A Solar Traveler … A really BIG Foamie idea ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

A Solar Traveler … A really BIG Foamie idea ...

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Here’s an idea for a Bigger Foamie , something that could be pretty easily constructed over a minimum framework ( wood or PVC ) and still be LIGHT enough to be Fun to tow , and provide a larger space and not be a burden ( <2000lbs.) :thinking:
Lots of room for different window and door placements , and you could even have the galley in the back , right next to the internal power supply ( Solar Batteries/inverter ) … After all we have to keep the “ballast" cold in the evenings eh !!! :thumbsup:
Solar panels on the roof could be set up/tilted several ways , or lie flat for traveling … That could provide a Lot of power for the evenings with a couple DD or GC batteries for energy storage …

The Bigger Foamie trailer , the better the Engineering required , and the necessity for more careful craftsmanship … ;)

Basically it's a BIG Zephyr ( mentioned elsewhere) , but the much simplified framing style ( boat ) would be appropriate for both . JMHO …

Warning : This is Just an IDEA … No reason to PANIC … (as yet? ) :roll:

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: A Solar Traveler … A really BIG Foamie idea ...

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:28 pm

I posted recently asking for roof design ideas for load bearing, and **lots** of solar was one of the motivations.

That steep curve to me loses not only headroom, but panel mounting space.

Now, no reason for a roof to necessarily be 100% flat and level, but I would want at least 75% of the floorspace square footage to be panels up top, sacrificing no more than 25% for streamlining, ventilation etc
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Has a star trek look to it. But the flat back will make it harder to tow at higher speeds. How about rounding the back (keep the fins for the cool look) and using a roll-up style (pickup Tonneau?) with Velcro seals galley cover. You could reduce the wood needed to support the doors and be lighter. You could more the solar panel to the front. Build them in with removable pins in the four corners and a ( 2 box wine bags air bag ?) jack in the center of the panel to tilt the panel (bunges to hold the panel down when tilted). Just my thoughts.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby amandacreiglow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 pm

How big are you thinking? Solar gets real heavy real quick... a 250-watt panel is something like 50 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 pm

amandacreiglow wrote:How big are you thinking? Solar gets real heavy real quick... a 250-watt panel is something like 50 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 140 watt is 33 pounds and is 58.31 X 26.22 X 1.38
https://www.solarblvd.com/products/sola ... lar-panel/
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:44 pm

John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:55 pm

One could use semi-flexible solar panels all over the roof and it could work nicely! Nice curves :thumbsup:
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xsemi-flexible.TRS0&_nkw=semi+flexible+solar+panel&_sacat=0

The panels are much ligher (~5lbs for 100W) and more efficient
Power: 100W Weight: 2.4KG
Voltage: 18V Size: 1050X540x2.5Mm
UPC: 6903942719556 Material: Monocrystalline
Last edited by OP827 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:52 am

“ But the flat back will make it harder to tow at higher speeds. “ Actually at our age we don’t do any high speed towing ( seriously, the wife says the only time I ever pass anybody , is because they’re broken down on the side of the road :lol: ) … and we based the back on those 18 wheelers with the rear flaps on the back which is supposed to help with drag. :thinking: But mostly because it makes a nice overhang in the back . keeps the weather off the rear doors , keeps me dry in our rainy climate :rainy:

"How big are you thinking? “ ... Thinking ~ 200 watts . That should be plenty for my Spartan needs …schmaybe’ :thinking: . We’re still experimenting with solar , first on a small solar cart for the house . (200 watts)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 am

Please remember these drawings are just ideas to encourage more Thinking about how we choose to roll down the road . more ideas = more better … ;)
Although many of us have chosen to build "a traditional Box” type camper , sometimes I think of a trailer as looking more like a Star Trek shuttle or a fine Italian sports vehicle . 8) ... or something more pragmatically , in between .
The "bottom line “ , is always , what do we need inside … ? How much can we comfortably tow ? How much more Independent will that make us ? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 am

GPW,

I really like that design! :thumbsup: I'd love to see someone give this try. :worship:

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 am

Tom , I was thinking we could get more usable floor space by dropping the nose line straight down from the furthest front point … About 4’ X 7 or 8 feet , that’s a lot of floorspace lost , almost as much as a small TD trailer … :o
The idea was since it's so big , and would require a wood frame inside ( we’ve done that ;) ) , and the curves were very slight instead of very rounded , that it would be pretty easy to make without a lot of exotic operations or specialized tools .
And naturally the inside components would be designed to support and enhance the overall structure , while serving need of wall , shelf , or cabinet … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm

One could go straight down on the front. But with the sides set in a couple inches. So you would still have the look. Also One could have a short wall inside the front and hatches on the outside front for your tongue box. Making the front usable.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 am

Good idea Ken !!! We were particularly impressed by your Camper , and the gazillion miles you guys travelled with it 8) :thumbsup:

Honestly , if we had a big enough building , I’d be churning out all kinds of Foamies left and right … :D I think the Fun for me is building them . Halfway through the build , I’m thinking about the next one . :thinking: This is obviously one ( a “thinker” ) , just a bigger simpler Zephyr , although the smaller Zep’ might be a more pragmatic choice ( garage-able). Never enough , “ the night is dark and filled with trailers” . :lol:

The ammended drawing … Thanks Ken !!!
Attachments
Solar Traveler .png
Solar Traveler .png (301.56 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:16 am

I was thinking that the tongue box would be built in(not a add on). with doors in the roof panel and the side wall inset to keep the nice bottom curve look on the outside(making it look like it is resting on a stop block in front). It would keep the cool look of the design. :thumbsup:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AzAv8r » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 am

Wrt the panels:
Because of both the weight and thickness of the rigid solar panels, I've been planning on using the flexible panels, deflexified: They'll be mounted on a thin sheet of aluminum (0.025 5052 alloy?). Instead of being 1.5 to 2" thick, they'll be less than 1/2" (excepting the little junction box on the end.) The sheet will still allow pivoting for the sun. And, I can curve that sheet before mounting to match the curve of the trailer, maintaining the profile.

(Mounting the flexible sheet on a separate panel also means if the panel fails, I don't risk damaging the trailer peeling off the adhesive. And it improves cooling of the panel, and prevents direct conduction of the heat from the panel into the interior of the trailer.)
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Foamies