Putting the Wife in the trailer … a Power question...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Putting the Wife in the trailer … a Power question...

Postby ghcoe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:11 pm

I would recommend the small HF generator too. It is small, light, efficient and fairly quiet. Mine has been a snap to start every time I have needed it. Oh, and it is reasonably priced. You can run it during the day to power the A/C and charge your batteries, use the batteries at night to run you lights. 5 Gallons of gas should keep you happy for a couple of days. :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:29 am

George , I’m kinda’ thinking along those lines too … I did have a talk with the CFO last night and she pretty much said to get what we need … ( Honda or whatever) :roll: But the HF is affordable , and can be more easily replaced , just in case.

And Thanks to everyone here , we’re also going to get a small ish' solar setup , maybe 2 or 3 100 Watt panels, a decent charge controller and a couple DD batteries ( in a cart) , inverter , wires , etc. ( something I can manage ) . Since all this will be gotten for “what if” , I need to keep up the maintenance without becoming excessive , since likely it will be stored away most of the year . But we never know eh ? It would be reassuring to have two sources in times of no power .
… and "Her Grace" is already looking at the smallest of dorm fridges … They are very reasonable , almost seasonally expendable . more than able to keep "the Royal Grape" properly chilled . :wine:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:41 am

Get the HF version of the inverter generators. Same as Honda and considerably cheaper. Get larger one or 2 of the small ones and get the tandem cable and you can run anything you want. I'm not sure if in tandem you can stagger fueling times and it stay up on one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:31 pm

truckfridge.com/truckfridge-models sells both built-in and chest style portable ac/dc fridge freezers. They can save a considerable amount of power compared to an AC powered Dorm Fridge run off a battery and an inverter.

A step up in features, quality and price would be one of the Dometic CoolFreeze ac/dc portable chest style fridge/freezers.

I'm leaning toward buying either a Dometic CFX-40US or a larger capacity Dometic CFX-50US.

Here's a video demonstrating the Australian versions

For your solar power system I suggest using a mppt charge controller like one of the Victron Blue Solar mppt charge controllers. They'll harvest (up to ~30%) more power from a solar panel(s) than a less expensive pwm controller can do.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Gettin Started » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 pm

If space permits, a small chest freezer converted into a fridge using a thermostat like this https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58 is very efficient. I have a 260W panel and two 6v golf cart batteries and can run it for a few days off batteries alone or forever with a few hours of sun each day. Just be sure to size an inverter to handle peak load at startup. I had a 800W inverter that would trip often...upgraded to 1200W, no problems.
Gettin Started
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:10 am

Now we know this is a Crazy idea … for camping/EVAC we can just drive somewhere where there is AC available …but camping at home ( no power) that’s where we need all the electrical generation . :?

After more detailed discussion, my Dear Wife has actually suggested (again) she would be OK in the Foamstream , as long as the AC worked ! She also commented that the generator noise wouldn’t bother her at all , and she found it “comforting” … :o However , getting the AC working is going to be the trick .. We still are unsure of the AC requirements , and although we want a “portable" Generator , we don’t want to get one that’s too small for the job ... :thinking: My AC only says 4.5 Amps on the serial plate ( Frigidare 5K btu -Wal Mart) Nowhere can I find the startup current ..
As we’ve understood ( or not ) , a generator should not be run at maximum for very long ..and may not deliver the actual rated wattage ( the cheaper models) .

Compared to that , Solar seems easy .. couple panels , couple batteries , an inverter ( Free Hydrogen fuel , when available )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:52 am

GPW wrote:Now we know this is a Crazy idea … for camping/EVAC we can just drive somewhere where there is AC available …but camping at home ( no power) that’s where we need all the electrical generation . :?

After more detailed discussion, my Dear Wife has actually suggested (again) she would be OK in the Foamstream , as long as the AC worked ! She also commented that the generator noise wouldn’t bother her at all , and she found it “comforting” … :o However , getting the AC working is going to be the trick .. We still are unsure of the AC requirements , and although we want a “portable" Generator , we don’t want to get one that’s too small for the job ... :thinking: My AC only says 4.5 Amps on the serial plate ( Frigidare 5K btu -Wal Mart) Nowhere can I find the startup current ..
As we’ve understood ( or not ) , a generator should not be run at maximum for very long ..and may not deliver the actual rated wattage ( the cheaper models) .

Compared to that , Solar seems easy .. couple panels , couple batteries , an inverter ( Free Hydrogen fuel , when available )
Startup in the 5k is around 1k for compressor kicking on. 2k to 3k would run everything. The harbor freight generators that are inverter based like the Honda can be single or tandem and very quiet compared to normal gennys and massively cheaper than the Honda ones. Microwaves pull a lot of juice so beware that and your overall load.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:44 am

Oh Cool , Thanks Steve … :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:22 pm

GPW wrote:Now we know this is a Crazy idea … for camping/EVAC we can just drive somewhere where there is AC available …but camping at home ( no power) that’s where we need all the electrical generation . :?

I've run my frigidaire on my 1K honda, so 2K will be fine for that, and it will be enough to make a pot of coffee in the am ( Personally I think the link I sent you for the 3.8K with electric start and dual fuel would be perfect, though probably louder than the honda.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:20 pm

https://m.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-s ... 20provided

699 and quiet. Smaller 2k version is 499.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 am

I’d get a bigger unit , but now I’ve gotten old now and can’t the lift weights we used to … so the smaller (2K ) units seem more reasonable to handle …
Last storm came through , my neighbor loaned me a big one ( with the wheels/cart) , but I had to get help to load it in the truck . And it would be easier to use the smaller one with the trailer , when needed . :thinking:

Since the primary use of the generator will be running the AC ( 5K btu, Frigidare ) in the FoamStream , it will likely see limited use …and must be stored away till needed. It’s funny , because you’d think the best thing to do is to just wait till we need one , then go buy it , but as always the way , when we really NEED one , the shelves are empty, so we are forced ( by the wife) to commit at some point.

We found some inexpensive 100 watt solar panels at Home Depot ( ~ $100.00 ) Which is pretty cheap @ a dollar a watt …Thinking two or three of those , a good controller (^) , and a couple DD batteries on a cart . I could handle that . Again , used on a temporary basis , it would all be stored away in the dark , so wouldn’t be subject to normal aging … ( like me )
Thinking that for around the price of the Honda 2K we could get both setups with a little careful shopping.
I’m not knocking the high end generators at all. Although the Royal Bank will pay out whatever’s needed , I really can’t see getting something twice as expensive as something that would do , especially in the hope that we will never really need it . I’ve had Honda powered lawn mowers ( and small Honda motorcycles) , and they do last and work fine . I still have a lawnmower in the shed , the motor still runs and very usable , the deck rotted away … :roll: Good motors ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 am

Well ,we pushed the button on the HF 2000 generator … So we’ll get to test it out …

Now we’ll have to visit HD and check out their inexpensive 100 watt solar panels … more testing to ensure some kind of power will be available ..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 am

GPW:

Did you leave? It looks like Harvey is working east...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Tony, Thanks !! We appreciate your concern , but we’re staying , we live where the Indians lived ( +22’ASL, high ground for here ) , so less worries … Just went to the store today and stocked up … again… Likely we’ll just get a lot of rain , no worries eh , it’s rained almost Every day so far this summer … and that’s fairly normal :rainy:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 am

GPW, be safe. I'd love to know what you think of the Predator 2000 after using. I'm thinking about getting one as it does have some pretty solid reviews. My little HF 800 works fine, is light weight, but it is noisy and limited on what it can do.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies