nothing here

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A foam project

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:58 am

Nod , one of the wonderful things we all discovered is, there are many ways of building a Foamie trailer … and we haven’t limited ourselves by any Rules … That’s what makes it Fun , and we all learn from each others experiences …

Thanks for your contribution ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Found product datasheet and supplier of this mastic in Canada - http://hstrial-peppertreeairsol.homestead.com/dp1030tsb.pdf
Comes in gray and white colors.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby amandacreiglow » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:27 am

OP827 wrote:Found product datasheet and supplier of this mastic in Canada - http://hstrial-peppertreeairsol.homestead.com/dp1030tsb.pdf
Comes in gray and white colors.

It's also available on amazon for $20 usd per 1/2 gallon bucket, if that's cheaper if easier for you. Not sure how that translates to amazon.ca, but here's the link for the us version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085UZBE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_c-d7zb860QSP4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

nothing

Postby Nodrog » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:31 am

null
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Nodrog wrote:Hey all- OP,that's the stuff I used. The link you gave, says it's made in California. On HD website, I search mastic, click on Hvac, then they call it "speedi products" mastic. They have 1/2 and 1 gallon buckets. Says it is latex, also 36 hr cure time. I had gray, turns darker when dry. I didn't give it full cure time between coats or anything. When the weather was a little warmer and not raining, it sanded cleaner the next day, cooler and a little rain, gummed the 100# abrasive a little.
Amanda has found the same stuff on amazon. But OP, why the interest in this strange stuff when you have such a fantastic build going, (and it looks awesome!!) all covered with the premium glass/epoxy?
I know they use something like this on canvas covered canoes. Mastic should work very nicely to fill canvas covered trailers. If I was going to cover with canvas I would be sure to iron the stuff first.
I put 2 coats of grippper on my exterior, and am now turning to the inside. Have started my bench tops, mostly foam with reinforcing 1/4 ply ribs. I will try doing 1/8 on top and bottom. I'll take some pics, but can only post them if I try it out and my butt doesn't fall through, otherwise I'll try again!! Trying to build 2 42" benches and tops with a target of 12# each.
Later, gators....Nodrog

Nodrog, thanks for compliments. Yes, I used epoxy and glass. I am still interested in looking at other options of materials for foam panels.
I tried using 1/8" Baltic or Russian birch ply for panels with foam and it works great, they are very strong. I would recommend using PLP glue for sandwich panels, not TB2, because PLP has much longer working time, which is important for large surface glue-up. I used large tubes and a trowel to spread PLP. Note that PLP does not eat XPS or EPS foam. Other PU PL kinds glue could eat the foam, so make sure to read PDS. Just sharing my experience.
OP827
Donating Member

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:17 am

nuthin
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby seanc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Your project is coming along great! I'm always interested in big builds and new materials. Thanks for pushing the boundaries. :thumbsup:
seanc
Teardrop Advisor

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 pm

not thing
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Nodrog wrote:...
Hey OP, You are talking about PL premium, right? *But what is PU?* I have just tried PLP for the first time a couple of weeks ago, great stuff. Glued foam to foam, and what really impressed me was foam to aluminum! When I glue my dinette benches in, the bottom is on aluminum and sides glue to the foam walls. Didn't try it before, I shop more at Lowes which is closer than HD and doesn't carry the stuff. Foam panels? I am sure thin ply is more rigid than screen/mastic, except that for exterior work I think the ply would really like a coating, fiberglass or PMF, adding more weight. But interior panels with ply could just be painted. Have I mentioned that I like paint? I have some interior partitions to build, a small closet, a batroom enclosure. Those I might do thin ply one side and muslin on the other. or just all muslin a la TB2. That's really light. Several ways to nirvana, I guess.

It sure is fun to work on the little camping trailers, isn't it? We also look forward to using it!! Oh yeah! We have so many places even lots that are pretty darn close to see! Thanks all for your views and comments! Yours Truly, Nodrog

Hey Nodrog, Yes it is PL Premium, PU stands for Polyurethane, PLP and PL400 glues are PU based. Gorilla glue is also PU based, but I did not use it yet. I decided on PLP, was using large tubes for large foam to ply panels glue up, pretty economical comparing to other glues, probably one of the cheapest glues but with very good outcome. PLP will adhere to aluminum quite well, perhaps like nothing else. It sticks to much more things than other glues. I am happy with PLP so far, it replaced epoxy in many places in my build now. Yes, you are right, if you apply plywood to outside, then it should be protected with fiberglass or canvas cover so it does not delaminate with time. Polyester resin could be used with fiberglass on plywood as well since EPS or XPS foam is then protected from melting by the plywood layer.
I also need to do some more light structures and folding [foam] panels inside, that is why I am still looking for light and easy covering alternatives. It IS fan working on little camping trailers, I completely agree.
Cheers, OP.
OP827
Donating Member

nothing here

Postby Nodrog » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:23 am

not a thing
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:59 am

Old sheets work Great inside :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

nothing

Postby Nodrog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:12 am

no more
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

nothing

Postby Nodrog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:45 am

nil
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 am

:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

nothing

Postby Nodrog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:44 pm

zero
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies