Now, about those trailers...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Now, about those trailers...

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 am

We keep reading over and over how costly a simple trailer is and how much cost it adds to the total price of a camper build. Although it’s Nice to start with a new trailer , even the HF trailer is rather lightweight , and pretty flimsy compared to most trailers we’ve owned /used in the past . ( Note: JMHO)
What we find around here is a lot of "boat trailers" available for usually a very little money , some people even Wanting to get rid of them . And not only are they wider in a lot of cases, but they are sturdier metal ,have better axle/hubs/tires , and usually being wider provide a good base for a reasonable size camper , and better support for a Foamie camper too ! And if you haggle a little you may get an even better deal .

NOTE: This is not for everybody !!! But if you know your trailers , and are willing to do a little clean up or painting ( some are Galvanized ) , you can get a great deal on a larger trailer if you just shop around a bit. I saw a BIG tandem BT parked on the roadside the other day with a For Sale sign on it . I was tempted. Things do happen to boats , then the owners are stuck with an expensive trailer in the driveway or yard , bad for them , GOOD for us ! 8) You only have to look , “seek and ye shall find” !!!

Ps. I personally have TWO boat trailers I ( actually the wife) would like to get rid of ...for FREE . ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Now, about those trailers...

Postby lthomas987 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:38 pm

You live in a magical place! You could make a killing by loading some of your cheap boat trailers in a pile on a bigger trailer and dragging them up here. I can find tons of boats without trailers (that need them all very inexpensive) but no cheap trailers. I suppose it all depends on where you're at and what your local market looks like.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:16 am

Laura, it was more a “disaster site” ! When Katrina came through , the CoE levees failed and everything flooded , everybody lost their boat , leaving a Huge number of empty trailers . And by the time everybody got compensated by the Insurance comnpanies , they just bought all new . ;) So there were a Lot of trailers available for cheap , or better. That’s drying up now , but you can still find a good deal if you look around

*** And I dare not mention the used or wrecked trailer pile behind some boat places. Not for everybody , but if you can weld ( or have a good friend that does ) , they can be had cheap for the asking. ( They’re just trash or Cash to those guys ) All how far you want to take this Thrifty thing . However there is more “Sweat equity” involved, fine for those of us that have the time and desire . My first purchase was really Nice boat trailer ( boat yard trash pile) , the tongue was bent , but that was too long and got cut off anyway and new coupler installed in a better position for a camper. Nice trailer , normal size tires, stout fenders and running boards from steel grated material , a little heavy , but non problem … a little welding, some wirebrushing, a spit bomb paint job and new wiring , change the bearing grease , and all was good . The trailer did come with those side bars for boats , but that just got cut off . Total expense … $300 cash … for a very Nice trailer , built like Tank . You really have to be thorough when checking for thngs like this , easy to end up with an expensive restore … Proceed wisely !!! Not for everybody !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 pm

I done the same thing as you GPW. It took me a while but I found one here that a guy was using as a seadoo trailer. I stripped the paint, shortened the tongue, moved the axle back, repainted the trailer John Deere Green. Also welded up the holes that were designed into the side of the trailer for some reason or other. I went with the John Deere Green because I am going with wood on the side of the camper and doing PMF on the roof and painting it John Deere Green. I have the trailer finished except for rewiring with led lights and plan on putting some chrome and green Baby moon wheels later on in the build. I am glad I went with a boat trailer it will be a strong foundation for the rest of the build. With the boat trailer I am using it will just wide enough to fit a full size mattress inside. I have around $400 in my trailer rebuild.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:24 am

Tom , that’s Cool !!! Got any pictures , ( we love pictures here) :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:04 am

Total agreement with using boat trailers instead of a bolt together. Currently finishing a build on a watercraft trailer. I bought the trailer for 75.00, new tires and axle, 175.00, Lights, hitch and jack another 80.00. Total 320.00. Tongue is 3" X 3" tubing, rest of frame is 2" X 3" tubing. Tubing is totally welded. No Bolts
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am

I would assume that used Louisiana boat trailers––unless they're galvanized––are all rusted up???

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:38 am

Not everything rusts here … just like not every potato comes from Idaho … ( only the good ones eh ! ) ;)
Seriously , most good trailers here are Galvanized, and just turn gray …. like me.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 am

a nice feature on some BOAT TRLRS is they have an adjustable undercarriage

there will be a series of evenly spaced holes in the sides of the frame rails and the suspension is mounted to angle iron sliders that can be relocated fore n aft as needed to balance the load :)

their tubing axles are stronger than the stamped "U" channel ones found on the box store units

many of the newer BT's will have EZ-LUBE spindles which make maintenance much easier/more efficient/positive

since the vast majority of tntt members are DIY oriented i wonder why this source of components is not more popular

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Tom Horn » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 am

swoody126 wrote:a nice feature on some BOAT TRLRS is they have an adjustable undercarriage

there will be a series of evenly spaced holes in the sides of the frame rails and the suspension is mounted to angle iron sliders that can be relocated fore n aft as needed to balance the load :)

sw

Well that explains all the holes on the side of my trailer I welded up. When I bought mine the axle hangers were bolted to the bottom of the frame. I just moved the axle 8 inches back of where they had it and rebolted it back to the trailer. Thanks for the info I learned something new today.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm

“ i wonder why this source of components is not more popular “ … Good question !!! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies