A foam project- Screen and Mastic! New Pics 4/28

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A foam project- Screen and Mastic! New Pics 3/13

Postby John61CT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 am

Yes I learned long ago to keep an editor open that is not reliant on anything internet.

Copy and paste between, anything more involved than a couple sentences.

Or at least Select All + Copy every couple minutes
John61CT
500 Club

Postby Nodrog » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:45 am

I'll try a little blurb...The roof is a strange piece of work...I made the glue lam rafters with 6 layers, they are about rigid enough to stand on, so the sides won't bow out. There is not much of a compound curve, when I tested bending foam panels to that curvature, they were very resistant to bowing the other direction. So I drew it as a series of straight lines when viewed from the side, from rafter to rafter, it looked like there would be a maximum of arc <1", so I just said ok, that's close enough! otherwise I would have to kerf and bend it in the 2 directions. It's already crazy enough, because each panel had to be custom fitted. Geometry. Try a strip of cardboard. Bend it a little, then tip it slightly toward a wall...oops, gotta take a little off from the middle tapering to the edges. The other side of the strip- more off the ends than the middle. Good thing it's foam, easy to rasp. Then I glued the fabric to the inside, just a layer of muslin. Tied string to keep it bowed a little while I glued it to rafters. I used little tabs of plywood screwed to rafters to line up.

The screen/mastic was applied after assembly, the screen laid on nicely with not a wrinkle or bump. I think the thing will be strong enough....we don't get much snowload! ok...posting, Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nodrog » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 am

There, that worked ok, forgot to say, the reason I made that side to side curve in the top was to make it look less tall at the sides. With good headroom in the middle. Still looks pretty tall from the back- maybe the whole thing looks pretty strange...I might not be the Da Vinci of trailer design! Van Gogh? Dali? ok, good night...Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nodrog » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:45 am

Hi fellow trailer lovers! Got a few pics I took the other day, trailer is coming along. Doing lots of small things now...but here is the little kitchen area, the counter top is 1/4 ply, it needs some poly coats....you can see the center drawer guides, I saw this on an old Shasta, works really well and only needs a face frame and something in back to attach the guides. Take the drawers out and the whole space is air...no partitions. Note that part of the support for the top is 3/4 x 3/4 sticks. I was going to break a scrap and had to put it on the ground and kick it good, guess it will be strong enough! These are the 1/8 ply drawers, will get a pic of one tomorrow? Light and strong enough, looks like. Click pics to enbiggen.

I just glued the 1 1/2 strips on the fronts, they cover the cracks between drawers and frames. Everything will get paint, so goodbye pretty cedar strips!!!

The space at the end is for a pair of 6 gallon water jugs, fresh and gray. The counter top has space for a small sink and a 2 burner stove. This area is for making coffee, heating other simple things. We will barbecue burgers or something, mostly, for dinner. I am thinking of putting ceramic fiber, maybe 1/2 inch behind aluminum or something for a backsplash. Something real heat resistant. The fiber is cheap on ebay and will stop a lot! of heat. Like you could put your plumber torch on it without heating the foam on the back side.....anyway....will be a trailer soon...... I hope!! Later, Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A foam project- Screen and Mastic! New Pics 4/28

Postby KCStudly » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:23 pm

Nice work. I kind of like the hopscotch color (light and dark random) of the cedar. Surprised to hear you say you are painting over it.

Either way, it is looking very nice.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: A foam project- Screen and Mastic! New Pics 4/28

Postby Nodrog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:42 am

Howdyhowdy-Thanks KC, a compliment is always welcome! Paint? Well so much of the interior is fabric over foam with odd sticks of wood here and there I think it'll look best with mostly paint. For example, the drawer fronts are fabric and glue, the fabric laps over the sides and bottom to stiffen and strengthen the 1/8 ply, so the centers of the drawer fronts need paint anyway. But the countertop and probably the dinette bench fronts will be clear wood finish. Probably put a 1/8 top piece on the table.....it should be varathane, too I think.
I am getting ready to be done building and out using this contraption! Need to make a list of remaining items to finish, some bigger little things than others...lights, box for batteries, propane tank mount etc etc....working off a list is a good way to get organized!
All for now.....Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Foamies