SIP Question - remove foam skinning before gluing???

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

SIP Question - remove foam skinning before gluing???

Postby kevindford » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Howdy foam experts-

A trillion Q's before starting my build- this one is about skinned insulated panels.

If I'm going to use a vacuum bag system to glue extruded polystyrene or polyisocyanurate insulation to plywood products, do I peel the paper or plastic off of the insulation material before gluing?

And, as long as I've got you- pros/cons of XPS vs Polyiso for a slot & tab teardrop construction?

Thank you all very much for your input!
kevindford
Teardrop Builder

Location: Las Vegas, NV & All parts southwest and intermountain west

Re: SIP Question - remove foam skinning before gluing???

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:44 am

I would, otherwise it'll just peel apart!!!

Mike...

kevindford wrote:If I'm going to use a vacuum bag system to glue extruded polystyrene or polyisocyanurate insulation to plywood products, do I peel the paper or plastic off of the insulation material before gluing?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Iso is more brittle (crumbly) and gives off Poisinous fumes when heated … It’s a light yellowish color , crushes easily ( test a sample first ) …. we avoid it …. JMHO
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby nemoskull » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:29 pm

r5 one inch blue insulattion sands well with a 120 grit on a belt sander.
just keep moving and dont tilt the sander or it will dig in.
to be fair, i have a lot of time on a belt sander (glass shop and cabinet shop.)
the belt sander works better than by hand. cant speak for a mouse sander.
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:30 pm

kevindford wrote:If I'm going to use a vacuum bag system to glue extruded polystyrene or polyisocyanurate insulation to plywood products, do I peel the paper or plastic off of the insulation material before gluing?

I used R-tech from Home Depot when I made mine. I don't remember peeling anything off when I glued it up but its been 9 years now since I built them. And BTW, vacuum bagging is the *best* way to make walls (IMHO).

Vacuum bagging linky

I used polyisocyanurate in the roof, with the foil facing out. It's great stuff as the roof stays very cool in the full sun, with the foil reflecting infrared heat back out. I would have used it in the walls but I couldn't find any in 1-1/2" at the time.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby kevindford » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 pm

bdosborn wrote:

I used R-tech from Home Depot when I made mine. I don't remember peeling anything off when I glued it up but its been 9 years now since I built them. And BTW, vacuum bagging is the *best* way to make walls (IMHO).

Vacuum bagging linky

I used polyisocyanurate in the roof, with the foil facing out. It's great stuff as the roof stays very cool in the full sun, with the foil reflecting infrared heat back out. I would have used it in the walls but I couldn't find any in 1-1/2" at the time.

Good info- thanks. Also looked through your blog- good stuff.

Bruce
kevindford
Teardrop Builder

Location: Las Vegas, NV & All parts southwest and intermountain west

Return to Foamies