fiberglass window screen vs canvas

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: fiberglass window screen vs canvas

Postby John61CT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Yes, optimum weight to strength is one consideration.

Foamie type experimentation is usually about putting emphasis on budget above nearly all else.

Window screening fabric isn't pricey, but some would say already too much extra.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ai4kk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Budget is obviously a prime consideration, but when you're towing with a 4-cylinder that officially isn't supposed to tow anything (at least not in America...other countries get the magic tow rating on the same vehicles) then weight has to be a factor as well... Which actually does come down to budget since we don't want to buy another car
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm not saying you "shouldn't" do what you like, just that this thread is about "foamie" construction and specifically comparing using window screening fabric with traditional canvas or cotton.

Fiberglass is a whole 'nother ballpark.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:20 am

There are many styles of canvas , that come in many weights . If you want to use an ultralight canvas , try a Linen (STRONG) or polyester material .
What’s wrong with using a lighter canvas ? Nothing at all !!! Most people here have been concerned with “puncture resistance" , yet nobody in these many years of foamie building has reported any punctures that we can recall . And given that information , consider that Fiberglass is not only Heavier , more expensive and more difficult to work with ( and Toxic for most people ) , but is more difficult to repair than canvas should you accidentally get a “ puncture” .
But don’t believe me , ask anybody that’s actually built one here. ;) It took years and many Foamie builds to qualify this information , so all may benefit from our experiences .

Ps. What we found is (JMHO) , most people who choose fiberglass want a smooth automotive type finish , and as some here will readily confirm , this takes a LOT of Labor to do so.
Canvas is still the best bang for the buck so far ( easiest too) … and just a personal opinion , I don’t believe those drop cloths are as good as a regular canvas material . Sure they have been used successfully , but will they stand the test of time ? And you can find all kinds of good canvas at places like Big Duck canvas, and they are always having sales …

We used 18 oz. (HEAVY) canvas on the FoamStream because we needed a reliable EVAC vehicle ( Our lives depending on it !!! ) and although more than Excessive , it’s sat outside for ~ 3 years now awaiting duty, and has only required a minimum of maintenance. Some work done as a design change . EASY !!! And as far as usual costs for camping on this level . ”CHEAP” !! :thumbsup:

Best of all … No leaks !!! Inside still dry as toast !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:42 am

And always remember the doctrine of our Leader … “ The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials… “ ;)

The skins ARE the strength of the foamie construction method !!! Why skimp there ??? We actually skimped on the foam instead using the white , beaded foam we could find locally ( and cheap), sure our walls are 3.5” thick instead of the 2” Blue foam to compensate , but the Heavy canvas really forms a nice durable shell, that Does survive being outside ( well tested now, and under our brutal summer weather conditions !!! :thumbsup: )

Something we’ve never really discussed very much is the Foamie “ CURE” time of a Foamie trailer , built with the usual simple CANVAS methods , sat out in the warm Sun, will actually shrink slightly and tighten up after a few days/weeks holding everything else firmly together . And as a benefit any “dents” usually pop right out in time … self healing !!! Ask about how our Foamie #1 even healed itself after a hail storm ( quarter size hail) :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:49 am

GPW - you're sure canvas with glue/gripper and paint is lighter than fiberglass, epoxy, and paint? All my study leads me the other way. I based it on 10 ounce canvas vs 4 or 6 ounce glass. I wont argue strength but pretty sure both are strong enough in any case.

I understood this thread is about weight and tow vehicle capability, not cost of the trailer. (Which is then nither but kevlar or carbon fibre materials. Especially good for camping in Chicago.)
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 am

QueticoBill wrote:GPW - you're sure canvas with glue/gripper and paint is lighter than fiberglass, epoxy, and paint? All my study leads me the other way. I based it on 10 ounce canvas vs 4 or 6 ounce glass.
And the glass+epoxy still needs insulation, which isn't weightless.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 am

John61CT wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:GPW - you're sure canvas with glue/gripper and paint is lighter than fiberglass, epoxy, and paint? All my study leads me the other way. I based it on 10 ounce canvas vs 4 or 6 ounce glass.
And the glass+epoxy still needs insulation, which isn't weightless.

But is that any different than the canvas? I assumed same foam core for either covering. I was just trying to quantify the difference of skins with all else being equal.

And as I've posted otherwise - I don't think skin weight - canvas, glass, screen, etc. with the suitable goop - is very significant - the difference of a 1 gallon jug in the tear being full or empty. Its true, we are not building canoes where ounces count and its only skin.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 am

I was just saying, for those thinking traditional (mold, non-foamie) plain fiberglass is lighter than foamie, need the foam whether integral or added later.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:41 pm

I only think of fiberglass here as a skin on wood or foam, not a separate shell. Like the CLC teardrop, stitch and glue boats, wood strip canoes, etc. I didn't know any builders here were building molds and laying up glass in them. Even my kevlar and epoxy canoes, not dissimilar to glass laid up in a form, have foam as integral structural components.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby ai4kk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:30 pm

As far as saving weight, sometimes a little really does count. I have to tow a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck to my house tomorrow with my Impreza. Going to unload everything I possibly can from my car tonight

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Just saying , my FoamStream is 6' wide X 13.5' long and weighs less than 1000lb. , with a homemade trailer . Tows like nothing's there with my ancient 6 cyl 2001 Silverado. Foam and canvas , Heavy 18 oz. canvas.

If you use fiberglass without meticulous surface preparation , it'll end up looking like a canvas anyway ... Your choice entirely , of course ! No rules here , just well tested suggestions ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby WizardOfOdds » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:08 pm

HomeDepot sells two products apparently intended for roof repairs:
Metacrylics 40 in. x 30 ft. Stitchbond Polyester Fabric(~$23) Model # P1 Internet #204719647
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Metacrylics-40-in-x-30-ft-Stitchbond-Polyester-Fabric-1-Square-Roll-P1/204719647

and Coverage White Fiberglass Mineral-Surfaced Cap Roll Roofing (3x36 ft ~$37)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-ft-x-36-ft-100-sq-ft-Coverage-White-Fiberglass-Mineral-Surfaced-Cap-Roll-Roofing-24-008006/100405889

Model # 24/008006 Internet #100405889 Store SKU #864269 Store SO SKU #864269

Is anyone familiar with either of these, and does anyone have comments on their value for TnTTT uses?
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Not interested in second but would livecto see someone experiment with switchbond and epixy .... or some adhesive. Who knows .
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby ai4kk » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:19 am

I just used some of the roll roofing to patch part of my roof on my house... Way too heavy and not strong enough for camper use

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies