Putting the Wife in the trailer … a Power question...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Putting the Wife in the trailer … a Power question...

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Dave , it’s supposed to be here Saturday … We'll take it from there , see what we have to do as far as break in and oil .. :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Talks at breakfast this morning confirmed I was good to also get a small Solar system .. Thinking two Grape 100watt panels ( HD ), a solar controller (?) and a little wagon with a couple DD batteries , and a proper inverter for a few things that run off AC … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Anybody doing a small solar setup .. ???
Attachments
watts .rtf
(70.08 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:46 pm

This just popped up for sale on Amazon,
Its got a 150Watt battery, a 100 watt inverter USB and 12V outlets, and can be charged by car, house or solar
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3S00H0/re ... 7def688c_S
Its intended to run CPAPS.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:49 pm

I have a small solar panel from harbor freight, 16watt briefcase, plus controller. I can also put the 80watt Zamp on it. Both are sufficient for my modest system of just 2 led lights plus USB chargers. My house battery is 35aH pipsqueak.

If I want the air conditioner, I have to get a generator or other shore power.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:55 pm

GPW wrote:Talks at breakfast this morning confirmed I was good to also get a small Solar system .. Thinking two Grape 100watt panels ( HD ), a solar controller (?) and a little wagon with a couple DD batteries , and a proper inverter for a few things that run off AC … :thinking:

You can also look at the portable "power pack/jump starter" things they sell these days. They have built in batteries, and many of them come with USB charging ports and inverters already built in and in a nice package that you can carry around.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:37 am

Up until now we’ve used the traditional Lead/acid batteries , designated as deep discharge , like car batteries , and we have to periodically check on them / float charge to maintain . Hoping for an easier to maintain technology , but Not Lithium … We’ve had two Lithium batteries explode and burn while charging … True , No Fun !!! 10 seconds in Hell ... ( instincts say , run away !!! )
Since this will be primarily for the House ( home use ) I wanted a cart ( little red wagon -ish’ ) to place the batteries on , to move them out of the way when not in use . Also thinking of a rack on each side of the “wagon” to hold the solar panels when not in use .. a “Power cart” ... :thinking:
Just trying to make it easy on myself ( gotten old now ) … and besides H.R.H. , Ruler of the little kingdom , the unspent , breaker of budgets , and the Mother of Dollars is paying for it … :lol: “ For the night is Dark and filled with Trailers “ …

Ps. After hanging around here for so long now , we have developed a tendency to put wheels on everything … !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 am

Best Game of Thrones reference ever! :lol:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:27 am

GPW wrote:Up until now we’ve used the traditional Lead/acid batteries , designated as deep discharge , like car batteries , and we have to periodically check on them / float charge to maintain . Hoping for an easier to maintain technology , but Not Lithium … We’ve had two Lithium batteries explode and burn while charging … True , No Fun !!! 10 seconds in Hell ... ( instincts say , run away !!! )
Since this will be primarily for the House ( home use ) I wanted a cart ( little red wagon -ish’ ) to place the batteries on , to move them out of the way when not in use . Also thinking of a rack on each side of the “wagon” to hold the solar panels when not in use .. a “Power cart” ... :thinking:
Just trying to make it easy on myself ( gotten old now ) … and besides H.R.H. , Ruler of the little kingdom , the unspent , breaker of budgets , and the Mother of Dollars is paying for it … :lol: “ For the night is Dark and filled with Trailers “ …

Ps. After hanging around here for so long now , we have developed a tendency to put wheels on everything … !!! 8)

I hear you! I like the all in one units, but I'd want to be able to add batteries. Then you would have the best of both worlds, it should be light enough to toss in the car or trailer if you have to bug out, but it could go on the wagon and reduce the nest of cables that you would other wise need.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:22 am

Guys , This Solar power is a lot more complex than first appears , and the more you want to do with it , the more complex it becomes . But your ideas certainly help put it all into context . We’ll be checking out those power packs for sure as a side source …( extra portable power ) 8) The basis behind all this is to have several eggs in the "power basket" . Small ,portable eggs . :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:26 am

You know I just realized how this will require another Trailer … "The Power trailer" … OK, schmaybe’ more a “wagon” ... :roll: Still has wheels , so it’s gotta’ be Good eh !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:07 am

GPW,
For you I would recommend something like a "solar power generator". Companies like goal zero make some, but IMO they are really expensive for what they provide. A lot of folks have gone to making their own. Get a tool box, and put in a smallish solar charge controller like this one.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MU0WMGT/ ... HLLR8733US
Its a best seller on amazon.
add a few USB charging ports and cigarette lighter ports like these
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Pick up a small inverter sized to power what you need. 250W will power a small LED TV and a laptop at the same time
Then stick in a small lead acid battery like this
https://smile.amazon.com/ExpertPower-EX ... le+battery

add a couple of terminals to attach alligator clips that are 12V + and - and now you have a portable solar generator. Put that in a wagon of batteries and you can attach the additional batteries to the terminals.

However keep in mind that a single 100W solar panel will provide enough power to charge about 50Ah worth of power ( 100Ah battery @50%)
and that solar charge controller can handle 20A, so 2 or 3 panels depending on the load.

The little black thing I pointed you to has most of this built in, but only has a 2A charge controller, so even though they show a 100W solar panel it probably only needs about 50watts to keep it charged.
Here's a nice little write up on a DIY solar generator
https://survivalistprepper.net/how-to-b ... generator/
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Tom , Thanks !!! Great Stuff !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:26 am

Well, the HF 2000i Generator arrived .. opened the box , read the book …all good so far ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:00 am

I think you will be happy with that unit. :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies