A foam project- Screen and Mastic! New Pics 4/28

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A foam project

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Checked your Library pics … that finish looks Good eh !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Hey one more time...Thanks GPW, I was just looking around and found some stuff on here I had'nt seen before...apparently ghcoe had looked at Childers lagging compound several years ago, and Amanda used some of that on her Itty Bitty Foamy. That must be similar to the Speedi products mastic I used on my trailer, it's from Home Depot. Anyway, there have been probably some other posts about mastic or lagging compound on the forum, the technique is not totally original to myself, but maybe mine is the first done with window screen and mastic...I liked the screen because it is strong, the mastic goes all the way through, it hung super flat on the sides without any wrinkles. I put it on with a squeegee, and that made it really smooth to start with! And if it is pretty dry, it will sand. I used a palm sander with 100#. Lightly. This forum is great, by the way, so many great ideas!!! Later, folks...Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:35 am

Oh Yeah!! If it works for you , that's very COOL … Yet another alternative … :thumbsup:

We remember way back when Rosey used lagging compound on her Foamie Boat … And took her Dad Fishing !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:52 pm

GPW wrote:Oh Yeah!! If it works for you , that's very COOL … Yet another alternative …

We remember way back when Rosey used lagging compound on her Foamie Boat … And took her Dad Fishing !!! 8)
Sorry for the long break! Been back lurking for a bit, the lagging compound ended up cracking. Don't think I'd use it again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Whoo Who, Rosey is back!!! :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Hey....taking a little break, see we have new posts! Very interesting, Rosie, about your boat. I think my process is different with the screen. I dont know anything about the Childers, the mastic ( I spose that is about the same as lagging compound ) is fiber reinforced. Maybe it will hold up. I don't think I'd put such a thick goopy coating on canvas, believe it is used with fiberglass mesh by the hvac people. I don't think I can do anything but report back in a few years....Nodrog PS what happened to the little trailer you were working on, saw pics you posted...?
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:45 am

Rosey , So very Glad to hear from you !!! 8) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Helloooo! I am still pretty sure the mastic I used will hold up, done last summer it is still pliable to an extent, like a somewhat hard leather. But- I have enough $ in this thing now, if I have a problem, will just re-cover it with something else. Overall, the exterior coating is has been the fastest and cheapest part of the project! Really. Just about done defending my choice of coverings, like I said, I will know by, say, 2023 if it works long term. Duh.
Here's a fun thing- the trailer has a little bathroom enclosure in the back corner, with a flush toilet. I found a 17 gal holding tank that is narrow and 6 inches deep. It mounts @ a foot behind the axle. My drawings show that it will not hit bottom unless the back end of the trailer is dragging on the ground.
I am putting a 7 gal tank for flush water on the floor just beside the fender well, just in front of the toilet area. This is all pretty much for night use, but will be nice to empty through an rv hose. We have a cleanout, sewer access just a few feet from where the trailer will be parked. Pics still to come, I have a lot of time in making custom brackets for hanging the tank, building a (foam, mostly) angled door, etc. Pics will have 1/2 ton of junk and tools, probably.
So, if there's any interest I will post some pics, but outside of the strange covering, it's just a funny little camping trailer!
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

We LOVE the pictures !!! :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 pm

I will follow along with this build. I really like the covering that you are doing. It is cleaner than the traditional canvas PMF and appears to hide seams better. Maybe some day I will start my build and follow suit.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Nodrog » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:47 am

