Mudflaps on foamies

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Mudflaps on foamies

Postby dancam » Tue May 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Does everyone put the tires under the trailer? Or do some stick them out like me and then have to do fenders and mudflaps?
I have run into a problem. I used plastic fenders with 3 bolts into wood and 2 into the foam. Not the strongest but just fine for being a fender. I realized i needed a set of mudflaps however to keep the canvass from getting torn up. I took a tape measure and figured 6inches long would be good. Cut up some mudflaps and clamped them on and realized that it wasnt going to help much. I would need mudflaps that go almost to the ground and the wind resistance from that would tear the bolts holding the mudflaps to the fenders through the soft fender plastic im sure and probably deform the fender a lot at highway speed and put stress on the bolts holding it to the wooden frame.

So what do you guys do for mudflaps, does the side of your foamie get torn up when you drive on gravel?

Any suggestions for my trailer? Thanks.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Re: Mudflaps on foamies

Postby working on it » Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 am

dancam wrote:Does everyone put the tires under the trailer? Or do some stick them out like me and then have to do fenders and mudflaps?
I have run into a problem. I used plastic fenders with 3 bolts into wood and 2 into the foam. Not the strongest but just fine for being a fender. I realized i needed a set of mudflaps however to keep the canvass from getting torn up. I took a tape measure and figured 6inches long would be good. Cut up some mudflaps and clamped them on and realized that it wasnt going to help much. I would need mudflaps that go almost to the ground and the wind resistance from that would tear the bolts holding the mudflaps to the fenders through the soft fender plastic im sure and probably deform the fender a lot at highway speed and put stress on the bolts holding it to the wooden frame.

So what do you guys do for mudflaps, does the side of your foamie get torn up when you drive on gravel?...ImageImage
  • Though my trailer is of plywood, and my tires are 90% covered by large fenders, I chose to fabricate (i.e. redneck-engineered from scrap material) mudflaps to not only protect my trailer sides, but also to keep from spraying following vehicles on the highways.
  • My fenders were bought for use with skinny bias ply tires, and were welded to the frame with the tires centered under them. Then, when I installed a new 3500 lb axle with brakes, the tires were no longer centered underneath the fenders, but moved to the outside edge, but still wholly covered). However, when I installed new, wider, LT tires, they stuck out about 1.5".
  • Lots of vehicles use inadequate fenders, or none at all, and spray water, mud, gravel from the tires onto other vehicles. Some states prohibit this, some just don't enforce it, but I consider it a breach of "road etiquette" (lots of 4-wheel drive vehicles, and especially lifted trucks do this), and decided to extend my fenders with leftover materials, and to add mudflaps, also.
  • 147401 added conveyor belt mudflaps
  • 147402 then added matching conveyor belt material to cover the wrinkles on the extensions
  • My fenders are very thick stamped steel, so attaching both flaps and extensions was done with #10 bolts...no backing plate required; but, if I had installed them on a plastic fender, then I would've used a fairly large plate of aluminum inside the fender, to spread-out the stress loading. The aluminum strip shown in the last photo was needed to extend past the fenders, otherwise there is no bracing.
  • As to further side-wall protection (not necessary on my trailer, so far), I might recommend using diamond plate aluminum (if it gets dinged up, you could easily replace it, if screwed/bolted on), or 3M paint protective film. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/N=5002385+8709313+8710654+8710859+8711017+8711731+8716713+8720073+8720123+3292322927&rt=rud
  • 3M protective film.JPG
    3M protective film.JPG (67.33 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
    I have this on my 165k mile HHR Panel's rear fenders; it still looks good
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 am

I assume my Jeep would fit in that category Working On IT.... don't worry, I don't drive it on the road.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Can you bolt a length of angle iron under the floor, preferably to the frame, to take the load off of the fenders?
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Wed May 02, 2018 9:51 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:I assume my Jeep would fit in that category Working On IT.... don't worry, I don't drive it on the road.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Can you bolt a length of angle iron under the floor, preferably to the frame, to take the load off of the fenders?
All is forgiven, then. And...dancam, have you considered using a shelf bracket, laid flat, and bolted to the trailer frame or body, on one leg, and to the plastic fender on the other leg. It would easily hold a mudflap, and also stabilize the fender. Just find one to fit your dimensions, or get one and alter it. Some are very strong, powder-coated against the weather, and very affordable. Just be sure to get a "No Step" sign to put there (ask me how I know).
shelf bracket as a fender-mudflap support & brace.jpg
shelf bracket as a fender-mudflap support & brace.jpg (99.24 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
no step.png
no step.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dancam » Fri May 04, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the ideas guys! Sorry i didnt reply earlier, its been lots of late nights working on this. I have some plans from your ideas, planning to pick up metal today and install new mudflaps saterday. I will post photos when i do it.
Shelf bracket was my first idea but i really dont like screwing things to my wooden frame, its only 2x2 and i would hate to have it split. Also it wouldnt look so nice and that top half of our trailer has to lift up, any more weight makes that heavier to lift...
Cant weld under the trailer because foam and my water tank is right in the way but i have a plan to bolt a bracket to the frame. Hope it works :/
Thanks again! I really appreciate it. Really have to push hard now to get this ready for camping may long weekend...

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sun May 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Here is what i did. I didnt take good enough photos though. Hope you can see what i did well enough. I couldnt weld to the frame because of the pmf and my water tank but i bolted them to the old spring hanger (i moved the axle) and they shouldnt move.
Thanks so much for the ideas guys!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sun May 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Very nice! Looks as if the "foamie factory" installed it.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon May 07, 2018 11:47 am

dancam wrote:Thanks so much for the ideas guys!

That is why we are here... to share ideas and learn from each other. Looks good. :thumbsup:
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 pm

working on it wrote:Very nice! Looks as if the "foamie factory" installed it.
DaddyJeep wrote:
dancam wrote:Thanks so much for the ideas guys!

That is why we are here... to share ideas and learn from each other. Looks good.
Thanks guys!

dancam
500 Club

Return to Foamies