nothing here

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A foam project

Postby John61CT » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Yes that sounds like a great technique.

I'm always pushing the limits on the weight-bearing issue, I want the shell and floor/chassis to be as light as possible, but still have good load-bearing support.

With thicker walls then thicker support ply could be inserted, I'd probably use a rotozip type router for cutting the groove.

For load-bearing "posts" to support a heavy roof rack and/or solar panels up top, aluminum flat or T profile could be embedded the same way

https://www.onlinemetals.com/prodimg/ex ... 63-T52.JPG

angle profile at the corners. . .

Sorry OT, just thinking out loud
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:56 am

gone
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:26 pm

nuthing
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Nodrog wrote:Really. Just about done defending my choice of coverings, like I said, I will know by, say, 2023 if it works long term. Duh.

Here's a fun thing- the trailer has a little bathroom enclosure in the back corner, with a flush toilet. I found a 17 gal holding tank that is narrow and 6 inches deep. It mounts @ a foot behind the axle. My drawings show that it will not hit bottom unless the back end of the trailer is dragging on the ground.

Hope you mananage to get it on the road soon? When is a realistic date you may be able to camp with this?
If the mastic ends up like stiff leather i think it will be perfect as long as whatever you coat it with never gets punctured or lets water in.

I put a water tank behind my axle as well. Mine also will never hit before the back of the trailer but my tank is about an inch lower than the axle. So if there is something in the middle of the road it will hit the water tank before my axle unfortunatly. However i think the water tank has the same ground clearance as the tow vehicle, so it should be ok. Ill have to measure though.
Is that a problem for you?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:18 pm

delete
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Nodrog wrote:Hey Dancam- good to hear from you! Trailer is coming along, I've spent a lot of time on the tiny bathroom area..the tank is what we affectionately call the "poop tank" but it is pretty much for night time dewatering. So, it is tapered and the curb side is lower. Should have still 6-7 inches of ground clearance, with the 12" wheels. And I can remember which side is lower if it will help with a bump....? I put the tank dump end on the side where I have a sewer cleanout in the yard on that side when the trailer is backed in, did I mention that? We don't need a lot of clearance, we won't be far off road. She says so. Gotta say, my dear wife is loving the project, we are getting excited, think it will be a pretty sweet little unit!
Hoping to get trailer ready by summer, good enough to use, maybe not quite finished...going to have a kitchen side with sink, 2 burner stove- mostly for coffee and heating simple stuff...drawers... all done paint grade except 1/4 birch countertop finished with varathane.

The mastic seems to be pretty water resistant, a dried piece from inside the lid was in a puddle of rain water on top of a bucket for a couple of months outside, and is just like the part on the trailer....leathery, didn't melt or anything! I think the covering method is very good because no part of it will rot...and is on foam that is pretty impermeable, too!

Have you been able to get anything done on your project or is it colder than (pick a word) there?

Time for me to get out there.....Later all, Gordon

Great! I dont plan to go too far offroad either, but its happened to me a couple times over the years where i crest a hill and there is a dead porcupine in the middle of the road, or a dead deer, or a blown apart tire, or whatever and i chose to drive over it rather than swerve.
Id rather not be picking quills out of my tank!
Ok! For some reason i thought the mastic was water soluable if it got wet, its sounding better all the time!
Too cold to work on the trailer here now, im supposed to finish the tow vehicle by the end of the month so i have 2 months to finish the trailer. Not gonna happen though, getting parts from korea for my car has been problematic. Have to leave june 4th by the latest on our 30,000km cross canada trip. I hope to be able to do one test drive first but i dunno... keep running into problems. All the complicated stuff is left on my trailer, lol.... Feeling a little discouraged but coming back on this site and reading got me a little more motivated just now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

gone
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 am

null
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Re: A foam project- Screen and Mastic! New Pics 3/13

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:21 am

Good Luck Nodrog , take plenty pictures !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Your innovative build is looking great! :thumbsup:
Do you mind telling how did you build the curved roof and what materials you used?
I apologise in advance if I missed this topic in your journal here.
OP827
Donating Member

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:02 am

nothing here
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 am

“ but I know it will dent easier than epoxy/glass … “ Having had the Misery of owning a commercial trailer with fiberglass sides , They weren’t thick like a FG boat .. and they wouldn’t heal themselves in the Sun like PMF does … Just speaking from experience of things punching holes in trailers … something yet to happen with either of the Foamies we built , or anybody else ( we asked, remember, no troubles )
‘Drog , just enjoy yourself , half the Fun is in the building … You’re doing GREAT !!! 8) :thumbsup:

(The pic) . a rotten limb falling from a tree punched 10 holes in the “RV” roof …RV Dealer cost to repair … $5000.00 ( best not ask about this, grrrr !!! ) :o
Attachments
roof.jpg
roof.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Nodrog wrote:...we had a little discussion already in October.. Nodrog
- thanks for revisiting the topic. The rafters to foam alignment would be difficult with this compound curve, I guess you screwed some ply wood pieces to align them for glueup?
Nodrog wrote:
I - May- still try to put in some longitudinal strips for support, I would just point the ends and cram them into the foam at the end. But I will wait for the extra ceiling support til I get the thing out in a while and can push a little on the top to test a little more...
- If you'll have shelves from back to front built as one structural piece, they will act as structural beam and add needed rigidity and support to the roof, but with your already compound curvature, there could be already enough rigidity to prevent the side walls from bowing out from roof loading. Did you cover the interior of roof with two layers of screen and mastic, how and when did you do that, in place?

Nodrog wrote: Did you see a couple of posts ago I figure the outer skin weighs @75 pounds? I weighed pieces I cut out of the side for fridge vents, compared that to bare foam. Pretty light, but I know it will dent easier than epoxy/glass. It's just a cheap and pretty easy covering. I'll try not to beat it a lot. Well, past my bedtime.....Later, Nodrog
- One layer of 6oz fiberglass will dent quite easily. I am considering adding another 6oz layer to the roof for protection, while I do fiberglass repair. Will decide when it gets warmer.
OP827
Donating Member

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:04 am

not here
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 am

Nodrog wrote:Aargh! Good grief- I spent a while writing a long post, got timed out and the whole thing got disappeared. Good night, will try a shorter one next time....Nodrog

This happened to me quite a lot before I started using an external word editor program. Then I found when it does happen, try hitting the 'back' button.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies