A Few Foam Sourcing Questions

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

A Few Foam Sourcing Questions

Postby equant » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi, I'm in Tucson Arizona and looking for a place to get foam for my trailer build. So far, all I can find is 1" XPS (Foamular) at Home Depot (nothing at Lowes). I'd like to find 2" (and 1/2") foam as well. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Also, is this (XPS) the right foam to be using as a wall (with PMF)? Are there any other options for foam boards that can be used successfully?

Thanks!
equant
Teardrop Inspector

Re: A Few Foam Sourcing Questions

Postby me&z » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I'm just a lurker, so hopefully someone with actual foamie building experience will come along.

There is a sticky about types of foam (short by foamie standards). http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=48389

XPS is what you want. The lack of availability in some parts of the country has been discussed. I think someone suggested calling around to contractors to see if you could buy from them. Don't remember anyone reporting success with this method.

Others have mentioned that the big box stores might order for you, but often only if you buy an entire pallet and pay shipping. I found a few insulation recycling places (Craigslist - materials) that occasionally have the 2" XPS foam. But I'm in the mid-west and all of the big box stores stock multiple styles of XPS.

I think someone used 2 sheets of 1". But, iirc, that was to get a radius. And two 1" sheets will cost more that one 2" sheet.

That's all I can offer in the way of information. But keep asking questions. Foamies are usually friendly. :o And they love :pictures:
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:22 pm

My understanding is that XPS is a bit hard to find in the southern part of the nation. Just not used much since it does not get as cold there.

I do believe someone here did build a teardrop with 1" xps and had good results. Maybe someone here will support this.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 pm

Same problem up here in the valley too. I haven't found anything other than the 1" at Depot and my Lowes has 2"X8"X1". Look for contractor supply places that sell insulation/roofing or concrete supplies. Probably your best bet.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:12 am

Check with the manufacturers and see who their dealers are … We found an Interior deorating supply place here that not only had the 2” XPS , but was CHEAPER than Home Despot or Loew’s … :o ( and we didn’t have to buy any quantity )

It may not get COLD in the South , but it sure gets HOT !!! Foam works for that too... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:16 am

GPW wrote: It may not get COLD in the South , but it sure gets HOT !!! Foam works for that too... :thumbsup:
True, but they usually use Polyisocyanurate foam in the hot regions.

Now that someone mentioned concrete layers it stirred a idea. XPS is used a lot in stucco construction. Stucco contractors can make all kinds of different shapes with XPS and then they tack chicken wire to it and then stucco. I know that it is a pretty common construction technique so there should be a contractor or two in the area. Might check with them to see if they would sell you some. :thinking:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Foam is required under concrete slabs and flat membrane roofing, both commercial applications.
Try sign companies. foam is used with cnc machines to make large forms for advertising displays. :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:40 am

JMHO ...The Polyiso is the LAST thing we’d want to use on a trailer .. see health hazards and FIRE … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyisocyanurate
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby equant » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:16 am

Thank you for all of the useful replies. I will probably start with the 1" foam for some experiments. I will follow up with the results of attempts to locate other sizes locally.
equant
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:29 am

I called a few more building supplies in PHX and didn't find anything. I hope you have better luck.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 am

GPW wrote:JMHO ...The Polyiso is the LAST thing we’d want to use on a trailer .. see health hazards and FIRE … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyisocyanurate

With all due respect, I'm not disagreeing about it being the last thing touse, but poly iso is much less flammable than XPS or EPS and is not nearly as certain to be a carcinogen as XPS and EPS, plus its manufacturing is less harmful to the environment than XPS and EPS. I have no problem with XPS and EPS and am planning on using them but not because of fire and health. Poly iso is the only foam that is allowed to be used for home insulation in some applications without covering it for fire protection. (I'm not saying it should be - only saying it is.)

I just don't feel it makes as good of stressed skin panel structurally as XPS or EPS does, but that may be because I haven't built with it or seen it used in panels. You might be able to get it without foil and find adhesives every bit as good as adhesives on XPS or EPS.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to Foamies