fiberglass window screen vs canvas

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: fiberglass window screen vs canvas

Postby ai4kk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

Hoping to start on my trailer soon, I have the trailer frame and shopping for the wood for the frame of the box itself. Building the camper box out of 1"x1" Hickory with 1/8" or 1/4" Cedar veneer over that (light, strong, aromatic, and help keep the bugs out when in storage), 1 inch foam over that, and then either fiberglass window screen or canvas over that. The kitchen box for definitely be built out of the lightest stuff possible because we have to be able to pick that up and carry it if we want to set up the kitchen somewhere else or even just to take the mattress out

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby me&z » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

Plastic tool boxes. The larger power tool size.

Manageable size, lightweight, handles, stackable, pre-made, and can be inexpensive (ours were <$5 after Menard's rebate). We use 2 and that is sufficient for our weekend trips: one for kitchen gear and the other for "consumables" - paper products, salt/pepper, and food that doesn't need to be refrigerated. If my nesting pots would fit I'd use a 3rd one but the box is too small by about 3/4 of an inch.

I keep meaning to construct some dividers but honestly each box is small enough, and has a tray that it really doesn't seem to be worth the effort. The boxes have been our ""temporary" solution for 5 years. There are only 2 of us, so this might not work for a longer trip or more people.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Yes I think a custom chuckbox that works well in place but is also removable would be a perfect foamGripperScreen test project.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ai4kk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:47 pm

The sketchup design is too big to upload here, but I have an album of various views at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10209422631782518.1073741872.1226588532&type=1&l=444e17bc84
The area above the kitchen box is actually covered by swinging doors that form a backsplash when using the kitchen from the inside and swing out to prop the tailgate up when it is open, giving you access to anything kept hanging on them
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:54 pm

From my experience with the sawfish kayak, a foamie kayak covered with PMF.
On a 12 foot kayak the paint, TBII and fabric add up to almost 10 lbs, out of a 23 or so lb kayak.
One builder recently built a sawfish kayak and her finished weight, with minimal wood added from what I can see, is almost 75 lbs!
The difference being that I use thick cotton bed sheets on my kayaks, and she used canvas.
Her local waters are rock and tree infested, and she didn't believe me about the strength of the bed sheets.

Personally I wouldn't expect any kind of window screen to stick as well, especially using gripper instead of TBII.
My biggest concern would be that metal screening would want to expand and contract with heat/cold, while foam barely reacts to either extreme.

I prefer TBII to gripper for the heat repair potential of TBII.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby ai4kk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:11 pm

I think I go with fiberglass instead of metal for weight purposes. Does it have a choice about sticking if it's totally saturated? Of course I'd perforate the surface of the foam all over to give the glue or paint something to seep into.
I may be building a couple of those kayaks too. Have taken my girlfriend's kids out and they've fallen in love with paddling.
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 am

Due to the thickness of fiberglass, you may not save as much weight as you might expect.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 am

I believe confusion here, not talking about using traditional fiberglass+epoxy construction.

Topic is "foamie" construction, using window screening fabric rather than canvas or cotton fabric.

Window screening is available made from aluminum or fiberglass.

I would bet most fiberglass screen fabric is lighter than aluminum, but doubt if the total savings would be significant.

---
The possibility of temperature changes causing problems with aluminum screening is interesting.

Personally I think a non issue, given inherent flexibility of the other materials.

Never heard of big porch screens getting movement problems from winter conditions.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 am

Looking for strengths of screens. Found this - a vinyl and polyester screen that by some measurement is twice as strong as fiberglass screen. http://www.wholesalescreensandglass.com ... creen.html Lots of screen data at this site.

Want pure strength? They also have stainless steel screen.Cool. Who knew besides Floridians with "sun rooms".
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby ai4kk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:56 am

I'm not wondering so much if it's lighter than aluminum, I'd be curious to know how much lighter is it than canvas... Not just it's own weight, but does it hold less glue or paint? Of course many have used linen with good results too.
The design I'm building is rather large and will be holding a king size bed; it will be pulled by either a Subaru Impreza or Kia Soul so I am definitely looking at weight as one of the bigger challenges. To that end, I'm also using backpacking gear as much as possible for cooking, shopping for the smallest AC I can find for it, and will be looking at weights of various mattresses. Cooking on a daily basis with propane, I've learned that I only need one bottle as the one I'm using at my house right now has lasted over a month on a two burner camp stove... I may even forgo that and just stick with one pound bottles and refill them at home.
Yes, I've been looking at the picolight as well. Someday I may build a new frame for this one based on the picolight frame and using thinwall chromoly tubular steel
Last edited by ai4kk on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ai4kk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:57 am

Also, some of the best advice I've heard regarding screens on Florida rooms is to slash them when a hurricane comes your way so you don't lose the entire room, frame and all

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:02 pm

I have formed the opinion that whether you use 10 ounce canvas, bed sheets, linen, woven fiberglass, or window screen, the weight of the goop used to hold it in place and coat it is about equal to the weight of the material. The fiberglass matting seems to be an exception perhaps, but I see no good reason to use it on a teardrop (doesn't mean there isn't a good reason). If just comparing weights, I don't think you'll find a significant difference when compared to the total weight of the trailer.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:07 pm

And a given fabric type "holding" **less** of the paint/adhesive I would not think of as an advantage, wrt strength longevity and waterproofing.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ai4kk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Which goes back to the question of how strong is strong enough? What gives the best strength to weight ratio?
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:01 pm

John61CT wrote:And a given fabric type "holding" **less** of the paint/adhesive I would not think of as an advantage, wrt strength longevity and waterproofing.

Perhaps but a 4 ounce fibreglass fabric with epoxy like used on canoes offers a lot of strength and watertightness at a very light weight. Thats only 7-8 pounds on my design of 140 sq ft.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies