Let’s Heat bend Foam … Please !!! No more kerfing ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Let’s Heat bend Foam … Please !!! No more kerfing ...

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:13 pm

I understand but wondered what the skin will be? Usually the strength is in the skins and the foam just holds the skins apart. Like honeycomb or corrugated cardboard or the webs of an i-beam or truss.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:44 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I understand but wondered what the skin will be? Usually the strength is in the skins and the foam just holds the skins apart. Like honeycomb or corrugated cardboard or the webs of an i-beam or truss.

Mine will have luan on either side of the foam and PMF as a final outer coating. What I am building is pretty large too so I want as much strength as possible. The main structure is 8' wide, 9' long and 6 1/2' high. There is no internal structure in the back half because I have a full width slide out.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:33 pm

ghcoe wrote:I could see lines still too, but they usually are easy to sand out.

If you live in Jefferson you may live close to me. George.

Between you and the Redwoods

BBQ Foam :Flippin Burger: Thank you for your Test details :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:03 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:So here is what I found concerning melting the foam.... If the temp stays around 200 it seems to be very stable and it can be in the heat for a very long time. I had pieces at 200 for 30 minutes or more with no melting. Once I got over 220 or 230 is where I started seeing melting.

The biggest issue with my process is that most people don't have access to a controlled oven of an appropriate scale to do camper work. Mode airplane stuff can be done in a toaster oven. :R An insulated box could be built out of foam and wood, maybe drywall or steel, within a reasonable budget. A propane burner could be used for a controllable heat source.

Your temps match my results. I usually soak at 95C (203F) for ten minutes then 5 minutes at 100C (212F) to seal the deal. 105C(221F) if it's a particularly challenging shape but that's tricky to do without collapsing. I'm using PVC tape as the "female" mold. it shrinks at 95C and keeps the foam from expanding. Remember, this is for 1/4" foam.

I use an 4 foot Box made from foil Faced Polyiso board. The heat sources are electric resistance controlled with a PID controller so I can control ramp up times etc.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies