chasing a YELLOW panther. Don't need no yellow snow! :lol:

Just kinda lightly saw at it with this, and it'll slice off cleanly. It will dull, though, after about 50' of use. Still works well, just tends to snag a bit. Go slower ;)

Then I finished it off with the raspy plane thingys. A light touch is all that's needed. I've also found that holding it at a slightly oblique angle, not straight on, makes it cut much more controllably without skipping/chattering.

The rounded corner, ready for the sander:

(FWIW, after all that's done is when I fill the gaps, if any, with Alex Plus and hand-smooth it. Sander will booger up caulk.)
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Foamies