hellooo! I haven't worked on trailer for a couple of days, too many other things to do. I will take some pictures eventually....I'll just post some random thoughts anyway, I know that any trailer in progress has at least a few followers. What the heck, it IS really in progress! To GPW, thanks for always a comment, I feel like you are always watching over us all! To DaddyJeep...hope you get going more on your project, looks very interesting! And others working or dreaming, greetings as well!
One thing I know, it might be just as well to cover a trailer with thin ply and light canvas if weight saving is a goal, I know for sure that painted or glued fabric, even the light cotton I am using on the inside, sticks like he** to the wood. May be just a little lighter to cover with the screen and mastic that I used. Don't know how much weight I saved, of course there is not much for framing in the nearly pure foamy approach I am using, so that is lightening right there...
The seams, as you mentioned, DaddyJeep, are pretty much not evident, where I wrapped the corners I used mastic to fair the edges out. The thickness of the 2 layers of screen is also not very much, though I am confident of the strength.
One thing I have found, as discussed in the thread "problems with Foamies" is that the bits of wood I used around window openings and at the back for tail light mounting telegraph through, I think due to humidity causing the plywood to swell. Damp weather here in PNW. I do not know what else a person might use- thought of aluminum sheet, would hold screws, but would certainly expand with heat, how much for small pieces or long thin strips??
Nuts, there are too many different aspects of this all that could be experimented with! Ahhhhh, goodnight.......zzzzzzzzzzzz
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:02 am

8020 style aluminum profile is very adaptable and high strength vs weight.

Airline seat track, L-track fixed to internal supports for very heavy-duty weight bearing.

Best as always to have the intended fittings /locations spec'd out precisely, if not actually already fab'd in advance.

Or put in generic hanging rails and fixing points all round for future flexibility.
John61CT
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:14 am

“ I feel like you are always watching over us all ! “ Nodrog , I sorta’ feel responsible for everybody and just want everyone to have a SAFE, happy and successful TTTrailer build. Being retired we have a little more time to dedicate to Trailer building … and discussing.

"Best as always to have the intended fittings /locations spec'd out precisely, if not actually already fab'd in advance. Or put in generic hanging rails and fixing points all round for future flexibility. “ Good planning is always Appreciated… especially on a Foamie eh ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:01 am

Good Evening- Thanks also John61CT foryour reply. I am just talking about thin plywood I embedded in the foam for mounting windows, lights, etc. Remember, this trailer is nearly all foam, no part of the walls is intended to be really able to bear any concentrated load. But the ply telegraphs through the skin now on the exterior, I think because of the high humidity of the North West rainy season. And I am building in a temporary garage, with rain water running in underneath. No climate control! Telegraph, like shows the outline instead of being really smooth like before I skinned the trailer. I guess this is a minor annoyance, but I was just wondering if some little pieces, say, of .050 Al sheet would have worked under the skin....don't know, but I think I will do an experiment after the fact....geez, the silly hours I keep...Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 am

On my #2 build I needed a hard points to mount the surface mount door than I purchased for the trailer. The window was a clamp mount which holds the window in place simply by having a outside flange around the window perimeter and a inside ring. By screwing the ring to the backside of the window it just clamps the window in place to the wall, no wood needed. I found only one door that was a clamp mount style. Unfortunately, it was a small sized door and cost the same as the larger surface mount door. So I chose the surface mount door.

Then I had to come up with a way to mount it to the wall. Not wanting to install wood per usual knowing the expansion issue I decided to try a new method. Sorry I have no pictures so I will have to describe what I did.

I used my soldering gun with the normal soldering tip and a piece of scrap 1 3/4" flashing I had laying around. I used the flashing as a straight edge and I used the soldering gun to cut a 2" deep 1/4" wide groove into the side wall. I stopped the cuts just past where the radius started for the corners. Then I cut some 3/16" hardboard into 1 3/4" wide strips. I cut the strips to the length of the grooves and then slid the hardboard strips into the grooves. I cut the strips 1 3/4" so that I could fill the grooves back up with caulk and seal the hardboard into the wall. Now I was able to screw the door and the inside trim ring to this embedded hardboard and there was no wood to telegraph through the canvas. I have to say it worked out better than expected. I did have to buy longer screws though. You can see me using the soldering gun at this point in this video https://youtu.be/IOTRwcs6oT4?t=1m55s .

Good luck, George.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies