Problems with Foamies ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Problems with Foamies ...

Postby bonnie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 pm

eaglesdare wrote:
bonnie wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:Bonnie took your first foamie off the frame?
:wine:

Yup. Complete floor-ectomy. I stuck a thumb through the old one. Flipped it on it's top and put a new all foam floor on it. Picture shows it all glued down. :) I have it back on the frame. Working on the doors now. I got three windows put in.

On edit. I also added 18" to the frame and the cabin. It now has a smallish galley. Still working on that too.

p.s. I am without a tow vehicle. Makes camping really difficult. :oops:

You did a foam floor? So you took the wood floor off? Sorry I know I sound dumb, but I was never the technical one. :lol: Not sure how to get it off the frame, I think we have it screwed on and gorilla glued down also. I honestly can not remember how we did that. Oh well its up to the hubs now. :wine:

Cut it off with a saw. It was actually hard work. Sum of parts were tough. I actually replaced the old frame and used it (the old frame) to add the extra length. I paid a pro welder for the work. Worth every cent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 am

Much Bigger Now !!! :o Gosh, this just proves how easy it is to add or subtract from a foamie camper … ( I guess next we'll be doing Pop outs … ) Very Cool Bonnie !!! 8) :thumbsup:
And from what we remember of Eagle's build ( it was the very First here) , there wasn’t much wood anyway , so it should be relatively Easy to replace , with maybe something better … :thinking: From the little I’ve needed to do , it’s pretty easy to make changes ex post facto … and everything else is already done. :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:09 am

And a little better view of Bonnie’s new Galley add on … 8)
Attachments
bonnie .jpg
bonnie .jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:19 am

I went back inthe archives about Eagle’s build , and it was another Photobucket disaster ….no pics ... GRRRR !!! ( those bas****s ) :x
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:38 am

GPW wrote:I went back inthe archives about Eagle’s build , and it was another Photobucket disaster ….no pics ... GRRRR !!! ( those bas****s ) :x

OMG WTH is with Photobucket? :x
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby nagnificent » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:05 pm

eaglesdare wrote:
bonnie wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:Bonnie took your first foamie off the frame?
:wine:

Yup. Complete floor-ectomy. I stuck a thumb through the old one. Flipped it on it's top and put a new all foam floor on it. Picture shows it all glued down. :) I have it back on the frame. Working on the doors now. I got three windows put in.

On edit. I also added 18" to the frame and the cabin. It now has a smallish galley. Still working on that too.

p.s. I am without a tow vehicle. Makes camping really difficult. :oops:

You did a foam floor? So you took the wood floor off? Sorry I know I sound dumb, but I was never the technical one. Not sure how to get it off the frame, I think we have it screwed on and gorilla glued down also. I honestly can not remember how we did that. Oh well its up to the hubs now. :wine:
Hi guys, hope u r having a great day. I also am curious about an all foam floor. I have been trying to figure out if that would be possible for me. How did you do it? Also, with the wood and foam, I know the woods necessary to keep from crushing against the chassis on the floor, but what about areas like the door handles, locks and windows, etc. I hope I don't sound dumb either. But to ask is to learn. Thank u for your patience.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
nagnificent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 am

Nag, Guys … The other day at the Guitar company , I saw a foam sheet that was High density and likely suitable for flooring or other things … We'll try to find a name and supplier … It’s so dense you can drill and machine it … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby nagnificent » Thu May 03, 2018 12:55 am

GPW wrote:Nag, Guys … The other day at the Guitar company , I saw a foam sheet that was High density and likely suitable for flooring or other things … We'll try to find a name and supplier … It’s so dense you can drill and machine it … :thinking:
Yeaaassss GPW, that would be awesome. Thank you.

nagnificent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat May 05, 2018 7:36 am

Nag , I got a reply …. It was some high density foam he got from a friend who worked at NASA Michoud … so I guess unless you know a Rocket scientist , we’ll have to remove this option from the table … :duh:

Guess there’s still PVC “lumber“ to investigate... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby nagnificent » Sat May 05, 2018 2:00 pm

GPW wrote:Nag , I got a reply …. It was some high density foam he got from a friend who worked at NASA Michoud … so I guess unless you know a Rocket scientist , we’ll have to remove this option from the table … :duh:

Guess there’s still PVC “lumber“ to investigate... :thinking:
Ty for inquiring, but rocket scientist stuff is out of the question. Lol. Now pvc stuff heh?

nagnificent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat May 05, 2018 2:15 pm

And then he sent this … “
Kirk of Kirk’s mudboats in Boute uses this black closed cell high density foam that he gets from advanced composites,….once glassed over, tough as nails “ ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Sat May 05, 2018 2:52 pm

http://www.thermalfoams.com/foam-contro ... struction/ Thinking of this for my next project. They will cut to any size and thickness. I can buy all kinds of adhesives from them. It is very strong stuff.
Attachments
geofoam.jpg
geofoam.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Goos… That looks Good !! :thumbsup: …. we’ve seen some Heavier foams before … they were much tougher than the Box store foam …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby nagnificent » Thu May 10, 2018 1:21 am

GPW wrote:Goos… That looks Good !! …. we’ve seen some Heavier foams before … they were much tougher than the Box store foam …
Wow, thank u. That foam does look awesome. I'm gonna have to check it out some more, tough and ultra light is the coolest. Lol

nagnificent
Teardrop Inspector

Postby camperRN » Thu May 10, 2018 6:39 pm

All these foamies and no one has had there trailer blow apart on the highway? No ones doors have fallen off? How can this be? (a little sarcasm there) I am about 75% done with my build (ended up using a lot more foam than I thought). My MIL who workes in the RV industry and thus "knows" everything there is to know about any type of RV seems certian that my trailer will blow apart the first time I get it on the highway. She has been helpful in sourcing some cheap off the shelf parts but I'm not sure its worth her "knowlege". Its great to hear that so many have done so well with their foam trailers. I promise to update my progress soon.
Camper RN
camperRN
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies