more paint questions

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

more paint questions

Postby rustytoolss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:31 am

Choosing paint for the exterior of my trailer. I want a gloss/high gloss paint for the body . Any cons with using high gloss enamel paint. Or would using 100% acrylic latex be a better plan. Ease of use is important, as is drying time and clean up.
Last edited by rustytoolss on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: more paint questions

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:11 pm

You may want to stick with the usual Latex Ext House Paint , although a good bit of “Enamels “ these days are also Latex… Just remember common house paint works fine … really Anything that wouldn’t melt the foam …
And since it doesn’t take much , you might want to get the “better” paint , for durability and ease of application …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Generally, the higher the gloss, the more imperfections will show. I'd love a high gloss but think a semi-gloss is enough more forgiving that it's a worthy compromise. As far as water or mineral spirits, I'm a late convert to latex. And disposable brushes and rollers to some degree. (I do love shellac for interior trim and wood paneling.)
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:05 pm

The water enamels dry considerably faster than latex.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:38 pm

GPW wrote:You may want to stick with the usual Latex Ext House Paint , although a good bit of “Enamels “ these days are also Latex… Just remember common house paint works fine … really Anything that wouldn’t melt the foam …
And since it doesn’t take much , you might want to get the “better” paint , for durability and ease of application …

MELT FOAM that got my attention :shock: :cry: Give me some info on what to stay away from ! :worship: How would I know what brand/ type of paint will melt foam ???? :NC
Hint :: brand ? paint name ? what ever you know that is a good choice. :thumbsup:
I was planning to buy paint and gripper real soon. There are some deals through 7-5-17
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:42 am

Rusty , All paint is 3 parts …. the Pigment , which gives it color , the Binder, which is the “glue” that holds it all together , and the Solvent , which dilutes it to a workable consistancy , and also cleans it up… The solvents in the “old days” were rather nasty chemicals that would easily melt bare foam … ( including gasoline) …
Today’s water based (Acrylic Latex) paints are pretty Foam safe ,the solvent is Water, but it never hurt to do a little “TEST” first on a piece of scrap foam …

We “Foamlings” who have no rules ,only have two “suggestions” … Test Everything First…then tell us all about it … ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies